“Horrible Owner/Mansager”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Clonmel
Dublin
“Horrible Owner/Mansager”
Reviewed 4 November 2007

The Hotel is very nice and the staff were excellent, the only bad thing about our stay was the Owner/Manager. Don't complain about anything as the only thing you will get from this man is rudeness and arrogance.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — The Owner/Manager (John Nellan)
  • Stayed November 2007
8 Thank linedance10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 19 September 2007

We stayed here for a week and loved it! The staff were very accommodating and went to great lengths locating an Irish walking stick for me. The food was superb, as was the in-hotel bar. The hotel itself is beautiful and the rooms very sumptuous and comfortable. Ask for a room with a view of the river and rose garden! We will be sure to return!

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cheffie46
Mow Cop, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2007

While this hotel isn't fabulous I strongly recommend it as Clonmel's finest hotel, having used others in the area. It has presence and the staff are well motivated without being patronising. Don't hesitate.

• Liked — Bar inaccessible
  • Disliked — Bar overwhelmed by Americans asking for silly, complex cocktails.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank Copyrightguilt
Galway
Reviewed 20 August 2007

Stayed here for two nights to attend a wedding on in the same hotel recently, overall a very enjoyable stay! Would definitely recommend it!!

Staff very friendly on arrival. We arrived at about half 10 at night and they kept the chef in the kitchen for us until we got back down from rooms. Food little bit pricey but very good for bar food!!

Rooms large, clean, beds very comfortable and nice views from windows, really nice grounds too, although a ten, fifteen minute walk from clonmel centre.

Leisure centre great, staff helpful, very clean facilities and worth a visit if you do stay at this hotel! Also a place to get nails, beauty treatments done etc at reasonalble prices! Great the morning of a wedding or as a treat!! It is in a seperate bulding to the hotel however!

Wedding reception lovely, food amazing, service great, room large with great dancefloor!

Slighlty pricey in comparison to other hotels, but service, facilities and overall stay great!!

• Liked — Service, surrounding views, leisure centre
  • Disliked — bit pricey...
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
Miami, FL
Reviewed 5 August 2007

I was here for only one night as part of a tour through Ireland. Generally, the hotel was very nice. The grounds are immaculate and nicely landscaped. The rooms are large and very comfortable. Keep in mind that this is a very quiet, lovely hideaway in the middle of nowhere, so if you are looking for nightlife and partying, you should look elsewhere (Dublin, for example). The good: As I stated before, the rooms are very comfortable and spacious. Also, there is free internet access (both wireless or through the TV). There was a nice flat screen TV in the room with many channels to choose from. The grounds are stunning. On one side (the back) there is a large green area that sits on the water. In the front the view is of hills and fields with lots of grazing cows. Th spa/fitness center is in a separate building next to the hotel. Although I didn't have a chance to use it, I did walk through. It was very nice with a large indoor pool and tons of workout equipment. It seems as if the hotel has built some additions (new wings) over the years. The problem is that all the different areas do not look at all alike, which somehow looks strange from the outside (especially the front of the property). The bad: First, the plumbing seems to be an issue. I was in room 55 (the "old" wing). Every time I turned on the hot water in the bathroom sink, it would spit and hiss as if there were air in the pipes. Very disconcerting! Also, the water pressure in the shower was quite low. Also, the walls were very thin -- I could actually hear the people in the next room talking and going to the bathroom. Not very pleasant. The worst thing of all, however, was that there was a blood stain on the underside of the bed comforter. It was obvious that it had been washed but it is still rather disgusting to peel back the bedspread only to see a spot of blood. Not at all what one would expect in a hotel of this caliber. Despite those few issues, however, it is a lovely property and I only wish I could have been there for more than one night.

• Liked — Quiet, secluded location. Beautiful grounds, comfortable room.
  • Disliked — "Physical plant problems"; low water pressure, "spitting" hot water in bathroom sink, blood stain on bedspread, thin walls.
  • Stayed August 2007
Dublin
Reviewed 29 May 2007

We had our wedding in Minella in 1998 and could not thank Liz & John Nallen enough for the most perfect day. Since then we have been going back to Minella at least once a year. We always get a warm welcome from both John & Liz and there is usually a treat in store for us, e.g. complimentary champagne & chocs delivered to our room, a free upgrade etc. We have had a couple of family events at the hotel also over the years and our family are also treated very well and made feel very special.

I was sent a text message in Feb with an offer for St. Patrick’s weekend, 3 night b&b with one evening meal for €165 per person which I booked as I thought it was great value. We had a great weekend. The rooms in the new extension are fabulous and have a five star feel about them. (Huge comfy bed with cosy duvet etc, very modern design & decor, flat screen tv, internet access & a wonderful balcony with table & chairs & fab views).

We had a lovely dinner on one of the nights, the food is very good. The menus are quite simple but it is quality ingredients cooked very well which is always a welcome treat. We had bar food on the night we arrived which was also very tasty. The breakfasts were also excellent.

I booked a massage in the leisure centre and I was very pleased with my treatment and the price (at €45, this is the cheapest massage I have ever had in Ireland or the UK).

I have one complaint around breakfast in your room. There aren't any cards to fill out & hang on your door so instead I rang down on two of the mornings. On the first morning it was OK, however on the second morning I was told they were too busy! I told the girl that we were happy to wait for a while until things were quieter in the restaurant so she agreed but did not sound the happiest. Breakfast arrived quite quickly and was lovely but if I had accepted her first answer, I would not have been happy.

Other than that we had a very enjoyable stay and we both look forward to our return to Minella.

It is a lovely hotel and in my opinion it's classification as a three star does not do it justice. Having stayed in hotels all around Ireland & the UK, mainland Europe, the States, Canada & South Africa, this is very well deserving of at least 4 stars.

• Liked — Warm Welcome for management & vaule for money
  • Disliked — Room Service for breakfast in room
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
Ballincollig, Ireland
Reviewed 21 May 2007

We arrived down there early afternoon and from the moment we arrived to the minute we left it was a really relaxing experience. I had a massage booked for myself and my husband with Mary O'Callaghan which was just divine. Would recommend having one - she was excellent. Unfortunately she is not there full time you need to pre book.

Then while himself when to have a pint and watch a match in the bar, I headed up to our room and hopped into the Jacuzzi bath - bliss.

Evening dinner was just lovely - very good quality and value. After dinner a stroll around the grounds is a must as they are really well laid out. The Hotel has a beautiful old 'Manor House feel' about it which just adds with the whole experience.

Breakfast was generous and yummy. The staff where helpful and friendly. All in all we couldn't have asked for more - we had a fantastic time at Hotel Minella.

• Liked — The complete feel of relaxation while there
  • Disliked — A good walk from the centre of Clonmel
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clonmel
Clonmel Park Hotel, Leisure Center and ECO Spa
#4 of 6 in Clonmel
Hearn's Hotel
Hearn's Hotel
#6 of 6 in Clonmel

Been to Hotel Minella? Share your experiences!