“Ok Hotel”

The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Bray
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights for the Bank Holiday Weekend August 2014. The Hotel is very tired looking from the outside and needs a fresh coat of Paint. Our Bedroom carpet was dirty and badly needs to be changed or at least an industrial cleaning job to be done on it. There was no shower gel or shampoo supplied just 2 small pieces of soap. The TV was very old so when we turned it on in the mornings there was all lines going through it so couldnt watch it. The breakfast was ok but I have had a lot better.
The Reception staff were very nice and friendly as were the bar staff. The cleaning staff were also very nice and helpful. Overall its not too bad of a hotel as its central to everything and has a great fish and chip shop just across the road from it. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Do not get a room in the front of the hotel as you are right beside the main street and heavy traffi...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club

Reviewed 5 August 2014

From one or two Trip-Advisor rieviews, I thouht we were facing into the horrors of hell!

All in all, this is a pleasant if somewhat dated hotel. The staff are very friendly and the food is excellent. Having stayed in three hotels in this town in recent years, I would be inclined to put this one at the top.

It is situated on the Main Street in Bray, about four to five minutes walk from the Dart Station (and consequently the beach), and just opposite the bus stop for Dublin, which is very handy.

The train (to Connolly Station Dublin) takes about 45 minutes and runs regularly in both directions from around 6am until 11.30pm. Accordingly, if visiting Dublin, Bray, with its beautiful seafront, could make quite a pleasant base.

Very quick and efficient check-in. Both ladies operating the desk were friendly, and throughout the weekend, both helpful and informative.

Quite a large bedroom albeit with no view of anything very exciting apart from a blank wall! I am not sure if there are rooms facing the street, but if there are, the view of the church opposite would be pleasant, but on the other hand, I cannot speak for the noise from the road.

Excellent TV reception with most major channels. Quite a large bathroom, adequately stocked with toiletries.

We ate in the dining room the first evening (very large and airy space) and had a lovely meal. The steak was particularly good, and the fish was also excellent.

Next day in comparison, we had at a recommended restaurant on the seafront, and it was relatively disappointing.

Breakfast each morning was very good. A special word of praise for Mary, who seems to run the restaurant. She is a most welcoming person. Nothing was too much trouble for her, and she was always in excellent humour.

The public rooms are large and air-conditioned (bedrooms however are not, although a fan is apparently available on request from reception).

The bar is nice, (with good live entertainment both nights we were there), and the two barmen are both efficient and even when busy, remarkably good-humoured.

I did not try the Leisure Centre/Pool etc., so cannot comment on them.

Wi-Fi in public areas (you ask at the desk for the code), but as far as I could judge, very intermittent to non-existent in the bedroom we were in (356).

Therev were a large number of families staying in the hotel, and the kids (our grand-son included) seemed to be having a ball.

I have to say we quite enjoyed it also, and we will most definitely go back.

Room Tip: Room 356 faced the rear, with views of a well-plastered wall! Front-facing rooms should have a view...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The two young women at reception when we arrived were friendly enough, although for the next two days (we stayed three nights), absolutely no-one from reception, including the two on duty when we arrived, even looked up to speak, smile or even nod when we passed by. I found that odd, not to mention rude.
The room would have been fine, had it not been for the filthy carpet. It was a good enough size and had a good sized bathroom. There was plenty of storage and the room had a safe and an iron with ironing board and tea making facilities. The beds and pillows were comfortable and spotlessly clean, but the carpet was filthy. I think it in unrealistic to expect to arrive at a hotel and everything be so pristine that you feel nobody else has stayed there, but this had burns and spillage marks everywhere. In fact the spillage marks could easily have been removed by a quick carpet shampoo, then, although it would have had a couple of burns, it would at least have been clean. Luckily, because we had been staying in an apartment with marble floors, we each had a pair of slippers, and we made sure we kept them on in the room. I would have been VERY uncomfortable walking on the carpet with bare feet. The other thing that happened was the maid knocked our door at 8.10am and asked if she cold come in to clean, as my husband was still in bed and I was in the shower, he told her not yet, but she didn't come back at all, so our room wasn't cleaned or the beds made either.

