“The Hotel helped make our misadventure bareable”

The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Bray
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Just returned from the hotel where we have stayed many times.I had the misfortune to have my wife taken into hospital with a very bad illness.the hotel staff where wonderful in surporting me in my time of need. I had to extend my stay whilst my wife was having treatment in the hospital and the General Manager GAVE me a room free of charge. My thanks to ALL of the staff.The first part of our stay was fine,a nice room and food also very nice.The hotel is located in a handy spot , it is local to the Wicklow mountains and local to Dublin etc.It is also close to the Dart train to Dublin and beyound,The Hotel gets very full at weekends and can be a little hectic,but all in all we enjoyed our stay ( except the illness).

Room Tip: The rooms at the front get some traffic noise
2  Thank ronSolihull

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We arived checked in grand the lifts are a joke jump all the way need updating and we reached our room well as soon as we opened the door it was like a hostel room bed sheets dirty sick on the sink Windows were full of mould the curtains were manky the bed was broke and didn't even fit the base of it the kettle and cups were tea stained not wat u would expect after payin so much for it went down to repection and told them we would like a need room we could not sleep in that room they looked at each other and with out asking wat was wrong woth the room she said ok here is a new room all the money they make they could update the whole place very dissapointed with it

2  Thank Sean K
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Just returned from a very enjoyable coach trip to the Wicklow mountains. My holiday experience was enhanced by staying at the Royal. I found the staff very friendly and helpful. I did have a few problems with my room key and safe, but they were resolved quickly. The hotel is well situated for visiting Dublin ( close to the Dart railway station in Bray) and for exploring the mountains. Bray is a lovely place with long promenade and pretty harbour. It was really nice to be able to use the adjoining leisure facilities at The Merrill Club, with it's lovely pool, steam room and Jacuzzi (just perfect for relaxing before dinner after a busy day sightseeing). The food was good and there was a reasonable choice on the menu. My room was at the front of the hotel and had a lovely view of the mountains ( fourth floor!). The bathroom was very nice but the room itself was in need of refurbishment ( especially the window). Unfortunately the hotel corridors were a bit dark and if the lift was busy it was a bit of a trek up to my room. I feel I probably wasn't in one of the hotels best rooms, but feel that considering I was on a coach trip and as the holiday was reasonably priced I wasn't disappointed. I was quite relieved when I had settled in as some of the hotel reviews are not good.

Room Tip: Higher rooms at the front - better views and away from street noise.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Ann H
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Booked for two nights but only stayed one which was enough. Bedrooms needed alot of updating and corridors leading to bedrooms where stuffy and smelt bad. Toilets in reception area where awful and needed to be updated. The only hotel that i have ever stayed in that took full payment when i arrived rather then when we where leaving, so i couldn't get a refund as i left a day early rather than have to suffer another night we just left. Bar was serving dirty pint glasses but the dining room for breakfast was average. Will never go to bray or would not advise anyone to stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: pick a different hotel
1  Thank Laura C
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Recently at this hotel took a coach trip to Bray and stayed at the royal, staff very helpful and friendly, food for breakfast and evening meal excellent, plenty of choice if you can't enjoy the food then you are a very picky eater, bedrooms a little dated and in need of an upgrade but clean. Tea and coffee in the rooms plentiful but would benefit from a bigger choice eg herbal teas, chocolate and decaf coffee, would be great if they had some entertainment on in the evenings
Would stay there again

Room Tip: Rooms at front seem slightly better
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Well I am just back after spending the weekend there and it was AWFUL.... I am not a fussy person...Reception Staff were lovely... Quinn's bar was filthy... Ordered steak and it was shocking and they had no mushrooms in the hotel like how can u serve steak without mushrooms .... Breakfast on Saturday mornin was awful took one bite and left it .... Then our complimentary meal was probably the worst part ...there were 3 items on the menu to choose for our mains and both me and my wife took one bite and left ....so overall room was ok ... The reception staff were lovely even though our complaints seemed to fall on deaf ears... Credit where it is due the massage was lovely.... And as for the food I literally have never tasted anything so awful no matter where we ate.... And if I could I would give this a rating of -10....

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Aaron W
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Some people on here that run this hotel down and act as if they are snob should go and book in to a snobs hotel and pay the money they like to think they have to book into a 5* hotel allthough some how i think if they could afford it the would have booked into a 5* hotel.this hotel is cheap cheerful and affordable.ok its not as modern as most hotels now adays but its not all that bad.iv payed alot more in other hotels and had more complaints in them.got a cheap deal for this hotel for the weekend read the reviews after i booked it but i thought id just have my own oppinion about the hotel. Staff were very friendly and helpful.we ate an evening meal on the friday night and it was tasty and breakfasts were tasty also. The room was comfy enough but was a bit warm at night time but have had that in a few hotels iv stayed in before.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lexthelunatic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bray
The Martello Hotel
#1 of 2 in Newtown Mount Kennedy
Summerhill House Hotel
Summerhill House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Enniskerry

Been to The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club? Share your experiences!