“The place of legends”
Review of The Harbour Bar

The Harbour Bar
Ranked #1 of 6 Nightlife in Bray
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to the official page of The Harbour Bar, one of Bray's best loved pubs.Voted as one of the Lonely Planet's best bars in the world this is a gem located right beside the boxing club where Katie Taylor trains, often calling in to use the facilities.This is one of Bray's top spots for live music with traditional and acoustic sessions in the bar every Wednesday - Sunday and live bands in the lounge every Thursday - Sunday.The iconic Harbour Bar in Bray, Co Wicklow, is famous for attracting a glittering clientele and its visitors' book is a who's who of famous names down through the decades.The Harbour Bar is open daily.
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Always has been and still is one of the best pubs in the world. I hope it never really changes as these sort of venues are in big decline. Great relaxed atmosphere, fantastic decor and great live music.

2  Thank Mark M

Reviewed 24 November 2013

On a recent trip to Bray we met up with a group of friends from our glory days in the 60's and 70's..the Harbour Bar was our place. Kudos to Connor Duggan and his team for the loving care they are taking with the restoration..it still feels like home only better. The O'Toole touches are very nicely done, particularly the etching of Paul on the front window!
An historic landmark for Bray and all the Harbour heads..good luck for the future

2  Thank SCrampton
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Strange as it might sound, I bought my house in Bray because of this pub. It's packed to the rafters with film memorabilia, it's quirky and shabby and just fantastic.

5  Thank Eleanor O
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I got to stay in Bray for a week and discovered this spot. What a fascinating amazing place. It’s so different from the usual run of the mill boozers. They have 3 general areas. I like the old bar the best, but they have an old style snug and a back lounge where bands play and it’s for free. There is a huge mouse head that Peter O’Toole gave the bar hanging in the back. Plus a great beer garden. The locals are super friendly. Very eclectic vibe to the place. (although the toilets could do with a better clean)

I went down there over a few nights. Now here’s where it gets quirky. Night one, is run by a manager called Colin. I chatted with him, very nice capable chap who gave some great background on the history of the bar. Some of the locals explained that he’s the guy that actually keeps the ship afloat. he obviously cared about the place.From what I saw, the bar was clean, efficiently run, beer was good, staff friendly and welcoming. The locals explained that if I wanted to see some Fawlty Tower moments come back tomorrow. What could possibly be different on night two I wondered?!?

I arrived down on Wednesday night. Boy they weren't kidding. The place was a mess. Empty glasses everywhere, dirt on the floor, an old grumpy guy behind the bar with an unlit cigarette hanging out of his mouth. He didn't seem to have any of the beer I was looking for, took my money muttering to himself and threw my cash into a till without even ringing it up. I was shocked to learn he was one of the owners. He didn't seem to give a hoot about the place. Not long after, a younger somewhat overweight guy turned up, who proceeded to bar some guy next to me for some inexplicable reason. The locals said he was the son of the owner. He seemed to like bsing the customers rather than doing any of the work. If he likes you you’d get a free pint I was told. I was out of luck on that front. He managed to brake two mops while cleaning the toilet and then using the same mop to clean up a spill behind the bar. Disgusting.

I went back on Thursday and it was like I was in a different pub again. Place was clean and well run. One of the older locals explained that the place used to be run by the other owner who had passed away, but the current owner and his son had no idea how to actually run a pub. And hilariously the whole town knew it. They turn up and open the doors - appeared to be about the extent of it.

But don’t let that distract you from checking out this pub. It’s still worth the visit. Just ask what night Colin the manager is on!

6  Thank Tom H
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

This is one of the oldest and most interesting pubs in Bray. There is usually a good atmosphere and friendly reception and the food is good too. There are lots of interesting photos and memorabilia on the walls to peruse of Bray in times past, almost like a local museum

4  Thank StillorganSteve