“Amazing stay”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Clonmel
New York
“Amazing stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2007

On a recent trip to Ireland my wife and I stayed at the hotel Minella and could not believe our luck. We were touring in the area and stopped for lunch. We were so impressed by the setting as the Hotel is located on the bank of a river with beautiful gardens and the warmth of the welcome that we decided to stay. Our room was amazing. The pool was a real treat and we lounged in the hot tub over looking the river. After a relaxing day we enjoyed a great dinner by the fire place. The staff and management could not have been more welcoming. We are looking forward to returning and spending more time at the "Minella" on our next trip.

• Liked — Warm welcome and facilities
  • Disliked — Could not stay longer
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2006

We booked the Hotel MInella for two reasons: to see Clonmel again after an absence of many years and to celebrate my 50th birthday in luxury. From the website I thought I would get luxury.....what we got was indifferent management (almost as if they resented having us as guests), indifferent reception, waiting and bar staff, a really, really naff bedroom with a jacuzzi bath (ye Gods!) and a sideways view of the river Suir.
Breakfast was served in a dungeon-like room in the basement with kids jumping around between tables and up and down the stairs, howling whenever they fell (which they did often). I love kids, but found the lack of intervention by parents and restaurant staff deplorable --it certainly diminished our enjoyment of breakfast.
Dinner was included in our weekend offer, so we trundled down to the same room that evening....talk about a blast from the past! Marie-Rose sauce??? I thought they had banned that, together with gloopy gravy. And here were the same awful kids, still squealing. We later learnt that they were the fall-out from a wedding that had taken place at the hotel and were probably exhausted and overwraught from too much excitement (not to mention the parents who were completely ignoring them.)

It is my opinion that the Hotel management should make up its greedy mind as to what makes the most money: affluent and knowledgeable guests who have come to relax or wedding parties and then specialise in one or the other --the two simply don't mix. There was a dispute over the final bill which involved my very tolerant and logical husband getting annoyed over the unnecessary intrangicence of the woman on reception. We WON'T be back.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — on your head be it!
  • Stayed October 2005, travelled as a couple
3 Thank piratequeen
Bristol, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2006

Stayed in hotel apartments in the grounds of Minella. Everything seemed ok to begin with then my 9 year old daughters bedroom sprung a leak directly over her bed. The manager John created a fuss when we asked to be moved. When we were moved to another apartment there was no apology or gesture of good will for the inconvenience of having to pack up. Then to our shock he let the room out again to somebody else, even though the ceiling was caving in. Will never stay here again. John the manager is very rude, is not worried about keeping the clientelle happy as long as he gets your money.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
9 Thank memphis1
Waterford Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2006

I was going to book my wedding in the Minella because is so near my home town and called in to John to get information. He was about as interested as the dog in the porch, basically threw leaflets at me and told me all the info was enclosed. I was taken aback by his rude manner as i expected that he would sit down with me.
I left, raising an eyebrow to what I had just experienced, booked my wedding in Lyrath Estate Hotel, Kilkenny - now that is a real five star hotel with excellent food,service, location,spa,...everything perfect!!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — attitude of management was very poor
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled as a couple
7 Thank vecwat
Co. Kildare
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2006

We stayed at Hotel Minella for a weekend. The hotel is in a lovely location a little outside the town. Our room was spacious, perfectly clean and overlooked the river Suir (the rooms on the other side have views of the Comeragh mountains but also overlook the carpark). The beds were very comfortable. The en-suite bathroom was also large and clean and the shower had good pressure.
The hotel is very nicely furnished (complementing the period character) and there are a few separate rooms for having coffee or a drink and reading the newspaper (supplied free of charge by the hotel).
Dinner proved to be a very nice affair. The food was delicious and the service impeccable. Breakfast is self-service but the waiting staff are happy to get you anything you might have forgotten to get yourselves.
The staff at reception, in the dining-room, in the bar and at breakfast were at all times courteous, friendly and efficient, even though the hotel was very busy with Christmas parties on both nights.
There is also a leisure centre with swimming-pool which, unfortunately, we did not have time to visit.
All in all, the special weekend rate (2 nights bed and breakfast plus one dinner) represented excellent value in a nice hotel in a lovely part of the country. We had a perfectly pleasant and relaxing stay and would like to go back again.

• Liked — The slightly Victorian atmosphere, the large bedroom and the hotel dog "Sparky"
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Clauds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2006

This year we decided to skip the tour and went solo. Aerlingus helped us book our hotels and generally things were fine. Upon checking in we found that this the place for weddings being from NYC we didn't know this and the parking lot bash that followed sounded like a blast. The rooms are lovely and nicely furnished and large. I found the staff to be a bit bored and put off by any request. We went into the village and although it was a bit of a hassle to get to ir was very pleasant and the people we encoutered there were wonderful. The trip to the area was exactly what we hoped for but the hotel could of been far friendlier.

• Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank luvsireland
Cork
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2006

I arrived at the Minella with high expectations, hoping to check in to a suite. However, far from being treated like a 'King and Queen', my boyfriend and I were treated as second class citizens, in my opinion due to our age, (20's) and arriving in casual clothing, (following a long car journey). When we could not produce a credit card for deposit purposes, the manager treated us with disdain, implying that he viewed us as potential trouble-makers. Having asked for identification, he accepted neither a driving licence or National Garda card. He even asked where we were from, as if this would make a difference. After being treated like this at the front desk, I decided to leave, as I could only imagine the level of customer service if we actually stayed there. So a word of warning to other young professionals... opt instead for the nearby Clonmel Park Hotel, where we stayed instead, and were truely treated like royalty!

• Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Cork_Girl1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clonmel
Clonmel Park Conference & Leisure Hotel
#6 of 6 in Clonmel
Fennessy's Hotel
Fennessy's Hotel
#4 of 6 in Clonmel

Been to Hotel Minella? Share your experiences!