“Excellent stay”
Review of Hotel Minella

Hotel Minella
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Clonmel
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Thank you John and Elizabeth and all the staff especially Josie at breakfast , Helen housekeeper and Helen in reception and Karl in the bar. Wonderfull hospality , rooms very comfortable best sleep in weeks pillow top mattress so comfy, great views of the river Suir no floods tg.My home away from home .... Home was never so good. Excellent value great service. lovely welcoming complimentary tea and minella fruit cake on arrival, what a treat... And complimentary in theses days .... Lovely Roast Duck in the bar with a glass of wine .Staff so friendly , and give me directions every time I get lost in Clonmel. Can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: King beds great
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 1 February 2012

In general I found this hotel to be worn and my room was not very clean.
The leisure centre also was not of a very good standard.

During my stay I brought a problem to the attention of staff, and spoke with a man who I believe was the owner of the hotel. This man was very rude and unprofessional in dealing with me and my problem.
I also found the food to be expensive and not very good.

I will not recommend this hotel, it is expensive, unprofessional and not worth the money.
The owner and staff need lessons in customer care.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
13  Thank RaineyDaz
hminella, Owner at Hotel Minella, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2012

RaineyDaz, Austria.
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post this review on tripadvisor.com.
There are some misleading comments in the review.
We challenge your UNVERRIFIED criticism.
We are under the opinion that this is a BOGUS review as no guest
of the description outlined stayed with us in Januray 2012
and voiced these opinions or brought problems to our staff
and owners.
We pride ourselves on our product , service and facilities and it is untrue to say that our hotel is worn.

Reviewed 20 December 2011

The hotel is just 15 mins walk to the heart of Clonmel and it's situated close to the River Suir. The main building (reception and restaurant) is built in Georgian house. The food is ok, hotel's staff, well, some of them didn't apper to me be very happy and friendly, esps. the owner/manager of the hotel.

Room Tip: Take a room overlooking the River Suir or Comeragh Mountains.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
8  Thank AnnaKurcinova
Reviewed 23 November 2011

After reading the contradicting reviews on Tripadvisor, I didn't really know what to expect at this family owned hotel. See pictures for more clarity.

The hotel is situated in a rural area, overlooking the river on the rear; but the lovely town centre of Clonmel is only a 15-20 minute walk away.

As we drove into the grounds it was clear that the hotel would not win awards for architecture. The original country house had been extensively extended at various times over the years: 60's style large wedding / function rooms on one side, 80's style remote gym and pool in the grounds and finally a 2000 style five storey bedroom extension.

On entering the reception in the original house, which was either dated or full of character, depending on you few point; I asked, based on Tripadvisor recommendations, for a room in the new wing. I followed the labyrinth of corridors and lifts to my room. On entering I was more than pleasantly surprised. The suite had a large separate seating area with L shaped sofa and flat screen TV, plus small table and chairs, made more welcoming by small touches like artwork on the walls. Coffee making facilities were provided.

Outside the balcony overlooked the river and had a hot tub, it was covered and it looked like an ordeal to get it functioning (plus the weather was cold), but different if not very user friendly. It did however take over the otherwise usable balcony space.

My bathroom had a further jacuzzi bath and a TV built into the wall, which worked well if you wanted to make use of a relaxing bath. I just used the separate shower cubicle with its poor shower head, cheap temperature regulator and door which wouldn't latch closed, so I ended up having to put towels on the floor to soak up the excess water.

The bedroom was large, had a king size really comfy bed with crisp white sheets and lots of pillows, plus a fridge, safe and bath robes. My third TV was wall mounted. The room had full air-conditioning.

I ate in the restaurant. The food was excellent and service attentive and personal. The bar area was dated and not particularly inviting.

I did not have time to see the pool and gym and had to leave before breakfast, which was disappointing as I wanted to give a detailed and balanced review. Sorry.

In summary, the new wing offered excellent accommodation, but for me the emphasis was on hot tubs, jacuzzi baths with TV's and gimmicks, when I would of simply preferred a shower with a door that closed and a tap that let me regulate the temperature adequately.

The acid test: yes I would stay here again but can now understand why other reviews are so inconsistent, as its a place you either love or hate.

Finally, the service and welcome by all staff was fabulous and my experience totally differed from that of other reviewers which criticised the staff.

Room Tip: Get a room in the new wing.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 November 2011

I stayed in this hotel in October whilst working for a local client. My lift from the airport assured me the hotel was very good and he had eaten there on several occasions for functions and been pleased with it. The town looked closed up for the night so I decided to eat at the hotel as I was sure that there would be food available for late arrivals.
I arrived on Sunday evening from Cork at about 9:15pm to be told the kitchen closed at 9pm.
I was offered a complimentary hot drink and the bar was able to provide something to eat. The barman was excellent and soon produced a ham sandwich and some hot chips (fries) to go with it.
My room was in the modern section of the hotel and very large with two queen sized beds and a large bathroom.
Breakfast was a typical hotel buffet apart from the fact that after you selected your hot food, they put it under a grill for a couple of minutes to ensure it was hot enough?
On the following night, I decided to try the restaurant as I had been assured by my client it was OK. When I went down, at about 7:30, it was in darkness so I decided to order food from the bar. I had a steak and chips which came also with a side order of mashed potatoes, broccoli and swede which made an interesting combination.
The hotel is also a little walk from the town centre and the weather was not good which dissuaded me from eating out. So the next night I had room service and the food was not any better, stir fry chicken in, what looked like, a sauce from a jar. It only improved on the last night when I had a fish cake salad and it was tasty.
I also tried the leisure centre and the pool was large and warm enough. They do expect you to bring flip flops for around the pool and seemed surprised that I had not brought any and supplied a pair for me.
The area needed upgrading as it was in pretty poor condition. They are also working on flood defences for the river at the side of the property at the moment so the area is a little chaotic.
The hotel seemed very quiet, just me and a few Americans in the hotel probably also booked by their company.
Overall it was a disappointment to me as I had been led to expect something better.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank yorkshireman abroad
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Stayed here for a night recently, rooms are fine and its a nice hotel but I would agree that the receptionists could be a lot friendlier....didn't have time to experience leisure centre..but first impressions.....need a bit of work.!(It doesn't cost anything to smile and show a bit of interest in your guests stay...)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kayla9
Reviewed 13 October 2011

The owner of this hotel is the rudest person I have ever met. He has no concept of customer service and has clearly taught his staff everything he knows!!

The hotel is old and does not merit it's four stars. There are cheaper and better alternatives nearby.

Do not stay here!!!

• Stayed: August 2011
16  Thank mcm1000
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clonmel
Clonmel Park Hotel, Leisure Center and ECO Spa
The Horse & Jockey Hotel
Fennessy's Hotel
Fennessy's Hotel
#4 of 6 in Clonmel

Been to Hotel Minella? Share your experiences!