“A hostel like a home”

Cashel Holiday Hostel
San Francisco, California
“A hostel like a home”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I stopped in Cashel because I wanted to be in a quaint Irish town with some history in it. In Cashel I found a charming hostel on John St. right in the middle of town. I arrived at night, and found a bunch of people in the living room sitting around chatting. There was a little wood stove warming up the place, a big screen t.v., a little library, a free computer, and people who worked there enjoying each others' company, laughing, and making me feel very welcome. The staff were from everywhere, and it felt as if this were someone's home, and everyone had come for a visit. After getting settled into my room (which was very clean and warm feeling), I went downstairs to find staff and guests in the kitchen (which was huge and very clean!) at a large round table, having dinner together and talking about their travels. Again it felt like more like a family than a hostel, and it was so much fun! Outside I found a nice seating area with an overhang to keep off the drizzle and a barbecue. Everything seemed brand new and ready for a fun sunny day. The staff recommended places to go and a charming Irish pub around the corner. The rock of Cashel has the most amazing views of Ireland! It's only a 5 minute walk from the hostel. I also went to Hore Abbey, which made me feel like I was living 1000 years ago! The staff also helped out by suggesting that I keep walking down the road from the Abbey. This walk was amazing! It lead me past horses prancing through the countryside, forests, and a lovely river that was beautiful. If you want to FEEL Ireland take this walk after stopping at this hostel. There's nothing like a small town in Ireland, and wonderful hostel to show you for a glimpse of time what it would be like to really live in Ireland.

Room Tip: Splurge and get the King Cormac. It's totally private like a hotel room for just a little more...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Crystal B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Ferrara
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Home sweet home! That's it ...when you travel, you have to trust people, you have to rely on others... I assure you, when you come to Cashel, you'll find a comfortable and cosy place at PJ's Hostel and B&B. Whatever you choose, Hostel or B&B, you'll find welcoming, friendly and reliable people inside the establishment. They'll make you feel at home, helping and suggesting you how to spend your time in Cashel in the best way. Feel free to live your lovely Irish experience in a family-run business because family is always close to you and accompanies your journey's unforgettable memories. I found my second home at PJ's Hostel! Thank you for your hospitality!!! :-)

Carino, accogliente, pulito e ben organizzato l'ostello. Di qualità superiore e lussuoso il B&B. La gestione familiare di questi stabilimenti affiancati è eccellente. Estremamente cordiale, disponibile e simpatico lo staff che mi ha fatto sentire come a casa.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Daniela R
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We had been travelling through Ireland for a week and Cashel Holiday Hostel was the best we had been in so far. On arrival we where greeted by the very friendly Manager who gave us extremely helpful advice and an awesome tour of the place, he convinced us to stay in Cashel for another night at a reduced rate which of course was very worthwhile. Everything at the hostel was above average and quite an eye opener, the room, lounge, kitchen and back yard area where clean, spacious and well looked after, if I had to nit-pick though I would probably say the showers could do with a little bit of work but other than that everything was excellent! would highly recommend!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Leslie O
Bishops Castle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Stayed at the hostel for two nights with 3 friends on a walking holiday to Ireland. Would not have stayed the second night if we hadn't paid ! We paid for two twins but we had a very small room with two bunk beds, beds clean but no curtain and toilet shower room was grubby and shower took an age to warm up. Owner met us and showed us around seemed a nice chap. He went and then the manager took over ! A very strange chap as others have said ! Obviously didn't want to be there and felt like he would blow up any minute. Kitchen ceiling pouring in water in the morning !
Cashel not much going for it apart from the rock church tour - so visit and move on id say

• Stayed October 2013
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I arrived there alone and at the reception I was really welcomed by the Manager (Icke)! Nice people and a really good tour around the house as well by him. I was integrated in the group even before i got my room ;) I felt comfortable straight away! Besides I was really lucky to be alone in my room and to be upgrated at no additional cost ;), really felt safe and secure in this place being a lone traveller, thanks again guys..awesome ;)x

Room Tip: They offer free security lockers, just bring your own padlock though.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank 656Laura
Thurles, Ireland
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I thought the hospitality and happy atmosphere was amazing! Something which you would not find anywhere else.
PJ welcomed us in to his hostel and showed us around the town. We were provided with brochures on where to go and what to do! PJ runs a horse and carriage tour in the town so he brought us on a very interesting tour around the Rock of Cashel.

In the evening we chilled in the common room which had a big tv with 100s of movies to choose from. The staff and other people staying there were really friendly and we made loads of new friends from all around the world.
The location of the hostel was fab!The hostel was clean and we slept well. It was great value and we will definitely be returning sometime soon.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ciara Q
Paris, France
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Let's start with the positive :
1/ The barbecue in the courtyard
2/ Well, there's no 2/ ...

Now, let's talk about the negative :
1/ Really not welcoming staff, especially the shaved-hair man who never answers you and was very aggressive when speaking to my boyfriend.
2/ No keys for the entrance door (which was kept unlocked all night, so that anyone could enter !) and no keys for our 4-bed room either !
3/ Cold shower everywhere
4/ Only 1 shower room and 1 toilets for a whole floor if you sleep in dormitories
5/ Expensive compared with much nicer hostels which offer lots of services and free breakfast for less !
6/ No free parking (contrary to what the website says)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sandrine B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cashel
Baileys Hotel Cashel
Anner Hotel
#1 of 3 in Thurles
Kilcoran Lodge Hotel
Clonmel Park Hotel, Leisure Center and ECO Spa

Been to Cashel Holiday Hostel? Share your experiences!