“Layout of hotel needs improvements and updates.”

The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Bray
Hudson, Wisconsin, United States
“Layout of hotel needs improvements and updates.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

We stayed here August 2013 with my husband, two kids and in-laws.

Pros:
The location is in town near the bus, but it was quite a walk to the beach. The staff was friendly, but not overly accommodating.

Cons:
The internet works only once in a while and only after entering in a code that is good for about 30 minutes (they tell you 24 hours, but then you have to re-connect every 25-30mins), so do rely on that if visiting for business or communication using your smart phone.

Hotel: The entire hotel needs to be remodeled, it is showing its age. You can tell it once was a beautiful hotel. Even shows a picture in the lobby where President Clinton once visited.

Rooms: I'm pretty sure that we somehow ended up with the room furthest away from the front desk. It required waiting for an extremely small elevator or walking up two flights of stairs just to get to the 2nd level. Once you got to that level there were two sets of stairs and 6 or 7 heavy fire doors (I actually caused a small contusion on one of my arms when one slammed on it) just to get to the room.

I found it so comical that I even created a video to show friends and family back home exactly how long it took to get to our room. I joked that, should it catch on fire, the closest exit door took me outside of the hotel, but it was only to escape to the outside atrium in which the hotel surrounded the area.

If they offer a decent rate and you aren't planning on spending any time in the room, this might be the place for you. If you are looking for a romantic getaway, you might want to look closer to the beach.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Melissa D
Liam H, Director of Sales at The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your visit to our hotel and I am sorry to learn of your disappointment during your stay.

Since your visit to the hotel in August 2013, we have refurbished The Quinn's Bar, the lobby and reception area and we will be moving onto the next phase of refurbishing our rooms in the coming months.

I have noted your concerns regarding the location of your room, our family rooms are in a quieter area of the hotel, nearer the leisure club and I apologies for any inconvenience this caused. We do have other rooms available that are situated closer to the lift if you decide to visit our hotel in the future. Should there ever be an emergency in the hotel, the fire escape walkway is designed to indicate a path for our guests to an assembly point in the car park. I'm sorry that you had trouble the wifi facility, the wifi voucher code is valid for 24 hours use, however if the device is left idle for a certain amount of time, the code needs to be reentered to be reconnected to the internet.

Once again I want to thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I can assure you that your comments have been taken on board. If you would like to discuss any issues further or should you wish to return to the hotel on a future occasion, Liam, our General Manager will return on Monday 3rd February. If I can be of any further assistance in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Nessa O'Brien
Sales & Marketing Manager.
Ph: 01-2862935

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

This is an email I sent to the Manager of the hotel with no response :-(

Dear Liam,

My boyfriend brought me to The Royal hotel away for the weekend last weekend 3rd & 4th Jan 2014 as a birthday surprise for me and surprise it was, We were put into a room with two adjoining bed Which were very uncomfortable and the room was cold, damp and a horrible smell of sewage from it.

My boyfriend went to the reception to request the Following That day we move rooms and the lady said she will be in contact with us if there was availability when people check out. So we went for breakfast and that room was cold and damp we then back upto the room and awaited the call.

After 40 mins of sitting in the smelly room we got a call to say there was a room available so my boyfriend went to check it before we moved. He came back and told me it was cleaner than the room we had and already had a double bed, however, there was a smell of smoke so he had opened the window as I am asthmatic I could not be going into an environment like that.

We decided to use the amenities in the gym and the pool area was great steam room, However, the sauna did not work at all once again very disappointed. I went to get a massage and my nails done and I think this was the only part of the therapeutic relaxing weekend for me. Zara was so helpful and made my time there very relaxing.

I Looked upTripAdvisor before we arrived and had heard so many bad reports about the hotel, I never go on what other people say as I believe i might like it maybe I should have. Overall I was very disappointed with my stay and I had told the receptionist that the beds were disgraceful, That I woke up numerous of times to be spiked with a spring that came from the bed which i had taken a photograph of to show you.

I will look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.

