“Dark ages”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Bray
Tipperary
“Dark ages”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I stayed here for a week for work, and never again. On check in I was told they wouldnt take a swipe of my credit card, so i could put food and drink on the room, as they apparently "dont do that here". I was told I would have to pay for things individually as I went! The roo was tiny, and in a serious need of updating. The shower was just a trickle and very disappointing. On arrival back at 9pm one night, I enquired if I could order food, and was told room service was not provided at the hotel, nor was bar food available, as the kitchen shut at 8:30pm. In a hotel?! WHen I asked whre he recommend i go for food, he said "theres a chipper down the road!" For breakfast each morning, I was told to sit in the same seat as the day before, because there was an old persons group staying and they needed to keep things routine, like the same seating in the breakfast area. Throughout my trip, I really felt like I was nothing more than an inconvenience and left on the Friday very disillusioned with the place. The only good thing about the place was the lady (whose name I never got) that worked in the breakfast area each morning. Polite, and friendly. Overall though, I recommend staying well away, as guests here are not looked after.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Tom O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Polish first
Cavan, Ireland
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed last night.
Check in staff were friendly.
The room was in need of a make over, however we had Ocean Veiw.
Bathroom is also in need of modernising.
The bed was hard and not comfortable.
The cleaning staff banged on our door at 10am even though check out isn't till 12. This I find very annoying.
The breakfast buffet was good but they didn't replenish the food as it was used.
Basically it is ok for one night, wouldn't recommend staying for a weekend. It has a brill location but needs a major revamp.
3 stars because it is ok for a overnight.

Stayed August 2014
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 29 July 2014

just back from a two night stay in a family room (2 adults and 2 children) at the hotel. The room was tiny, the sheets on the bed were not exactly clean, the heat in the room was unbearable, the curtains were torn and looked to be about 20 years old. The shower head and lead were disgusting, they were caked in limescale. Our package included a 3-course meal for the adults, the food was terrible, I cannot remember the last time I got served food as bad as theirs. Before I booked the room I read some reviews, someone had said that the hotel had the best breakfast buffet in Wicklow. Unfortunately I cannot second that comment! The location was brilliant, right at the sea front, however, our room faced the car park and train lines at the back. We spent as little time as possible in the room, I would not recommend it to anyone and we certainly won't be going back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Bray hotels

County Louth, Ireland
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I have never met such rude staff in my life. Very mean and unhelpful. We were told that to park we had to arrive early even though we couldn't check in until 3:00 P.M. I would never stay in this hotel again. The residents bar was open but every time you wanted a drink they had to open the shutters which was very loud and painful to your ears.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Katie R
Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Just back from a two night stay. We were there for the air show, room was very comfortable, only thing that let it down was a tatty lace curtain on the window and tiles in shower needed a good scrub but aside from that we had a lovely stay. Breakfast was very good with a good selection to choose from. Staff were very pleasant.It could do with a makeover but overall we had a pleasant experience and plan to go back next year.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
County Louth, Ireland
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for one night. The hotel is in an excellent location. Bray is beautiful and there are lovely views from the front of the hotel. Went to the air show. When booking online it said check in was from three. Arrived at ten past to be told that there was no parking at the hotel for us. There was no parking in the whole town (Guards were trying to move us from parking at front of the hotel and gates were locked) because of the show. I was told but the lady at reception that it "wasn't her problem". When I firmly told the woman that we HAD to park there- spaces magically appeared. Hotel is old. Wallpaper is falling off. Had a view of a wall from the room. Curtain rail fell off when we tried to close it. Stayed in a family room-two adults and three children. Breakfast was ok. However.. There were no plates and when I asked the "lady" working politely for plates she said "eh yeah i am getting them.. I am doing something else" and gave me a dirty look. Absolute ignorance from the staff. Stayed in hotels all over the world and never experienced anything like the "hospitality" here.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Lauranumb
Llannerch-y-medd, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Just returned from this hotel in Bray Ireland.The hotel was extremely clean and tidy.The staff were very cheerful.We were given an upgrade room when we arrived and it was very large with two double beds and very sturdy furniture,but the only thing wrong was the cistern was not working.The reception staff could not do enough for us.
The breakfast was buffet style and was a good selection,hot and very delicious.
I give this hotel 10 out of 10

Room Tip: any room is worth having
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bray
The Martello Hotel
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
#1 of 2 in Newtown Mount Kennedy
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,955 reviews

Been to Esplanade Hotel? Share your experiences!