“Old and overpriced”

Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel Dublin
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Killiney
“Old and overpriced”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The hotel is quite old with wall paper peeling off the walls, in multiple rooms throughout the building (We were in a group), 19inch CRTs with such amazing features as internet on the TV for something like 5 euro per hour (welcome to 1999 folks). The bath has to be 30 years old and can not support people safely anymore. I would not recommend this hotel under any circumstances and read and read that since ages you are refurbishing the rooms... Well June 2014, the job still not done and we were many friends divided in aprox.14 rooms and all commented the same!

4 Thank bunny2203
Mark S, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel Dublin, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear bunny2203,

Thank you for your review and my apologies for your dissatisfaction with the rooms you were allocated.

We have and still are undergoing a large refurbishment project having spent €500k this year and undergoing a bathroom refurbishment of €200k+. We also have complimentary wifi throughout the hotel which I hope you availed of.

It does concern me to read of problems with so many rooms and I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly. If you would kindly contact me directly on mark.sl@fitzpatricks.com I would be happy to discuss the issues you experienced.

General Manager & Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Polish first
Wasington DC
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Upon entering the Castle we were not greeted, however when we did sit down with our reservation desk young lady she was delightful. After a spectacular trip across this amazing country we were so disappointed with this Castle. We are so In Love with this Country so it's very sad to say we will not likely return to Fitzpatrick's Castle. Our room view was awful, I would be ok with awful if the room was clean! The room had an odor, the bathroom was Not clean and it was just overall sad compared to the others. We spent much of our time in Dalkey so we would not need to be in the hotel. Unfortunately we did not have great customer service at the bar, we were ignored for over 20 minutes on two separate evenings. We are very relaxed folks who enjoy a pint and simple kindness. We saw the bartenders turn people away at last call. It was just honestly such a poor representation of this holiday tour. This is one of the most charming towns in Ireland. I suspect the locals expect better! I would have asked for my money back or changed hotels had I known where else to go!

2 Thank Dublin1028
Dear Dublin1028,

Firstly I must apologise for the cleanliness of your room. This should never be an issue and I will be investigating why this was the case with our Accommodation Manager.

I also apologise for the poor customer service you experienced this is not the norm here at the Castle as we pride ourselves on our customer service.

If you could contact me directly to allow me to look into this further on mark.sl@fitzpatricks.com.

Thank you for your review and bringing these issues to my attention.

Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed stay wish it was longer. Dinner last night was excellent. Desk has been very helpful several times. Location is handy for DART to city center. Live music both days. Breakfast was excellent. Wished we could have more time to just relax here. Needs some updating and replacements. Our room was small, but we liked it.

• Stayed June 2014
Mark S, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel Dublin, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear JohnF1949,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.
I was delighted to read of your experience and that the team here looked after you so well.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Ireland
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Visited fitzpatricks again last weekend and had another wonderful & relaxing break. We had a lovely room overlooking the sea. The service as usual was second to none. If you want to relax in a hotel that has the garden of Ireland on its doorstep this is the place for you. We'll definitely be back!

1 Thank 215deirdre1215
Mark S, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel Dublin, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear 215deirdre1215,

Thank you for returning to us and posting a review.

I am delighted to read that your return visit lived up to your expectations.

We look forward to your next visit.

NY
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Out of all of the hotels on our 10 day trip to Ireland, this one was the one we were most excited about staying in - that is, until our arrival. The staff is the saving grace of this badly worn hotel and if it wasn't for them, this review would be poorer. Upon arrival, we were greated by a very friendly young lady who went out of her way to do everything she could to get us situated after a long night of traveling. The room itself is where it went downhill. It appears we were given one of the much older rooms which faced the back parking lot. I don't even care about the lack of view, what I was disappointed with was the damp, musty smell in the room and the very badly worn carpet with a giant stain next to the bed that I wouldn't dare walk on without shoes. The beds were lumpy and if I wasn't exhausted, I likely would not have slept well. The room looked like it hadn't been updated in 25 years and the musty smell was just awful. It is a shame that the hotel let the rooms get this bad because the hotel itself is beautiful and the grounds were lovely. I hope the renovations they now have going on will help save this hotel from its fall from grace although sadly, I'm not too sure I would give it a second try.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room if you are staying here.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Freebird29
Mark S, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel Dublin, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Freebird29,

Thank you for taking to review us.

I apologise for your disappointment with the room you were allocated as you mentioned we are currently refurbishing our bedrooms and bathrooms which is nearing completion.

I would like to discuss this further with you and get more information about the room you stayed in and your experience if you could please email me on mark.sl@fitzpatricks.com.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I found the hotel very dated and jaded. Paid over €220 for a double room for 2 b&b and felt it was way overpriced given the poor standard of decor and service. Staff at breakfast were not pleasant rushing us to eat. Location is good and a short stroll to dalkey village with its nice pubs and Restuarants.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank John G
Mark S, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel Dublin, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear John G,

I firstly must apologise for your experience whilst staying with us here at the Castle.

As you may have read in other reviews we are currently undergoing a large refurbishment project on bedrooms, public areas & bathrooms.

I was disappointed to read of your negative experience with some of the staff here as this is most unusual. I will be investigating this with our restaurant manager.

If you would like to contact me directly about the issues you had please email me on mark.sl@fitzpatricks.com

co Armagh
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Had 2 night stay end of May14 and was accomodated in the Royal suite which had wonderful views over the sea. Room was luxury the only thing missing was a fridge but everything else was superb. Staff were all very helpful and friendly and a special mention for Kate in the resturant who looked after us so well on both nights when we dined with them. Food was very good in the evening and breakfasts also hard to beat. Good leasure facilities and pool and entertainment in lounge and Dungeon bar made the stay special. Hotel only 5 min walk to park which had wonerful views and again 15min walk into Dalkey which has many good bars and resturants. Will definitely return and recommend to others

Room Tip: rooms to front of hotel have balconies and some have views towards Dublin bay
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank florence057
Dear florence057,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the team here and I was delighted that they looked after you so well during your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

General Manager & Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Killiney
Royal Marine Hotel
The Merrion Hotel
The Merrion Hotel
#1 of 151 in Dublin
5.0 of 5 bubbles 3,158 reviews

Been to Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel Dublin? Share your experiences!