It is now January 22 and still no response I would not recommend this place to anybody if its comfort and cleanness your looking for this is not the right place.

Room Tip: Do not stay here if your looking for comfort we were in two different rooms and both were shocking...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KathyM1982
Liam H, Director of Sales at The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear Kathy,

I was sorry to learn of your disappointment with your recent visit to our hotel on 3rd January last and furthermore that your recent email to our General Manager has not yet being repsonded to , I would like to explain that as Liam has been on annual leave he has not yet received your email for this delay, I would sinecrely apologise.

I would like to extend my sinecerst apologies for your dissatisfaction with your allocated accommodation. Liam, together with our Accommdoation Manager have adopted a strict criteria for all housekeeping staff on both the cleanliness and comfort in our rooms and it would be very helpful to me if you could advise by return which room you were assigned. I am pleased to be able to inform you that the hotel has plans to rennovate forty bedrooms which will incude contemporary furnishings and finishes in each room and will begin in Spring 2014. I would also like to add that we have a no smoking policy in the hotel and I am sorry for any added discomfort this caused.

I regret that the sauna was not available during your visit to our Merrill leisure club, this was a situation beyond our control and needed a part fitted by an engineer and was back in working order first thing Monday morning, again I accept too late for your enjoyment and I once again I apologise for the inconvenience this casued.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your treatments in our Merrill Beauty Rooms Kathy and I will be sure to relay your compliments to Zara our Beautician.

Kathy, thank you for taking the time to write to us, we prefer guests to leave the hotel relaxed , having enjoyed their visit and I am genuinely sorry that, on this ocassion this was not the case. Liam, our General Manager will be in touch on his return (Monday 3rd February next) and If I can be of any further assistance in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Sales & Marketing Manager

Travellers are raving about these Bray hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Booked a weekend with my 16 year old daughter 13th dec was given room 114 aww what a shame curtains hanging off rail carpet filthy bath and shower we did not use all needed a real good clean cant say a word about food that was brill but I would go back again if I get a refurbished room but my daughter will not spoilt her weekend sad as bray is such a great wee place and our coach driver was great with translink carol n eva mc auley northern ireland.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Carol M
Dear Carol,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us. I was extremely sorry to learn about your disappointment with your recent visit here at the Royal Hotel.

I have visited your allocated room myself along with the Accommodation Manger, and I apologies for the "shortcomings" of the room. I can assure you the issues you have brought up have been addressed (carpets have been professionally cleaned, curtains repaired, cleanliness of room raised).

I am genuinely sorry for any inconvenience you experienced. I hope we will have the opportunity to restore your confidence in us and that your daughter reconsiders her decision to return to our hotel. Please contact me personally to make a reservation and I will ensure that you are well looked after.

Nessa O'Brien
Sales & Marketing Manager.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

Stayed here in Sep 2013. Booked a double room for myself and partner last minute stay. Upon arrival we were greeted by a unfriendly member of staff at reception. Made our way to the room in a dingy dodgy lift.Arrived in the room to see two single beds having booked a double. I went back down to reception to see if this could be resolved. Receptionist wasn't too interested in trying to satisfy my request or even entertain the idea! So I had to go back to my 2 single beds in the room! I had to end up removing the dividing locker to the corner or the room and push the beds together!!! Was not impressed. Room was old fashioned however bathroom was nice and more updated. Also the WIFI was only available in certain rooms having it sated it was available in all rooms. Also asked to be put in a WIFI room for business and was told only about 20 rooms in the hotel catered for this and were unable. Overall was not impressed with the customer service given to me at the time.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank secret2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel and I regret to hear that you were so dissatisfied with your stay.

My sincerest apologies for any inconvenience in relation to your room allocation. I have noted your constructive complaints regarding the reception, I assure you we pride ourselves on receiving many complimentary comments on the friendliness of our team and I am sorry that on this occasion this was not the case. I have raised this with both the reception manager and staff.

