“Plesant and comfortable”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cashel
Cashel Town Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 16 Cashel B&B and Inns
Reading, MA
“Plesant and comfortable”
Reviewed 4 August 2008

This is a combination B&B and Hostel, however, they operate as two separate entities. This was our first stop in Ireland so we were not sure what to expect. It is located on John Street which is a sort of alley way. We were there on a weekend so parking on street was free, but I imagine that parking would be difficult during the week. There were five of us in a family style room. The beds were comfortable for the most part. The bathroom was clean and the decor was pleasant. PJ was very accomdating and helpful. We had a slight problem with the smoke alarm, but those things happen. The breakfast was fine, though you don't go to Ireland for their cooking. IF I were traveling in that area again, I would definately stay here again. The price was fair in comparrison with other B&Bs and they were very nice. It is conveniently located near the Rock and the town square. We ended up eating dinner at The Rock Cafe. Avoid that at all costs. Food was marginal at best and very expensive when you consider what you are getting. It is a glorified sub shop and for the five of us is cost 50 Euros. And we did not eat like kings. For a little more money I should have gone to a nicer restaurant. But this being our first night I didn't know better. There was also a beautiful Catholic Church right up the street. The Rock of Cashel was also amazing and the free (for the price of admission) tours are fasinating.

• Liked — The ability for the entire family to stay in one room.
  • Disliked — Everything was fine.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
tennessee
Reviewed 12 May 2008

My husband and I arrived and were shown to a large room with bathroom. Outside view was an unpleasant alleyway. On the surface things seemed okay. We were told to park our rental car on the street. We dropped our bags and headed out to see the rock of cashel. Lady at tourist office advised us not to park on street but in the car park which we did,.
Later when we returned my husband laid on the top of the covers to watch tv. We realized the bed mattress was uncomfortable. TV remote didn't exist and the advertised internet access was unavailable. It felt more like a hostel but we were paying B&B prices.
We decided to move to another place but were charged $35 euro cancellation fee. The owner was less than understanding and could definitely benefit from customer service training, We
found another really nice B&B down the road with private car park, pretty gardens and working internet for the same price as Cashel Town B&B, Had a great night in the Cashel pubs. Lesson = Don't settle for less, if it makes you uncomfortable..then keep on going and find another place

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank shannonTennessee

Travellers are raving about these Cashel hotels

Ardrossan, South Australia
Reviewed 13 April 2008

We enjoyed our stay at the Cashel Town B&B. It was very clean and comfortable with very friendly staff. Excellent location in the middle of town. To P.J., a grand host, ``And lead us not into temptation and deliver us from Mick Ryan's Bar.
Cheers for making our stay a memorable holiday enjoyed thoroughly by us both.

• Liked — Very friendly staff.
  • Disliked — That we had to depart.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed 1 October 2007

I concur with the below. I too ran into confusion about my reservation (made at their website, with email followup) and confusion about payment (in my case, whether I could indeed pay with a credit card for less than 50 Euros), but all was resolved in time, and didn't cost me more than a few minutes.

Another confusion: When you ring the door to the B&B, you're at least as likely to have the person come out of the co-owned hostel to the left.

I was shown my room and the person showing it immediately pointed out a leak that had just been fixed and asked if I was stilll ok with the room. The room (at the top of the first stairs, and thus directly opposite the front door) was very spacious, and the ensuite bathroom was spacious too by European standards. There weren't any free outlets except on a power strip under the TV, so I had to move a chair across the room to put the stuff I needed to recharge on it (or else I would have to put it on the floor, as the TV was "suspended" from high up on the wall and there was no other furniture in that corner of the room).

There was heating but not too much. I was perfect for sleeping (tho a little chilly when stepping out of the shower until drying off).

More parking info: The parking on the street outside the B&B is limited to 2 hours (1.60 Euro an hour) between 9:30 and 6 pm Mon-Sat. If you need longer parking, 1 1/2 blocks down John St and across Main St is the main town center parking, where you can park all day for 3 Euros. This is closer than the walk to parking garages at many hotels, so I had no problem with the distance. The only tricky part is that I had to hurry to move my car right after breakfast (which I ended just before 9:30) from the street to that all-day lot.

Cashel late September warning: I ran into restaurant after restaurant that had chosen the time I was there (last week of September) to close for remodeling. (I have no idea if this happens every year.) So Ithe places I had chosen from my guide book were closed. Fortunately, the B&B had brochures in the library/lounge from a couple restauarnts down Main Street that were both open, and since I was only there for about a day, that sufficed.

Breakfast (at least at the time I was there) was only served between 8 and 9:30 am, and they asked you to pick a specific time. Which brings up the fact that there is no alarm clock, or phone, in the room, so I don't think there's a wake-up service. So I just picked 9:15 am and went to sleep very early. :) It all worked out, but if it's your first night after a sleepless plane trip you might want to bring a portable alarm clock. ... Anyway, I had the continental breakfast and it was fine.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank sdlax
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 10 August 2007

Cashel Town Bed and Breakfast is on John Street, less than half a block from the city center. We found it thanks to Let’s Go! Ireland. We had been to the Rock of Cashel, and then stopped at the Tourist Info hoping they’d be able to direct us to a nice accommodation, but we were nothing more than a nuisance for them. We bought a map of the county from them and then we were on our own. So we hauled out the guidebook, and hoped for the best.

And that’s exactly what we got.

