“The Royal seems not to have moved forward”

The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Bray
solihull
“The Royal seems not to have moved forward”
Reviewed 30 June 2012

We have stayed here half a dozen times over the last 15 years and it is much the the same as it was years ago.Must say the pool is fine,open early and closes late,a towel and a swim for free!!Our room was quite small with a creeky floor.Bathroom too was very small and needed doing up.Last year we had a none creeking room with a concrete floor,I think in the newer part.The staff as a whole where friendly and helpful.there is a charge for parking,€5 per day.We are not sure that we will stay there next time as there are better hotels nearby.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with concrete floor!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Public Relations Manager at The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on our hotel. It is from these reviews that we can monitor our standards of performance. It is great to get feedback from one of our valued repeat customers.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed both our Merrill Leisure Club and our staff. We pride our hotel on having friendly and professional staff.

The hotel has been here for many, many years and it has been added to over the years. We feel that the mix of old and new rooms add character to the property.

If you ring ahead before your next visit and request a newer room we can try our very best to arrange this for you.

We look forward to seeing you again on your return visit.

The Royal Hotel & Merrill Leisure Club

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Polish first
Midleton, Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Going to a concert so just stayed one night 22/6/2012 at the Royal and coundn't wait to leave the next morning. We were located on the fourth floor (room 410). There were holes in the curtains, The headboard was not attached to the bed and kept banging off the wall at the slightest movement, Lights over the bed were broken and not attached properly, The bathroom was absolutely filthy, the loo would not flush for ages and hot water was not available for a shower. There were stains in the carpet and wallpaper hanging off the wall behind the radiator. The bathroom door would not close or lock and the corridors leading to the room were pitch black at night time. We rated it a 2 as the food was good and the bar staff friendly. We were charged 5 euro for a carpark as the hotel does not provide a parking facility for guests.
Would definitely not recommend this hotel and even took pictures of our room as we could not understand how this hotel could charge these prices for what we had to put up with.

Michael and Deirdre

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on our hotel.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the food that we had on offer and that the bar staff performed to their usual standards.

I have taken your complaint about your room very seriously and I will be sure to investigate the issues raised in your review. I would also like to apologies for any inconvenience your selected room may have caused you during the duration of your stay.

The Royal Hotel & Merrill Leisure Club

Travellers are raving about these Bray hotels

Kinsale, Ireland
Reviewed 18 June 2012

My first impression of this hotel was not good because the minute I parked my car I was approached and asked for €5 to cover parking fees for the night. Apparently the hotel does not own the car park attached to it. The hotel should have an arrangement with the car park owners so that the cost is included in the bill therefore not upsetting customers on arrival. I want to strongly stress that whilst the hotel is very old - our room was perfectly clean and adequate for the price of the stay. The staff are very friendly and top class. They are more than accomodating and they looked after us very well indeed. We dined in the bar and the food was nice but not great. We had a continental breakfast included in the price of our room and we were bitterly disappointed with it. The continental consisted of juice, coffee/tea, toast, yogurt, cereal and fruit. There was no croissants, cheese, eggs, ham etc., that would be expected of a continental breakfast. There was only one choice of yogurt, a small bowl of mixed fruit including tinned peaches. Overall, the hotel is disappointing considering it cost nearly €100 for a twin room. As I said - the staff were great but that was all.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on our hotel. It is always good to get feedback on how we are performing.

I am pleased to read that you were pleased with the cleanliness of your room. I am also pleased to read that you were impressed with our staff. The staff work hard to create a great guest experience for all guests that stay in the hotel.

As you have mentioned, the car park is owned by a separate company, but we are currently working on a solution to this problem.

Thank you again for your review.

London
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I have used this hotel a number of times and am always impressed with the good service, clean rooms and friendly staff.

On my last visit I arrived late and as I was checking in I realized I had left my wallet on the bus. The night manager jumped into his car and drove me straight to the bus station where I was able to. Ollect my wallet from the bus I had just got off. Exceptional service.

The pool isn't that big but ok to swim a few laps. The steam and jacuzzi and very nice. The gym upstairs is very professional with lots of new machines.

The rooms vary in size and quality. All have TVs and tea and coffee facilities. Always found them to be clean and always had a good night sleep. Some of the rooms are a little dated in decor.

I have not eaten in the restaurant but have used the hotel bar which is comfy and has attentive bar staff.

