“Fiver Friday is a big hit in Recessionary times”

Mr. Bumbles Restaurant and B&B
Ranked #14 of 65 Restaurants in Clonmel
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: You can bring your own wine and there's no corkage fee!!! "No Service Charge Included - We believe that our customers should have the option to reward good service personally". Spending 50 euro,you'll get €10 off on your next meal at Mr.Bumbles Restaurant.Your ''SAVE €10'' voucher you will receive once you have dined&spend 50 euro and is valid all day every day for 2 weeks..(Only valid when dining in and there's a minimum spend of 50 euro required,this offer excludes when you buy a gift voucher or B&B.)
Reviewed 27 March 2012

It's a sign of the times. Lunch for a fiver would never have been seen in the boom times, but recession brings on different priorities. Better value dining for patrons and survival for restaurant owners. Fair dues to the proprietors for giving it a bash.

This was a bit of an experiment. Mr. Bumbles is a restaurant that is considered a little upmarket by Clonmel standards and I would have consequently viewed it as a bit expensive. To see the establishment promote a 'Fiver Friday' lunch therefore, was interesting - and I was a little dubious. So I made it my mission, on this particular occasion, to see exactly how difficult it was to achieve the aforementioned fiver result, or to see if it was in fact possible at all. I was pleasantly surprised.

Not alone did I manage to leave Mr. Bumbles without spending more than a fiver, the lunch was fresh, there was plenty of it and the service was pleasant, efficient and swift. There were no snooty looks when I asked for tap water to drink, in fact a large jug of it with ice was provided. Neither did anyone put up too much of a struggle when I insisted that I was having no starter, desert or coffee to finish up. It was offered, a few times, but not to the point of making things awkward.

There was only one lunch available for the fiver, it was fish and chips, but that suited me fine, I love the said dish. The only disappointment was the fact that the offer didn't appear on the menu inside the premises anywhere, the picture is from the outside, I had to ask for it specifically as fish and chips from the standard menu will cost you €10.95, but it comes with a starter and coffee which I didn't want on this occasion. This was a minor quibble all things taken into consideration.

When the meal arrived there was a nicely sized freshly battered fish (see photo), a decent quantity of equally freshly cooked chips and a portion of tartare sauce in a lettuce leaf. A very nice meal for the price involved. To put it in perspective, a portion of chips from the menu normally retails at €2.95.

I had to dock the experience a few points for atmosphere, simply because there weren't very many there at the time, but I did arrive just after 12pm so the 'ambience' may well have been better later in the afternoon. The special lasts from 12pm until 4pm so you've got plenty of time to avail of it - again a selling point. It appears to be a weekly promotion as the Bumblers are currently promoting Bacon & Cabbage for next Friday's offer.

I would recommend it highly.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

everything was great food was gorgeous staff very friendly situated in a good location very good value for money i would really recommend a visit as i am fussy wit food but had all good things to say

Reviewed 11 March 2012

Dined here for lunch yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised. My salad was lovely and the service was excellent. (well done). The credit crunch lunch is amazing value. Keep up I will be back. Cheesecake was amazing!

Reviewed 4 March 2012

Tried mr b while in locality and was amazed that menu still almost same as has been over last 10 years... Still deep fried mush the best you can do?? Please excite us a little.

Reviewed 22 February 2012

Very overrated, asked for 4 medium rare steaks and were well done, so dry! Rest was poor too