We rang the bell, and a young woman with long dark hair pulled back into a loose ponytail answered the door. I liked her immediately. She said she had a triple for us – a room with two double beds – but she apologized because her cooker had blown up that day and she’d be unable to give us a cooked breakfast in the morning, but nevertheless she’d have to charge us 30 euros each.

It was an easy decision. a.) I’m not always the best judge of character, but this woman was likeable and trustworthy, and I liked it that she put all her cards out on the table right away. b.) My oldest daughter is a vegetarian; my younger daughter and I don’t eat much meat, especially in the morning. Breakfast-wise, we tend towards the continental. c.) It’s so nice when I don’t have to ask the price, because when I ask what the price is I always feel like such a Philistine. d.) The foyer where we were standing had a wonderful tiled floor, kind of arts and crafts but Irish, or who the heck knows maybe it was installed last year, but it was beautiful, and the stairs and banister were pure Conrans. I liked the tile and wanted to be able to walk across it frequently. e.) The cooker had BLOWN UP. So, instantly, we had a story to tell our friends.

“Would you like to see the room?” our proprietress asked.

Of course I did, and so did my daughters. This was their first B&B experience, and I don’t think they had ever expected a situation where they got to look at a place where they could stay before signing on to actually stay in it.

The room was on the first floor (second floor, U.S.-wise) and it was large, much bigger than the Travelodge room we’d stayed in the night before. Two generous beds, a wardrobe, TV, two chairs, and three windows looking out onto John Street and the attractive houses opposite. A large ensuite bathroom, and as it turned out it would be the biggest of our three-week trip, bigger than our two bathrooms at home. Combined. The walls were decorated with poems and words of wisdom, done in calligraphy. The effect was intriguing and very cool.

So of course we took it.

We passed the evening away quietly. The girls took baths in the big tub that was next to wall tiles that showed a showering pig; we watched ‘Britain’s Got Talent’, and we went out to see the lights go on, illuminating the Rock of Cashel. I borrowed a book from the lounge – a cozy place where we could help ourselves to coffee, tea and biscuits. By Peter Tremayne, it was about Sister Fidelma, for whom our room was named. I scanned it before I fell asleep. In the morning I realized that the poster in our room was an illustration from the book.

We had a thoroughly nice stay, with only two glitches:
1. Parking was difficult. There’s no parking just for guests; you’re on the street and on your own. I had trouble finding a spot near the B&B.
2. The walls aren’t that thick, which is okay if you’re surrounded by quiet people, but it’s bad if you’re next to “Courtney” and her mom. Courtney may be a perfectly courteous person, but she was overshadowed by her mater familias, who was quite comfortable shouting across the room and/or over the sound of her hairdryer. Worse, the mater was American. We were ashamed of this connection, and were disappointed that she and Courtney seemed to be oblivious to the fact that other people were staying at the hotel when they came back to their room in the wee hours of the morning. We didn’t know what they looked like, but we could tell that they were our fellow Americans, and we liked them not.

In the morning we dressed for church (the cathedral was just up John Street) and went to breakfast. We were the only people who were breakfasting that day. Our proprietress greeted us and showed us to a table set for three in a sunny room with a view of wildly flowering fuschia just outside the window. Apologizing again for the infamous exploded cooker, she brought us tea and then a platter of sliced kiwi surrounded by slices of smoked cheese from Cahir, a town not far away. Orange juice, yogurt, muesli, and a basket of delicious breads appeared. A woman came in and started up a CD of a female vocalist singing wonderful jazz standards. It wasn’t what we would have scripted for our first B&B breakfast in Ireland, but it was perfect.

We were asked if we would like scrambled eggs, and we said yes. While we waited for them – engorging ourselves on cheese, kiwi and Irish brown bread – a woman entered the room and pushed her way through the door that separated the breakfast room from the kitchen. We could hear her through the door. “Courtney’s mom,” said Madeline, with a raised eyebrow.

She was right. Courtney’s mom was loudly paying her bill. She bustled out a few moments later, and probably, just like me, she was doing whatever it was she needed to do to be a good mother. But with all that motherhood entails, I do it at a lower volume.

Our scrambled eggs were amazing. Perfect texture, beautifully yellow, more yellow than any other scrambled eggs I’ve ever had, topped by a perfect sprig of parsley. “They’re from the owner’s farm,” explained our proprietress. “They’re very fresh.”

I’ve asked my girls what their favorite breakfast was during our trip, and they both said it was this one. As it turns out, Cashel Town B&B launched us on what was a very, very good day.

If you’re staying in Cashel, stay here.

• Liked — big, clean bath and excellent breakfast
  • Disliked — loud compatriots
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank plucky1
County Dublin
Reviewed 22 January 2007

My husband and I booked this B & B for our two night stay over the holidays. We met the young Canadian lady running the B & B and when she opened the door to our room were very surpised at how large and warm the room was. Not expecting any places to be open over the holidays and finding this gorgeous accommodation was a gift. Sheila was very generous with her wit and always friendly when we seen her.

When we go back to visit family we will be back definitely. Two thumbs up!!

Orla & Mike

• Liked — friendly welcome and large clean room
  • Disliked — breakfast was very greasy
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eastfamily
Whistler, Canada
Reviewed 9 December 2006

my husband and I were very happy with how we were welcomed with a very big smile from the canadian girl Sheila who is working at the B and B. Sheila made sure to take care of us and helped us with dinner reservations. The room was beautiful and in the theme of Sister Fidelma. We already told our family where to stay during their visit.

• Liked — Sheila was very helpful and so cheerful
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple