“A castle and a Cosmo...a dream come true”

Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel Dublin
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Killiney
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed at Fitzpatrick castle for 2 nights. Our room had a King size bed and a balcony. There was a maintenance problem that made it necessary for us to move to another room. They only had a smoking room which we did not want so they moved us to the only other room available....the bridal suite on the top floor of the original castle. It was beautiful. A king size four poster bed, claw footed bath tub, chandelier. It even had a secret hallway that lead to another room down the hall. We stopped by the bar where Connor made the best Cosmo I had since arriving in Ireland. A girls' dream come true. A great Cosmo and a room in a castle truly fit for Royalty. The staff went out of their way to make us happy from the minute we arrived.

The castle was perfectly located to Dalkey where you catch the train to Dublin. Perfect way to see Dublin while enjoying the outer areas like Dalkey.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dorie G
Mark S, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear Dorie G,

Thank you for your kind words about the Castle and particularly the team here.
I am glad to read our reception team responded quickly to whatever maintenance issue you had and that you enjoyed your stay.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Dublin gem- Fitzpatrick Castle, Kelliney, Co Dublin.
Had you shared the pleasure of knowing the late Paddy Fitzpatrick, hotelier bar none, it was no small surprise to find his grandson Mark Scott-Lennon - holding the fort as General Manager & Director of Fitzpatrick Castle – carrying on Paddy’s exemplary example of homespun friendly service and top drawer hospitality.
Over some three decades our travels to Chicago, New York and Ireland have always included one, any, of Fitzpatrick Family Group of Hotels – hence our May 2014 expedition to Fitzpatrick’s Castle.
What a comfort to see John Fitzpatrick in the dining room, last met at Fitzpatrick’s Shannon Shamrock years back – and he still remembers us!
Our suite, 301, left nothing to be desired, comfy, quiet, tastefully furnished – in short home away from home.
The sumptuous lounge proved ideal for greeting old pals over a friendly pint. Then dinner in the subterranean Castle Grill, how about:
Oven Roast Fillet of Sea Bass €20.00 Served with a Spinach Leaf Potato Cake and a Lemon Butter
Or
Shrimp ‘Carbonara’ €18.50 bound in a Creamy Cheese Sauce with Linguini Pasta
Instead we asked chef to prepare fresh caught Cod, succulently served with a light herb based sauce, undercooked asparagus and roast potato – superb!
An easy walk meanders downhill to the village of Killiney. Clinker-built boats adorn the sea harbor where adventuresome boys took a swim. Then a pint at The Club House bar before heading “home” to our castle.
Finding ourselves short on cash, local taxi driver Ken Smyth ran us up to the Castle – refusing to take a credit card for the small fee. “Ah, put it down to Dublin taxi driver’s good service...” sais he. Now that’s among the kindnesses which bring us back to Ireland - time and again.

Room Tip: Ask for room 301, superb traditional old world atmosphere, spacious and most welcoming, Handy for re...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jim L
Mark S, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Jim L,

Thank you very much for your kind review.

It was a pleasure to meet with you and your wife Eileen during your stay with us.
Thank you for all the great comments about the hotel and the team here I will be passing on your review.

Hopefully we will get a chance to welcome yourself and Eileen back to the Castle again.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We decided to skip the car rental in Dublin & use the Dart to get from the airport to the hotel. You do need to take a cab so beware that you will spend roughly €50 round trip by skipping the car plus the additional €5 per person for the train. Be advised that the walk from the dart station to the hotel is a 15-20 minute strenuous walk up very steep hills. My husband & I are in our 30's & in
good shape so we didn't mind it but I wouldn't recommend for elderly visitors. You do have the option to take a cab to the hotel. We were very happy we didn't rent a car as everything in Dublin we wanted to see/do was accessible via the dart. It really is the most economical way to travel closer to the city. Make sure you do the cliff walk. Again this is a quite strenuous 5 km hike along the coast but you can easily grab the dart to Bray & do the walk & grab the dart back to Dalkey via the greystones station. We had dinner at the hungry monk which had great fish specials. Also check out the Queen's Inn while in Dalkey for some great fish & chips.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank KortPG

Dear KortPG,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay in Killiney. I am sure your comments will be very helpful to other reviewers.

