“Staff v hotel - different standards”

The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Bray
“Staff v hotel - different standards”
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here recently with my wife. We attended a wedding and therefore thought where better then the Royal for an overnight at a reasonable price. We checked in relatively early. Unfortunately there seem to be some carry on in the bar which resulted in a distraction for everyone. We could have been left standing around like fools but thankfully one of the staff, a young woman named Diana, showed an awareness and sense of professionalism which was missing from most of her co - workers on the night and she welcomed us to the main desk and checked us in. I made reference to the distraction around us and in fairness she brushed it off and continued with what I can only describe as a very competent approach in the situation. One of her colleagues from the bar also showed the same work ethic as Diana but unfortunately I didn't get his name. All in all the reviews of the rooms which I have only recently read are valid and the hotel does need an injection of life and cash. I hope the owners realise the potential they have in their hands as there is not a lot of Hotel competition in Bray. Some of the staff they have are 5 star equivalent. How they have ended up here is beyond me. Hotel management should take note before it's too late. Will I return - the jury is out on that!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Honestopinion1965

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Polish first
wicklow,ireland
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I went to the lounge of the Royal Hotel tonight with a friend. We were meeting for a relaxing chat. We ordered Bulmers cider only to be told they had no pints available ....in bottles or on draught . Brewed in Clonmel and they couldn't have it in stock !!! We have been in many pubs in Spain, England,Turkey and elsewhere and never a problem with Bulmers /Magners but in our own country it's not available !!!!!!! Then at 11pm the barman proceeded to put all the chairs upside down on the tables around us and sweep the floor . At 11.20pm we were asked to move to the foyer as the bar was closing. I do not think this hotel wants occasional visitors to its lounge and we will certainly not be back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank luckymark2

Travellers are raving about these Bray hotels

Wicklow,
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a family party, stayed in a twin room on the first floor. We went to the leisure centre which is lovely and clean, the staff here in the royal hotel were brilliant and couldn't do enough for us last night, we didn't get any food here so can't comment on that, one"fault" if there was any is that the rooms and corridors need updating but they were spotless in fairness. I would stay again for definite,thanks to all the staff there for looking after us all

Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2014

just back from a one night stay at the royal this hotel looks great online but my daughter and I were very disappointed, hotel needs a facelift, the pool not good or the leisure facilities. The reception staff at the hotel excellent. The lady who was serving and cooking the breakfast was brilliant, had no help, but had to also pay 5euro for parking.

Room Tip: The room we had was on the 2nd floor looking into wall
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank karen c
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We ended up staying in this hotel as on the way home from Wexford one of us was sick and couldn't drive the rest of the way home. We were overcharged for this basic outdated hotel at €140 for one night without breakfast. Considering there was a wedding on in the hotel we were put in a room on the second floor which getting to was near impossible, like a maze causing difficulty for the ill member of the party. However, even in this room none of us could sleep as there was people stumbling up and down the corridor shouting for the majority of the night. The next morning the service in the breakfast room was terrible. One member of staff was particularly rude and her attitude alone would put me off staying there again. We left the hotel promptly with no intention of staying there and certainly no intention of recommending it to friends. A terrible hotel for the money we were charged.

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

We went down to the royal hotel thinking it was lovely unstill they give us our keys I and my husband couldnt believe our eyes black walls flys all over the windows. When i went down to tell them they at 1st told me there was no other rooms. We had our 6 mouth old daughter with us and couldnt have left as she wasnt well. They give us a other room the carpet wasnt clean the walls had marks on them and pits out of the bath. The bed went inn at the middle when you got into it. The tv only had irish channel for children. And the kettle was black inside the iron was burned. And when i said about everything before i left they told me they where getting it done up. I will be seeing about this as i will want my money back.

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Just back from a very enjoyable stay at the Royal Hotel. We stayed here as a family for 3 nights. On arrival the reception area was clean and welcoming. However when we were allocated our room we were very disappointed. My husband went back down to reception and spoke to the duty manager called Ashraf. He was courteous and very apologetic and quickly allocated us another room without any fuss. The new room was much nicer and located beside the lift which was ideal for us as we had children and we were happy to stay. He reassured us that if we needed anything to just let him know.

The hotel itself is dated but i must say the staff especially the duty manager were very friendly, helpful and provide excellent customer care. The duty manager (ashraf) was happy to keep the bar open as long as the guests needed at night which made my husband happy and is a privilege that is not provided in every hotel. The children really enjoyed the swimming pool too. All in all we found it a nice relaxing stay and would definitely go back.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kellie5432
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bray
The Martello Hotel
#1 of 2 in Newtown Mount Kennedy
Summerhill House Hotel
Summerhill House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Enniskerry

Been to The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club? Share your experiences!