2  Thank Ken58_12
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We were invited by friends to attend a function in the hotel. It was Saturday evening and we turned into what we thought was the hotel car park. We were charged €5. We explained to the attendant that we are eating and drinking but he said he doesn't care, the car park has nothing got to do with the hotel - there is in fact no car park for the hotel!! So you have no choice but to bite the bullet and pay if you are not familiar with the area.
When I tried to raise the issue with the receptionist, I was told "The car park has nothing got to do with us, it's a seperate lease." Talking about attitude towards paying customers!!
I explained that I'm a tour operator and would potentially bring people to the hotel but I might have as well being speaking to the wall. I won't bring anybody where my custom is not welcomed. There are other hotels in the area who would welcome us with open arms.
We had food in the hotel which was mediocre and not really worth a mention. We were asked if we will spend the night in the hotel, and we said no. We were told, we would get a "discount" on the food if we stayed. That means we paid more for our food than an overnight guest. So we were ripped off twice!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bianka M
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We booked a room last minute on expedia and got a re rally good deal on a double room. The hotel reception is large and the bar is good with live entertainment. The room is got was fine and everything we needed. There is quite a walk to some of the rooms, through several small corridors and areas of steps. I guess this is due to the fact it is an old hotel. The room and bathroom were slightly old fashioned but for a one night stop over it was fine. There is adequate parking for €5 for 24 hours and there is wifi, but what it doesn't tell you on the website is that the wifi is not available in many of the rooms, we had to use the wifi in the lobby area. The leisure centre is attached to the hotel and you do need swimming caps to use the pool. The hotel is in the town centre and it is a short walk to the seafront,
I would not advise this for a long holiday, as I would personally want a higher standard of hotel, but for a good value one night stay it was perfectly adequate.

1  Thank Louise C
Reviewed 24 July 2014

As soon as walked in until the minute we left, we were greeted with grunts - almost as if our presence was an annoyance. The ONLY member of staff to smile and offer a good quality of customer service was the car park attendant.

The rooms themselves were below par for what we paid - my room was even missing a telephone. My colleague's shower wouldn't switch off and wasn't fixed over the 2 nights we spent there. That's not to mention the big hand print and hole in the wall. Note, WIFI does not work in the bedrooms.

And to the main event. On the Friday evening, whilst sleeping - I awoke to a loud knock on my door at 03.50am. Naturally, I didn't respond. The knocking got louder and was followed by a thud. The thud got louder and louder until after about 10 minutes, there was quiet.

The following morning when I awoke, I was puzzled as to whether I had dreamt the whole episode, but this was all confirmed when I opened the door and found a fire extinguisher directly outside my door, and a round shaped dent on my door.

When reporting this to reception as a health and safety point (the fire extinguisher was off the wall), I got the following response:

"They must have been drunk then." - as insightful as ever - thanks.

Needless to say, the following day, the fire extinguisher had not been put back!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank tobylevs
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Just returned from the hotel where we have stayed many times.I had the misfortune to have my wife taken into hospital with a very bad illness.the hotel staff where wonderful in surporting me in my time of need. I had to extend my stay whilst my wife was having treatment in the hospital and the General Manager GAVE me a room free of charge. My thanks to ALL of the staff.The first part of our stay was fine,a nice room and food also very nice.The hotel is located in a handy spot , it is local to the Wicklow mountains and local to Dublin etc.It is also close to the Dart train to Dublin and beyound,The Hotel gets very full at weekends and can be a little hectic,but all in all we enjoyed our stay ( except the illness).

Room Tip: The rooms at the front get some traffic noise
2  Thank ronSolihull
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bray
The Martello Hotel
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
#1 of 2 in Newtown Mount Kennedy
Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel Dublin

Been to The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club? Share your experiences!