“needs love!!”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Bray
Belfast, United Kingdom
“needs love!!”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

hi we went to a murder mystery w/e to this hotel with ulster bus tours.the bus trip and driver were fantastic.we arrived at the hotel,welcomed with tea/coffee and bicuits.great!! we were allowcated room 120.well it was an awfull walk of bumpy winey corridoors,no help with bags or the offer of help.the room was in very bad order,the carpet was taped over the thread bear floor.there was a crack right across the wash basin.we were not impressed at all.cracks tiles on floor in bathroom. the manager came up at our request.he was very nice,but could do nothing for us,as all rooms were taken?the beds were comfy but covers were badly frayed.curtains were dirty,and ripped.a very unpleasant view from window,it could have been cleaned if nothing eles!! the furniture was good,and it was warm.the food was great the entertainment was great,the cast of the murder mystery show made everyone welcome and envolved.great fun.it really needs a lot of t.l.c.but over all the cast and staff did there very best,with what they had.for the price it was good value.

Room Tip: ask for a room near the reception area.its difficult to get to or even remember your direction.??
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Liam H, General Manager at The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

Unlike modern purpose built hotels with identical rooms, our rooms are adapted to accommodate existing period buildings. Many guests find this charming, while others do not. I have spoken at length with my Accommodation team to address the issues that you raised.

With regard to your service experience, I was very happy to read your comments with regard to both the food and staff.

I do hope I will get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future

With kind regards

Liam Hurley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Polish first
Drogheda
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We booked this hotel through a stay away voucher for dinner, breakfast and a couple's massage in the spa. From the get-go our stay was a huge disappointment. The beautician asked me did I mind if a trainee was present, I said I did not, but the two of them were chatting loudly and giggling between themselves throughout the whole treatment. My boyfriend was treated to the same nonsensical giggling upon escort to and from the treatment, but the trainee did not attend his massage. This giggling was very off-putting and made us feel very self-concious. Upon speaking to the general manager, he was not informed of any trainees, so who this girl was remains a mystery.
We had asked for a room with a view, as the website photos made the hotel appear nice...do not be fooled. Our view was of the all-night chinese restaurant with insanely bright neon lights that crept through the curtains, which did not close. The windows were single-glazed and thus we slept horribly, awakened by every conversation, car alarm and emergency service siren. The taps in the bathroom were all backwards, I had been waiting for hot water to come from the hot tap for 20 minutes before we chanced the cold, which was then boiling hot. Same with brushing teeth with hot water in the morning as the sink taps were backwards also. The shower head was fixed too low for my average-height boyfriend to use, the hairdryer was broken, and the free wifi has a time-out every half hour.
We went down to the bar at our reserved time and were left standing in the entrance for 10 minutes, defiantly ignored by the bartender, Warren. We sat ourselves down and he eventually stomped over, demanding "what do you want?" We said we were on the package dinner, he rolled his eyes and stormed off to reception without a word. He stomped back, slammed down two plain a4 pages with menus typed up and said "drinks?" I ordered a Sex On The Beach as I had seen it on the drinks board. His reaction? "A COCKTAIL??!!" Cue another roll of the eyes as he stormed off again. Ten minutes later he returned, but just before he came to us with the drinks, a regular customer or staff member in plain clothes asked what was wrong with him. TripAdvisor has a family-friendly policy so I am unable to type what he said in response, but profanity was used in reference to us. I was absolutely livid at this point, but there was no management available to complain to, so we ate, paid for the drinks and left.
Upon reaching the lifts, which are activated by your room key, a group of youths in hoodies and tracksuits demanded we let them in the lift with us, as they had forgotten their own key. This was very upsetting, as there were 4 of them versus two of us. We managed to block their way, and I rang reception from our room, who promised to take care of the situation. Less than five minutes later, we heard them running up and down the corridor outside our room.
The breakfast attendant was pleasant enough, but had a hacking smoker's cough which was very off-putting for mealtimes.
The food was the sole redeeming factor, but would be just on the cusp of 4-star.

