“Wonderful & Affordable Castle Stay”
Review of Carrigeen Castle

Carrigeen Castle
Ranked #1 of 7 Cahir B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 April 2014

The castle itself is a wonderful structure, and we were so pleased to be staying in an actual castle. The inside is a home with great kick-knacks that make it homey and inviting. Peig is a friendly older women set in her ways. She was very welcoming to us, and we did in fact enjoy our stay--one of our highlights of the trip. The rooms were comfortable, if a bit drafty--bring warm pajamas if you visit in the winter. David was very accommodating, especially with our phone calls we received.

Again, Paig an older women set in her ways, and it may be ideal if she were to change a couple of things--one would be to point out to the guests which rooms were off limits. There was a living area with the door wide open, so we sat in it, and she felt the need to explain to us (for 10 minutes) on how in all of her 38 years that's never happened and we should be respectful of private living spaces, etc...goodness, if she is that troubled by such an act, she ought to not only inform her guests, but also keep her room doors closed. We would never have knowingly intruded on her personal space. The second suggestion is to ask her guests how they would like their breakfast. She informed us the night before that we would be served a traditional breakfast, and we were happy to hear that as it was our first night in Ireland. At breakfast time, she serves us plates already prepared...2 lightly-cooked sunny-side-up eggs, 3 large sausage links, 3 pieces of bacon and toast on the side (in addition to the fresh fruits, jams, breakfast pastries and yogurt on the sidebar). It was a wonderful breakfast, but much to much food for either my sister or myself, which we told her we would share a plate--however, Peig insisted we eat our own plates. We were also a bit surprised to receive the plates as we were not asked how we wanted our eggs cooked--unfortunately, I can only eat eggs if they are done over-hard, so I asked her to please cook them really, really, really well--much stress on the very cooked eggs. She brings the plate out a second time, with the eggs over easy. So I asked again, if she could please cook them longer, truly to over cook the eggs as I cannot eat them runny. On the third time, she told us that we should eat what is given to us like her mother used to tell her 'finish what was given to you and not complain.' Ironically, we didn't complain once, but rather made what I thought was a reasonable request as I'm the one to have to eat it. In the end, I had to leave them on my plate as they were still runny (I don't believe she even took them off the plate the third visit to the kitchen). This really isn't such a big deal; however I mention it as Peig made such a fuss over the breakfast and how it was our responsibility to let the B&B owners know how we like our eggs (although, we weren't even aware she was cooking them until the plate was placed in front of us) and how it's a shame to waste food...goodness she was upset about it. Perhaps in the future, she should ask her guests how they like their eggs.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay, and we would recommend staying at Carrigeen Castle...be sure to get all the house rules upfront. ;0)

Room Tip: Request a room on the first/main floor, otherwise, you'll be placed on the third floor--the stai...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Denise V

Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

My partner and I are traveling around Ireland, stopping when a place takes our fancy. We really liked Cahir and decided to stay the night. It was 7.50pm by the time we made it to the Carrigeen Castle to ask if they had a room free, who wouldn't want to stay in a castle? The lady who answered our knock on the door proceeded to tell us that clearly we 'didn't care' where we stayed as we had rocked up so late, she quizzed us over why we were here at this time and what we had been doing, asked how many drinks we were likely to have in town, told us we couldn't go out and come back in after 11pm and was generally extremely rude. We decided not to stay, and her reception has left a bitter taste in our mouths.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Rowan_Kell
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Very very wonderful stay! A nice walk into town and to Cahir Castle. Such plush and wonderful rooms in the historic hotel. If you want to stay in a castle, this is the one to stay in. The owner Peig is so friendly and welcoming. She and our mom got along quite well and enjoyed one another. Wonderful and comfy sitting/reading room. My sister is veg and Peig took that into consideration for breakfast. HUGE and yummy breakfast. Great stay!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We spent a night at Carrigeen Castle recently and I was rather disappointed. It was the least welcoming of the B & B's we stayed in and not really a castle at all, but an old jail. The place is attractively decorated, or maybe overdecorated, but Peig is too much of a character for me I fear. I felt I had to walk on eggshells all the time to avoid setting her off. However, that said, the room was comfortable, if overpriced, and breakfast good. We were on the first floor and had a view of a scruffy courtyard.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank HelenZA
Reviewed 13 September 2013

My family and I really enjoyed staying at Carrigeen Castle. It would be hard to find a B&B anywhere that is as beautifully decorated and authentically Irish as this luxurious accommodation, and we found David and Peig to be helpful and welcoming hosts who provide us with excellent sightseeing ideas. We were allowed to leave our car safety in the parking lot all day prior to checking in, and it was only a few minutes walk to Cahir and it’s spectacular castle. I appreciated that there was a separate sitting room on the ground floor where I could make coffee at 5:30 in the morning without waking my family (most B&B’s only have coffee makers in the bedrooms), and Peig’s breakfast was easily one of the best we had in our 2-week tour of Ireland. We found Peig and David to be refreshingly candid, conversational, and personable who took a real interest in our travels.

Room Tip: David will work with you to select the best room for your needs.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tjfine
Reviewed 11 September 2013

When I'd had a chance to meet Peig and chat with her, I was glad I had ignored the few negative comments I had read. She is a character, so some people who might perhaps expect a bland hotel-type employee might just not "get" her. We thought she was great, and our Canadian guests were intrigued to be staying in an ex-prison!
Luckily she had booted the two young German brothers who were also staying there, up the spiral stairs to those bedrooms, as she had a feeling we were a tad older and might prefer ground level rooms - how right she was! Next morning we had a nice chat with the boys, who didn't seem to have minded in the slightest.
She also suggested a place to eat in town, which was a good choice.
My husband declared her fried eggs a work of art, and her coffee even met his exacting standards.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patsy T
Reviewed 23 August 2013

6 of us stayed a night at Carrigeen Castle. We loved the experience of this castle with lots of history.
Peg was full of laughs and we enjoyed her humour. They couldn't do enough for us and made our stay very comfortable. Breakfast was great, with a hearty Ireland breakfast. Price was very reasonable. Thank you so much for making our night special. I would fully recommend staying in your own Castle for a night, one of the highlights of our trip.

Thanks
Heather

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 50thparty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cahir
Kilcoran Lodge Hotel
Ballinwillin House
Ballinwillin House
#1 of 5 in Mitchelstown
Dundrum House Hotel, Golf and Leisure Resort

Been to Carrigeen Castle? Share your experiences!