“A disappointment”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cashel
Joy's Rockside House B&B
Ranked #5 of 16 Cashel B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 September 2012

The proprietess demanded payment in advance, offered no refreshments, and the room I had while spacious resulted in a poor night's sleep. There were yellow halogen street lamps shining directly into the room (two large ones) and it was like daylight. Black-out curtains would have made a difference. Secondly the walls were thin and the family next door kept talking until 11:30 pm. This was one of the more expensive B & B's I stayed at during my 20-day trip to Ireland and one of the two most disappointing. I did not feel welcome at all.

Room Tip: This is right next to the Rock of Cashel entrance so parking is difficult. This B & B allows yo...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Auritania

Reviewed 1 September 2012

How great is it to visit Cashel to see the Rock of Cashel and see it while brushing your teeth?
Joy's Rockside is literally at the foot of the Rock and it takes four minutes to walk to the entrance.
We'd originally asked for a room with two double beds, but upon arrival, Joan invited us to view a room with a double and a single and that was the room with the view. Beds confortable, shower had power, four windows made the room extra bright, giant dahlias at the front door were visible from two of the windows, walk to pub dinner and, oh yes, the breakfast was very good. I had pancakes which were served with a squeeze of lemon (Irish style according to Joan) and maple syrup. Delicious!.Parking at the house was off-street.
When it was time to travel on, Joan had hand written very detailed directions to our next destination. Couldn't ask for more from a host

Room Tip: ask for the room with the view of the Rock
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank susanne a
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We are a family of 5. Our 3 adult children stayed in a triple, while my husband and I were across the hall in a double. The location couldn't be better...right next to the Rock of Cashel and a short walk to downtown. Joan gave us excellent guidance on places to eat and visit. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. The food is also good. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Joy's Rockside is clean, well-kept and ideally located for a visit to the Rock of Cashel. Unfortunately, we drove right by it and then paid to park in the public lot while we visited the Rock, only to learn that we could have parked closer by pulling into the lot at the B&B! Rem and Joy are lovely people and fix a great breakfast. Joan was an entertaining host and Rem was quick to offer tips about local sites. Don't expect high end decor and atmosphere however. Furnishings are plain and frugal like you'd expect when staying in the spare bedroom at your Grandma's house. It's not fancy or romantic but it's a bargain and there's not a lot of competition in Cashel.

Room Tip: Our room on the second floor, top of the stairs was plain but clean and overlooked an unmowed sheep...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Capt_Bonnet
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Joy's Rockside was perfect. The B&B itself was clean, comfortable and so pretty. Joan and Rem (owners) were wonderful hosts; with Joan giving us a lift to a local site, and waiting for us to look around so she could give us a ride home. I reported a small problem with my shower, and it was fixed before I could return from a stroll around town. I couldn't have asked for better.

And, the location could not be better. I can't tell you how lovely it was to wake up, and see out my window the Rock itself. It was so easy to have my well-prepared breakfast, and just stroll up the hill to the Rock, or stroll a little further to the ruined abby below, or just across the street to the cutest little woolen goods shop you could hope to find.

I wouldn't stay anywhere else if I were in Cashel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We spent our first night in Ireland here, and were we ever glad! Rem greeted us with a map and a smile, full of recommendations of hidden sites in town and places to eat. They checked us in - our room was ready early! - and it was just right. Comfy bed with a view of a field of sheep! Quintessentially Irish! We met Joan the next morning at our incredible breakfast, I had the traditional Irish and my wife had the rhubarb and homemade yogurt - all of it yummy. Joan gave us helpful insight into Irish living and when we left she even gave us a route to drive to see some awesome scenery. The location cannot be beat - you have a literally 1-minute walk up the hill to the Rock, so you don't have to move your car. Our only complaint - we didn't stay another night! Stay here!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2012

My daughter and I returned to Joy's for 2 nights in May. (wish we had stayed 3) We had stayed there 2 years ago and made it our first reservation for this trip. Joy's is the cleanest, most comfortable B&B we've stayed at in Ireland! Joan is the perfect hostess, full of ideas of where to go and eat. The room we had overlooking the Rock of Cashel was comfortable with excellent views. Joan showed us her new "self catering home" which would be an excellent choice for a family or group of friends. The home is everything you see on the website, very convenient to town and surrounding areas.Cashel is really a good home base to see this area of Ireland. You can be sure that when we return, Joy's will be the first reservation we make!
Leslie and Michelle Giresi

Room Tip: Ask for the room overlooking the Rock.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family