We checked out early the next morning as we couldn't wait to leave the place, and were asked by the general manager about our stay. He appeared apologetic, but at the same time dismissively said "oh, the whole hotel is about to get renovated" and "that doesn't sound like him (Warren)", which made us feel our complaints were not being taken seriously. He then assured us he would be in touch to correct matters. I have yet to hear from him. No doubt this review will expedite the process.
Do not ever stay in this hotel, find a hostel instead.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Liam H, General Manager at The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Mrs Mogsey 89,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience at The Royal Hotel Bray. I would appreciate it if you would contact me directly at liam@royalhotel.ie so I go through the points you raised further.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Liam Hurley

Travellers are raving about these Bray hotels

Clonee, Meath, Ireland
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Bought the voucher for this hotel for my mother for christmas.We had originally had booked for a thursday and friday in Feb .My mum had a virus and we had to cancel.We asked would they be able to extend it for another 5 days after the voucher expired and they said no.Would have suited better.But fair enough.We had ten euro off any treatment over 25 euro each,there was a special of a massage for 30,so we rang to book it and another treatment thinking we would get ten off the massage they said no because it was already a special,but we were also going to get a pedicure so they lost out in 40 euro.so we left it.The room was basic.No glasses.No hairdryer.i had to ask for it they said they would drop it up,they didnt.We had a free bottle of wine when dining in the restaurant with voucher.The food was very poor.I asked for steak medium rare and it came out well done and cold.I didnt complain coz i was starving .A lot of distasteful people hanging around at the bar/reception area.The staff were very friendly and helpful.And the leisure centre was lovely.Me and mam still had a lovely time.actors and filmimg goin on and the weather was lovely.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Niamh M
Dear Niamh M

Thank you for reviewing your experience at the Royal Hotel.

It is disappointing to read your review which does not represent the kind of service and product delivery for which The Hotel is renowned our dedicated team strive to provide.
I would very much like to hear from you to discuss your experience in more detail and would welcome you to contact me at Liam@royalhotel.ie.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel for one night in Feb. Very cold in public areas and in our room. So much so that we went to find somewhere else warmer to relax and dine in the evening. Very poor service in the restaurant for breakfast and the leisure staff were VERY unhelpful. Alarms went off 3 times between 7am and 8.15am..not ideal when away to relax and had our 6 year old daughter with us! Didn't even get an explanation when we mentioned it on checking out! I've just outlined our main issues here but if anyone wants any more info on this poorly organised 'hotel' I would be happy to respond to any queries!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Helen D
Craigavon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

stayed 21/feb/2014 Bought a 2 night stay on treat ticket for my wife's birthday. after checking we got our room keys(incidentally the only modern thing about the place was the key card surprised it wasn't a ye' olde metal key) and headed for the lift this is where the problems started, the lift creaks and shudders and i would recommend bending at the knees while traveling on it as it comes to an abrupt stop at the floor. when we entered the room my face sank, it was like an old guest house damp ran down one corner of the room and the paint was bubbled and falling off this was also the case around the window, the furniture would not have looked out of place on the antiques roadshow, next the bathroom, a dripping tap in the bath had actually eaten a hole in the baths enamel leaving a long green coloured stain, the tiles were coming away from the wall and the control for the shower had exposed pipework that looked like a diy bodge job also there was no shampoo,shower ge or hairdryerl provided in the room as is the norm with hotels that live in this century. i have never asked to move rooms in a hotel before but i had to this time, the receptionist was nice about my complaint and assured me i could move rooms when one became available the next morning, we decided that was ok and went out in bray for a meal, on our return we decided to have a drink at the bar, bar was pleasant and recently refurbished although we had to keep our coats on as it was cold other guests in the foyer also sat with coats on. then it was off to bed not a pleasant experience as the mattress smelled moldy, during my sleepless night in my moldy bed with what sounded like a helicopter outside my room we decided to move hotels. next morning we asked reception if there was a computer we could use to access the internet (again the norm in modern hotels) but alas no computer for guests, she said we could use hers behind the desk if we needed to print something, but when we told her it was to book another hotel she was not prepared to let us do that, she did offer again to find us another room but our minds was made up. the receptionist did give me the wifi code to connect my phone and i duly booked a hotel in dublin from it. so i would not recommend this hotel (its like stepping back in time) if it called itself a guest house it would not be too bad as you would know what expect but a hotel it is not.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank barry m
Dear Barry M,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Royal Hotel and I regret that we did not meet your expectations.