Currently we offer wifi to designated rooms and all public areas. We do try and facilitate this to all of our guests, especially those who require a wifi connection for business, and I apologies that this option was not available to you during your visit.

Thank you again for sharing your experience here at The Royal Hotel, and please feel free to contact me personally if i can be of any further assistance.

Kindest regards,

Croydon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

Could not fault the staff or the food here but the rooms were a bit shabby and cramped. I booked a family room which did have a double and two single beds but not room for much more. A small dressing table and small round table and one chair. Kettle and tea making stuff was on a tray on a shelf built into the wall and was a pain to have to get out and set up in the morning, and on our second morning the lift and downstairs lobby stank of cigarette smoke ( in a non smoking hotel)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank margaret m
Liam H, General Manager at The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Margaret,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at The Royal Hotel. I was sorry to learn of your disappointment with your allocated room. I have taken your constructive criticism on board and relayed them onto our housekeeping team.

I am delighted to say that we have started extensive refurbishments in the hotel. We completed renovations of our Quinn's Bar, the reception area and plans to refurbish 40 rooms are scheduled for early 2014.

Please don't hesitate to contact me personally should you wish to discuss the matter further.

Kindest Regards,

Liam Hurley
liam@royalhotel.ie
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

My wife and I decided to escape Dublin for a couple of nights and come to Bray. I love bargains and we definitely got a great bargain with this hotel. The highlights for me were that you can see a decent chunk of parts of Bray from the window (well, from the room we were in anyway). The room was lovely, cosy, and warm. Yes, it was slightly small, but that added to its charm in a way. It had everything that one would expect from a hotel and was very comfortable. We particulary enjoyed the leisure centre as you have a view of the ocean (at a distance) from some sections and the steam room and jacuzzi were particularly nice. (The steam room had plenty of steam and the jacuzzi was dead on!). I do have to say that there are random customers, and the receptionists definitely have their fair share of nasty comments, but this appears to be due to lack of human understanding and basically ignorance overall. I also enjoyed the fact that breakfast was charged at two different rates: one price for continental and another for cooked. I would definitely consider returning again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Liam H, General Manager at The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us here at The Royal Hotel.

We were delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and found all aspects to exceed expectations and to be excellent value for money.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal Hotel.

Yours Gratefully

Liam Hurley
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

Were do I start stayed here for New years eve as we were attending the New years eve party.the only good thing about this place was the room was ready on arrival and the people we met that evening.first impressions of the room was that they were very out dated and dirty, mould on the Windows and everything could be heard outside as the Windows are like prefab Windows.the party was supposed to start at 7.30 with a champagne reception in the bar area this did not happen as it was moved to the function room with out any notice,then we were made queue outside the room to be seated which the staff even took there time to do.when we finally took or seats it was an age before we got any food,when it did arrive it didn't last long as my starter was put in front of me and I had to go out to the toilet and when I came back the staff had taken it away.did not get my main meal till about 10.30 that evening there were a lot of families with young children and some of these even had to wait that long.the only other upside to this place is that I've stayed there and would never in my life do it again.would have probably been more comfortable sleeping in the dargle.

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank johno1888
Dear John,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us at The Royal Hotel and I am sorry for the delay in response.

I was so disappointed to hear that you did not have an enjoyable evening at our New Years Eve Party. We pride ourselves in our party nights and what you experienced is far removed from the high standard in entertainment we offer our guests.

We are delighted to say that we have been undergoing a refurbishment plan throughout the hotel with The Quinn's Bar and the lobby area completed and work to begin on our bedrooms in the coming months.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel to restore your confidence in us. Should you wish to make a reservation directly through myself, I will be happy to ensure you are well looked after on your return. Liam Hurley, our General Manger, will return from annual leave on the 3rd of February if you wish to contact him directly regarding any further issues you may have.

Kindest regards,

Sales & Marketing Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bray
The Martello Hotel
Royal Marine Hotel
Royal Marine Hotel
#1 of 5 in Dun Laoghaire
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,959 reviews

Been to The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club? Share your experiences!