Overall a very pleasant hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Christopher O, Manager at The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Dear Guest Thank you for your feedback with regards to your visit to the Royal Hotel. I have passed on your positive comments to the departments you have mentioned and all we are delighted your experience was memorable. I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again soon. Yours Sincerely Richard Nolan Hotel Operations Manager
fivemiletown
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Our family of 5 stayed here twice in as many years and found the hotel to be the perfect holiday for families. The swimming pool is open when ever you want to go and it has a sauna and steam room with a jacuzzi in close vacinity. The food is excellant and staff very friendly, we will be going back.

Room Tip: book early and get a family room of your choice.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank brufmt
Christopher O, Manager at The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Dear Guest Thank you for your feedback with regards to your visit to the thre royal hotel. I have passed on your positive comments to the departments you have mentioned .we aredelighted your experience was memorable. I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again soon. Yours Sincerely Richard Nolan Hotel operations manager
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Recently stayed in this hotel. Reception staff were unhelpful. Impossible to regotiate the multiple stairs to the room after getting off lift. Impossible to find room as you had to walk through another numbered door to find your room.
Room felt dirty especially the TV changer. Seat on toilet not stable and moved about.
Breakfast was terrible. No fruit. Only cereal and "fry". When I arrived there was no orange juice. Tea pot leaked all over the table. One of my party waited 30 minutes for a hair-dryer.

Room Tip: Do not choose this hotel
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
I am sorry to receive your review and that your stay was unsatisfactory. It appears your experience, was far removed from our normal standards.

I have discussed your points in depth with all the heads of departments concerned as well as maintenance and can assure you that we have revisited, in depth the Royal Hotel policies and procedures to ensure standards are consistently applied. We are currently in the process of bedroom redecoration and I have taken onboard the points you have mentioned. Whilst I am not making excuses I am hopeful that you can treat your experience as an isolated occurrence and that you will consider the Royal Hotel for future stays.

I sincerely hope that you will take my comments onboard and allow me the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future if you would like to contact me directly please feel free to call me by phone 0862469890 or email - richard.nolan@royalhotel.ie.

Richard Nolan,
Ballymena, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Decided to try out this hotel for a two-night stay. What a disappointment. Kudos to the staff, they are great. But the hotel. It is very old, of course, and is situated right on the sleazy main street in Bray. (Not a decent restaurant or coffee shop to be found in this part of town.) The room we were allocated opened right out onto this main street, with double-decker city buses, trucks, tour coaches and all the other traffic passing a few feet from the windows. Asked for a change of room. Was given a room that looked out onto a tiny back yard filled with the hotel's heating and ventilating equipment, that ran day and night. Bathroom floor was sticky!!! There was no toilet-roll holder - the toilet roll just sat on the floor, or the edge of the bath. Towels were clean and soft and beds were comfortable.

Breakfast was quite comprehensive, with typical Irish breakfast, lots of toast and wheaten bread as well as cereals. Coffee cups had to be returned as they weren't washed properly from previous users. This hotel could be much more acceptable if the staff were given a shake-up regarding real customer service. Often little things count when an hotel is at a disadvantage from being on the main drag.

Ten minute walk to train station, fifteen to the large promenade. Bray boasts a magnificent cliff path that stretches south to Greystones. A good tough walk, and not for the unfit.

Room Tip: Can't sdvise on rooms as it seems to depend on amount paid for rooms. We are bargain-hunters, h...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Christopher O, Manager at The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club, responded to this review, 2 June 2012
I am sorry to receiveyour review and that your stay was unsatisfactory. It appears your experience, was far removed from our normal standards. I have discussed your points in depth with all the heads of departments concerned as well as maintenance and can assure you that we have revisited, in depth the royal hotel policies and procedures to ensure standards are consistently applied. Unfortunately we can not do anything with the traffic that is going up and down the town Whilst I am not making excuses I am hopeful that you can treat your experience as an isolated occurrence and that you will consider the the royal hotel for future stays.

I sincerely hope that you will take my comments onboard and allow me the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

If you would contact me directly me with your room number so i can look in to these issues by phone 0862469890 or email richard.nolan@royalhotel.ie so i
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bray
The Martello Hotel
#1 of 2 in Newtown Mount Kennedy
Royal Marine Hotel
Royal Marine Hotel
#1 of 5 in Dun Laoghaire

Been to The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club? Share your experiences!