At The Royal Hotel we pride ourselves on customer care and service of the highest standard and your experience was far from that which we aim to deliver to our guests.

Please be assured that all your comments have been taken on board and highlighted with the relevant departments. Your feedback is very important to us and it is through this feedback that we can improve the services we provide.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment caused and I hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Regards,

school
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I stayed in this hotel from February 18th to the 20th 2014 in room 257 the downstairs of the hotel is a very nice place the staff are very friendly and helpful it is well designed and laid out it has been refurbished since some of the photo's on the hotel site was presented they need to update their photo's of this part of the hotel. But the bedroom was a very different story it was old fashioned and dirty with stains on the carpet, mould in the bathroom around the bath and the window the bin in the bedroom part of it was disgusting I would not advise anyone to stay at the front of the hotel as from around 6am each morning the traffic starts and the blipping on the road crossing goes at least every 30 seconds and you can hear it very clearly in the bedroom, also the restaurant is not open during the week so you eat in the bar, which is no problem but if you go to a hotel for a break you like to eat in the restaurant, The breakfast left somewhat to be desired. I would like to go back to this hotel again as maybe I just got a bad room but looking at the other reviews maybe not but would like to give it the benefit of the doubt as the staff were brilliant especially the young girl in the bar. I would also like to thank the young girl in the beauty salon for her pleasantness and care

Room Tip: Stay at the back of the hotel and don't expect the lift to work in the mornings
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank catherineSchool
Dear Catherine,

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor with regard to your experience at The Royal
Hotel.

It is indeed a great disappointment to read your review and I am most sorry to note that your perception of our wonderful hotel is certainly not close to the kind of experience which our dedicated and professional team strive to provide all of our cherished customers.
I was delighted to read your comments in regard to the team that looked after you so well during your stay and have passed your comments on to the team members mentioned.

With recent refurbishment as well as constant and rigorous quality inspection on a regular basis, I am confident that you will enjoy a most pleasant experience on your next visit to The Royal Hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Thank you once again for your comments and your custom.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

Bought through treat ticket. Hotel should be closed. Smelly, dirty and the room they went to give us had blood stains on the bed clothes. I even rang this hotel and told them I was concerned about the reviews on trip advisor and they said they would put into one of the rooms which is refurbished, when 10 Years ago. The photos on website are very deceiving and should be taken now.
On the other hand treat ticket were brilliant.
I send them an email on the Monday and money back into my account that Tuesday. Stay away!!!!

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Thynds
Liam H, General Manager at The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Thynds,

Many thanks for your recent review. I was sincerely sorry to learn of your disappointment with the room to which you were assigned. On reading your deeply concerning comments regarding the stains on the bed clothes, and after personally investigating, I am relieved to inform you that the stains were in fact nail varnish. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the oversight and any inconvenience this may have caused.

I have spoken with my housekeeping team and I have emphasized the importance of high standards in cleanliness and attention to detail in housekeeping. I am confident that improvements will be made and I would hope that you may reconsider your decision and visit the hotel on a future occasion.

Should you wish to discuss your concerns in further details, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kindest Regards,
Liam Hurley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bray
The Martello Hotel
#1 of 1 in Glen Of The Downs
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
#1 of 2 in Newtown Mount Kennedy

Been to The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club? Share your experiences!