“No recession here”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dublin, Ireland
“No recession here”
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Avoca food shall never disappoint, rich, lavish displays of wholesome hearty dinners and deserts, the only question is whether to go the monstrous Rathcoole or the more traditional Bray with the towering old oak trees and chandeliers , I would choose the latter as it is a little bit more majical. On a Saturday , prepare for having to park in a tree , literally and to face disheartening queues however they will move quickly an efficiently. My advice is to stay for a while, catch up with friends and enjoy an hour or two discussing the best moments of the previous month. Eating delicious food with dear friends while realizing the little joys of your trivial lives is a great way to spend a Saturday. It is slightly pricey , but worth every penny. Last but not least , there will be many a well dressed baby to swoon over.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank DdeB2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Honestly disappointed”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Was expecting more of an Irish, all hand knit or local production.(There were a few very nice blankets, and a couple of sweaters). What I saw was a lot of imported product, many of which I could purchase in the States with little research and a third of the price. Would not recommend this location for friends traveling. Nothing unique about it.

Visited January 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“Good food, excellent service, attitude to GF could be improved”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I am a long term customer of the Avoca Cafe in all of its guises. I have watched their evolution, and their contribution to the Irish food scene is without question "great". However as someone who needs to eat gluten free, I have to say their efforts to provide wholesome GF food is abysmal. The GF bread has to be one of the worst I have tasted. I understand how difficult it must be to produce Coeliac suitable food in an environment like the Avoca kitchen, well then source a good quality artisan bread that would be palatable. Even one of the brands available in the supermarket, e.g., "Pure Bred" would be better than what is on offer. This would really open up the variation of dishes that could be consumed by those who choose GF. What Avoca loses with regard to their attitude to GF, I have to say is gained by their capacity to employ some of the best staff I have ever come across. I speak in particular about the Fernhouse team. While we have seen many team members come and go, their core staff are always exceptional.

• Visited January 2014
Helena, MT
“Maybe our best meal”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We were driving from Dublin to Glendalough and saw the sign for Avoca's store. Their normal weaving stuff was sort of lost in all the other great stuff. We stocked up on really fun stuff for our upcoming stay at the Hermitage, don't want to rough it too much!

The café looked good but the FernHouse Café beckoned more. No reservation but we got in. And the service and talk with the waiter was worth the price of admission. Oh, and the food was amazing. Jane got mutton, she does not love mutton, she loved this. A place to sit back and enjoy oneself but most of the time you'd need a reservation.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank vintagetrailer
“Love love love this place! ”
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

I absolutely love the food and atmosphere in Avoca, we visit as often as possible and have never had a bad meal... The deserts are to die for too!!! ;-) looking forward to our next visit!