As for transport suggestions to the hotel should you stay with us again. There is an airport coach service directly from Dublin airport to the hotel car park leaving the airport every hour on the hour 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This service is €9 per person each way so is a very economical way to get to the hotel.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Staff here was very pleasant and helpful. Common areas were classic and very nice. Our room, although generally clean was very old and tired. The sofa was stained and did not want sit there. The beds were hard and worn. Old tiny tube tv in an old beat up cabinet. With most programming in wide screen format, made viewable even smaller. Given the large room size, there is ample room to place a larger flat panel tv. I have not seen a tube tv in a room in years. The bathroom although large needs work. The outside cover of the tub is rusting and falling apart. No air conditioning like many older hotels in Ireland.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Paul S

Dear Paul,

As with your wife below I would appreciate if you could contact me directly to learn more about your stay and the issues you had.

My email address is mark.sl@fitzpatricks.com

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Driving up to the Fitzpatrick put smiles on our faces as the hotel is beautiful from the outside. Unfortunately, our room was a big let down. Although the room is large and roomy, the sofa was stained, the tv was small and an old tube tv from years ago, the tub was old and rotten in a few places, the beds hard and no air conditioning in the room. The common areas were nicely decorated and the staff was nice and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Susan S

Dear Susan S,

Thank your for you review and bringing the issues you experienced to my attention.

I apologise for your disappointment with the room you were allocated. Although we are working our way through our bedroom refurbishment programme there should have been no issues with cleanliness which I will be addressing with our accommodation manager to rectify this

Thank you for your kind comments relating to our staff here and I am glad that they looked after you well during your stay.

I would appreciate if you were to contact me directly so I could get more information on your stay. My email address is mark.sl@fitzpatricks.com

Reviewed 15 June 2014

first of all, don't be fooled. this "castle" is a red stucco building that looks like it was built in the 1970's and it's nowhere near Dublin. I mean, it will take you an hour to get there by public transport. this hotel is in the middle of Nowhere, or Dalkey, as the locals call it. the least impressive part of Ireland I have ever seen. restaurants are disgusting, everything is fried and swimming in mayonnaise. shops are high priced for cheap goods. seriously, there is nothing to buy in this town if you have any taste or appreciation for quality.
but, let's get back to the hotel. I am staying here for the weekend and last night could hardly sleep because of noise from the disco downstairs, then drunken people hanging around in front of the hotel, then running up and down stairs slamming doors. tonight it was more loud drunkenness under my window and slamming doors again, tour busses pulling into the parking lot and making announcements over the loudspeaker at 3am, then what sounds like a group of 10 people talking loudly in the hotel room next to mine. it's 4:30am right now and they're still firing on all cylinders here. I haven't slept a wink since I got in bed at 10pm and I have to be up and out by 8:30am.
I am in the most expensive room in this hotel. one would think I should not be tormented like this. I wish I could add audio to this review. if you were hearing what I was hearing laying in my bed right now you would think my one star is generous.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank belfastvi

Dear belfastvi,

I was very disappointed and shocked to read your review.
I would just like to clarify a few points that you highlighted.

The Castle was built in 1741. There have been extensions down to the left of the Castle in recent years but the original Entrance, Reception, Lobby and 8 Castle suites all date back to 1741.

I am sorry if you were led to believe that we were a city centre hotel, we only ever advertise that we are located 8 miles south of the city. Dalkey is a heritage town and is a popular location, both as a place to live and as a tourist destination and we have only ever got good feedback from our guests who have visited and dined there.

I apologise that you were kept awake during your stay and I hope our nights team offered you a room move or attempted to get to the bottom of the noise disturbance as this would be our policy.

We would never have tour groups arriving in the middle of the night so again this is something I will investigate to understand why you were disturbed.

Once again I would like to apologise profusely for the disturbance and that your stay with us was not the experience we strive to achieve for our guests.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed three nights bed breakfast and one evening dinner in May 2014. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was large with two double beds, cleaned every day and overall an excellent standard. Food was also excellent, couldn't fault it. We enjoyed Dalkey village and had some nice food and drink there also. We also enjoyed very much the pool and spa. Definitely will return again in the future.
Jim and Bridgeen Rea Belfast

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James R
Mark S, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Jim and Bridgeen,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and posting this review.
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your visit and I will be passing your review on to the team here.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

General Manager & Director

Also consider these accommodations in or near Killiney
Royal Marine Hotel
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
#1 of 2 in Newtown Mount Kennedy
The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club

Been to Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel Dublin? Share your experiences!