“Better than expected!”
Review of Esplanade Hotel

Esplanade Hotel
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Bray
Reviewed 8 June 2008

My mum and dad are about to celebrate their Golden Wedding in July. As they had spent their honeymoon in Bray, I wanted to take them there for one night while they were visiting me in Donegal for a week. I always use trip advisor when booking hotels, and have not been disappointed so far. The Esplanade hotel had a great deal on -€62.50pp for one nights dinner, bed and breakfast, but when I checked TA the reviews were terrible. I mulled it over for a while and decided to take my chances, as I couldn't get any other accommodation on the sea front, I was glad I went with my instincts. Before booking I rang to ask if they had a wedding on that day as we didn't want to be kept up half the night, then on my internet request form I requested refurbished rooms if possible. The rooms were spacious and modern, the food was delicious, and the staff were very friendly, so all in all my parents really enjoyed their trip down memory lane, and are considering a longer stay at the Esplanade.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 May 2008

The pictures on the webite are of the new rooms at the back if you book a seaview room they are horrible....

Booked a sea view room presuming it would be nice, how wrong can you be???? The room had a sea view but was desperate to be decorated. Freezing cold no heating on, bathroom poor, shower curtain stank. The shower trickled water and was hard to turn on and off. We stayed because we were tired after a long journey and unfortunately had booked to gp backfor 1 more night on the way back to the ferry. This time I complained about the room and we were given a room at the back. This was clean and modern and in total contrast to the seaview room however looked over the car park at the back. The resteraunt was ok the food was nice but the staff in the resteraunt couldn't cope with the amount of people as there was a party of golfers. Wouldn't go back to this hotel although Bray is a nice seaside resort

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joshisunderland
Reviewed 5 November 2007

Stayed here with my boyfriend for the October bank holiday weekend. I only read the reviews after I had booked so was quite worried. First impressions were good, nice place, old style. The receptionist was lovely - very helpful and efficient.
Room was horrible - tiny, stained carpet, not hoovered, shabby wardrobe and desk (which was tiny). Bathroom had some mould. Smallest hotel room I was ever in. The whole place could do with a touch-up, walls and skirting painted etc.
It was a pity because the staff especially the young receptionist with the dark hair was very nice. She derserves to be working in a more upmarket place.
Food was good

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank pakenhs2
Reviewed 9 October 2007

We stayed one night at the Esplanade - would have stayed longer but fortuntely for us they were fully booked. The receptionist was very pleasant and helpful and the breakfast was good with good variety of food. The room was very disappointing as it was just about big enough to fit in a double bed, small wardrobe, small table and one chair. With all that furniture we had a job to move around. The en suite was just about adequate but also very small. Maybe if we'd booked a twin room we would have had more space as they certainly couldn't have got two beds in that room. It is indeed a beautiful old building but that also means winding corridors and we were at the very end of one of these. Our window looked out on to a flat roof with the air conditioning units on it (no a/c in our room) and a blank wall. However as we were in the nether regions it did mean we weren't disturbed by any noise from the road. If you are lucky enough to get a front room you would have a lovely view of the seafront and Dublin Bay.

Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank ShropshireJessica
Reviewed 4 October 2007

My sister got married last Saturday and the reception was held in this hotel. The reception staff were friendly and courteous. The wedding ballroom was quite small for the number of people attending however the bar staff were good. The wedding meal was gorgeous. The bedrooms were very clean and nice. Mind you, we were in a new room and I believe the older rooms leave a lot to be desired. The breakfast was delicious. The rashers and sausages were especially nice. I have only one or two minor complaints and they are - the lack of car parking space in the hotel. However, on weekends there is plentiful free parking along Bray seafront and I am assured that it is quite safe.
I have to give them a big slap on the hand for their residents bar. We were attending a family wedding and the bar in the function room closed at 2am. This was fine because my sister had paid for a bar extention. However, I was shocked when I was told that the residents bar was staying opening till 2.15 am and to order drink before it closed. This was ridiculous. This is the first time I have stayed in a hotel where the residents bar closed so early on a Saturday night ! The hotel did itself no favours here. There was a large crowd of people eager for late drink and they would have made a fortune if they had stayed open, so its their loss.

On the whole, the hotel is nice and the staff are friendly and if they could get over their reluctance to open the residents bar, they would be a fine hotel

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank BurstYourBubble
Reviewed 25 September 2007

We stayed in this hotel over the weekend, i have to say we really enjoyed our time there, the rooms were spotless and crisp bright white bed clothes, and really beautiful curtains made from expensive material. Food was good, especially breakfast. Very impressive hotel from the outside and a safe car park to the rear. Inside is fine, not a 5* but totally adequate for the low prices charged. The only thing i could say is that i felt that the staff in the dining areas were a big scarce. But overall, an excellent hotel, excellent prices and would go there again no problem.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Shelly25
Reviewed 30 August 2007

I found this site after I had booked. We actually used this hotel on a tour with a coach company so you can understand I got a bit worried after reading the bad reviews.Never the less we decided to go through with the arrangements. We must have been lucky with our room, (613 fourth floor), it was spotlessly clean. The carpeting in the room and the corridor lookedto be fairly new. As far as I know none of our group had any complaints with the food, all of which I thought to be very good. Location of the hotel is good. The staff were always polite and nothing seemed to much trouble. All in all very good, would go again. No problems

Stayed: August 2007
3  Thank alby44
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bray
The Martello Hotel
Summerhill House Hotel
Summerhill House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Enniskerry
Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel Dublin

Been to Esplanade Hotel? Share your experiences!