“Great place to get together!”
Review of Cahir House Hotel

Cahir House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cahir
Dublin, Ireland
“Great place to get together!”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I attended a school reunion function at Cahir House in December 2013 and it was just fantastic. The hotel really appreciated the fact that this was a group of people coming together for the first time in 20 years. We arrived in ones and twos and ended up sitting down to dinner well over an hour late in their tastefully decorated bistro. Despite our poor time keeping and the large group the food was excellent. I would really recommend the lamb shank!
We then retired to the large bar where the atmosphere is very welcoming from staff and locals alike. The room I stayed in was way beyond what I had expected from a hotel in a small rural town. Really top end for the price.
Overall a very pleasant experience at reasonable prices! Can't wait for the 50th reunion!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I did the public relations officer role on this event this year. Robert and the staff of Cahir House Hotel were very professional to work with from the get go and very down to earth people. Cahir House fed 233 people in their beautiful ballroom on New Year's Eve and the food was phenomenal! The waiting staff and kitchen/bar staff worked so hard on New Year's Eve to give us the night we were hoping for.
When it comes to food I look for the best and boy did we get that in Cahir House Hotel - for anyone planning a function/event you should definitely consider Cahir House. So so happy with the event and I can safely safe so were all other 232 people in attendance at our South Tipp Macra Masquerade New Year's Eve

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed here over the October bank holiday weekend. We were a large group yet the hotel were able to cater to all our needs very efficiently . Staff were very friendly and approachable and nothing was too much trouble. The service at breakfast was excellent and the breakfast itself was very good and individually made to order which i really liked.

• Stayed October 2013
Derby
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

We had the unfortunate experience of staying here on our recent tour of Ireland, it wats on our return leg of our holiday and after experiencing some wonderful hospitality and accommodation during our stay found this to be the thorn in the Ireland experience. The room was cold and dingy, it was like an assault course to get to the room and the staff were abrupt and un helpful, we refused to eat and drink at the hotel as we couldn't face more disappointment. Overall a real embarrassment to Ireland's hospitality industry.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nutty_CB
Regina, Sk
Reviewed 24 October 2013

The Cahir House Hotel is a 10 minute walk with luggage from the Cahir train platform. It' s best to advise the train driver that you are departing here, to ensure it stops. We were in Room 100, which is located in the original part of the manor, for 2 nights. The room was 'very large', with 2 bay windows facing the town square. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet. We slept very well, even with the pub right below us. Wi-Fi is free and worked well for us. There is no room safe. There is a pub/restaurant located on the main floor of the hotel. We ate 2 suppers here and had 2 great pasta meals, more than we could eat. We also had breakfast here, which consisted of eggs, sausage, toast, coffee/tea, juice, fruit, cheese, fresh croissants and buns. Breakfast was included in the price of the room.

The hotel is located 3 minutes from the Cahir Castle and 20 minutes walking from the Swiss Cottage.

We took the local bus to Rock of Cashel, 20 minutes away for a day trip.

We would definitely stay here again. The hotel and staff were excellent. And the people we met in town were very friendly. I even had Tim Horton's coffee from a small food store.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Trip Advisor, I am sorry...but you've let me down in a major way on this one! I did a lot of research into where to stay before choosing this hotel, and I based my decision largely on the fact that they have received such a high rating on Trip Advisor. But, as I sat in my room, I couldn't understand how--and the conclusion I have come to is that people are basing the majority of their review on the restaurant (which I will discuss later), and may have never stayed in the rooms at all. This hotel is quite deceptive--starting with the Trip Advisor review which is NOT at all accurate for the rooms. Secondly, when you walk in, the entrance is very pretty, the bar is nice, and there is even a "library" room where you can sit and sip your drink. All very updated and great to look at. Once you go up to your room, the fun stops there. My partner commented that the outside of the building (and from our room we could see the roof too) needed a good washing and a coat of paint. Once I got to the room, I could see that they must have put pictures of their suites on the website, for a standard room is not what is shown. Our room was in desperate need of a renovation. The doors, and walks, even those leading down to the room are dirty and need a good cleaning, along with the carpets which are worn and outdated. The carpets in the hallway don't even match between the different parts of the building. When it comes to sleeping in the bed--I would have been more comfortable sleeping on the concrete foot path outside! I repeat--concrete would have been more comfortable, unless you like springs sticking into your back! I had to sleep on top of half of the duvet and throw the other half over me--the mattress was that uncomfortable. When you sat on the edge of the bed, the top practically sank all the way down to the bottom. You could barely open the windows, and the room itself was quite stuffy. In the bathroom, there was no safety mat for the bottom of the shower, and it was quite slippery when stepping in. Online it says that the rooms are temperature controlled, but there was no way to adjust the temp in our room. When we got back to the hotel after an evening out, there was the most horrendous stench filling the lobby, and it carried all the way up into our room. The wireless internet was not working at all. Breakfast was good in the morning--and you had quite a bit to choose from, including a cold meat platter, cereals, juices, cheeses, and of course the standard cooked breakfasts as well. The food was fine--nothing to write home about though. The waitress was pretty cold and unfriendly, and never came to check to see if everything was OK or if I needed anything else. The restaurant is also quite updated in comparison to the rest of the place, so that is why I am sure it fares so highly on Trip Advisor, and yet, can have such horrid rooms. The final straw for me was the fact that they are very unbending when it comes to making adjustments for customers. The check out time is 11am, and normally most hotels allow you to stay until noon. We were running a bit behind in the morning and I wanted to get my run in. I asked the British lady working the front desk if we could check out at 11:30 am and her answer was a strong, "no." Her excuse: the housekeepers don't like it when people stay past 11am. Well, that is enough for me--hopefully this review will keep someone else from wasting their money, time, and sleep as we did. Stay elsewhere, you will be glad you did. One more note: the other thing you should be aware of is that this hotel is right on a VERY BUSY corner in town, and during peak times, it can be nearly impossible and DANGEROUS to try and cross here--the drivers don't slow down and there isn't any kind of a cross-walk nearby. Also, there is a free carpark behind the hotel, BUT they close and lock the gates that give access to the back of the hotel, so it is a little walk to the front of the hotel if you wish to use this carpark late at night. Otherwise, there is parking closer to the front, but it is pay and display.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank greyhoundymom
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

Where do I start, My husband & I could not thank the staff of Cahir House Hotel enough for making our wedding day so amazing. From the moment we met our wedding co-ordinator (Collette) we knew that our day was going to be perfect, Collette took everything on board & nothing was a problem, at any time day our night there was always somebody at Cahir House only to happy to help.
On the day of our wedding Collette & her team could not have done enough for us, We had the run of the whole hotel, no matter what part of it you were in there was a great atmosphere, the food was fab & there was always a member of management either David, Robert, or Collette to make sure everything was perfect.
If you are thinking of getting married and want a hotel that genuinely wants your day to be perfect as much as you do, with no hidden costs, with amazing staff & that
has great character with a very warm feel to it, it is definitely worth calling into, we genuinely could not thank Collette & her team enough they truly are amazing. Cahir house Hotel may not have 5 Stars up outside its door but once you step inside its 5 star treatment all the the way.

Avril & Michael xx

• Stayed July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cahir
Kilcoran Lodge Hotel
#1 of 6 in Clonmel
Anner Hotel
Anner Hotel
#1 of 3 in Thurles

Been to Cahir House Hotel? Share your experiences!