“It's seen better days”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Killiney
Delaware
“It's seen better days”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Seemed like a "wannabe" castle. Carpet is faded, Paint & wall paper peeling. Decor is dated. Rooms were slightly above average. No hair conditioner, lousy shampoo that doesn't foam up. Staff was friendly and they exchange Euros right at the front desk. They have a dog park with ancient ruins right up the street for outdoor exploring, There's a tea/coffee cafe in a 2 minute walk and town is about a 10 - 12 minute walk down a hill and the same walk back up the hill, Great exercise for all of us. The town was real small but had everything you needed. Eat at Queens if you can because this was our best meal the whole stay.
They make you purchase and wear caps in the pool. AND, they gave my daughter who was a mature, respectable 14 year old a hard time without swimming with an adult & ultimately made her leave. I tried to get coffee from lobby and he sent me to the restaurant, who sent me to the bar who was no where to be found.I tried to order cereal & it was a huge ordeal. You had to order the breakfast buffet or the hispanic waitress couldn't comprehend or speak english well. THANK GOD for that coffee shop around the corner. There is public transportation a few minute drive down the hill and you can take it to the city. If you want to stay in a real castle, take a trip to Kilronan Castle. Have no desire to go back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ILuvVacationing
Mark S, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel Dublin, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear ILuvVacationing,

Thank you for your review.

I must apologise for the issue your daughter experienced in the fitness centre and I will be speaking to our Fitness Centre manager to ensure this does not reoccur.

I would like to clarify a few points you raised.

The Castle was built in 1741. There have been extensions down to the left of the Castle in recent years but the original Entrance, Reception, Lobby and 8 Castle suites all date back to 1741.

Unfortunately swimming hats are a requirement in most pools in the country due to health and cleanliness issues.

I apologise for the issues you experienced during your stay and hopefully we will get a chance to restore your faith in us.

General Manager & Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Polish first
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Beautiful hotel. Spent 3 nights here with our two small children. Room was huge, two double beds and plenty of floor space for kids to play. Staff were wonderful especially the young girl at reception who was very friendly and made lovely conversation with the kids. Food was lovely and felt very comfortable sitting around with our children. We had a wonderful stay at this amazing hotel, will definitely return again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank GalwayGal
Mark S, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel Dublin, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear GalwayGal,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us.
It was a great pleasure to read of your enjoyable stay with us here at the Castle.
I will pass on your kind comments to the team here in particular reception.

We hope to welcome you and your family back to stay with us again.

Grayslake, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

We couldn't have been happier with our stay here. This hotel has a very quaint feel to it, and it was a great way to start our trip. The staff was very helpful at providing information. Although the hotel is outside of Dublin, the DART (train) is accessible by taking a short 10 minute walk into the town of Dalkey. The DART brings you into the heart of Dublin where you can begin your tours and other sightseeing. The hotel breakfast was delicious. Bar staff was friendly and remained open late to the hotel guests. Rooms were huge, and clean!!

1 Thank Nicola H
Mark S, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel Dublin, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Nicola,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Castle.

It was a pleasure to read of your stay and I am glad that we started off your trip to Ireland so well.

Hopefully we will get another opportunity to welcome you back to the castle in the future.

Dallas, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

If you ever dreamed of spending the night in a castle, being treated like royalty, I highly recommend The Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel. All the members of the staff are so eager to please!! I arrived hours before check-in time, and they allowed me to check in early. I had looked forward to eating in the Dungeon, and the food was beyond belief! My meal included the best Caesar salad in the world! My room was elegant and comfortable with a great view, and I had a magnificent nights' sleep. The hotel is in an historic old building, which is part of its' charm, but is equipped with the latest amenities, including a kick-butt fitness center and sparkling pool. I will always remember my night in the Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel! Someday I hope to go back! (My actual stay was in August of 2011)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Drea risa1014,

Thank you for your kind comments.

It is heartening to read of the stay you had and I am delighted that the team here were able to make your stay so memorable.

Hopefully you will make it back to us again.

Newtownards, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have just returned from a three night break. We had a wonderful stay. Really comfy beds. Lovely bed linens. Amazing food. All the staff where so attentive. Food as usual top class. Overall we give the hotel 100 per cent. This was my third visit and the hotel is consistently good. Can't wait to return. Thanks to everyone for a most enjoyable stay.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Nanasandie,

Thank you for reviewing your return stay with us.

I was delighted to read of your experience during your 3 stays with us and we look forward to welocming you back agin.

Thank you very much for your repeat business and kind comments about the team here.

Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel last weekend for 2 nights. Lovely hotel and staff very friendly and helpful. However our bedroom was very dusty ie headboard white with thick dust as was the alarm clock and Service Directory. I had to ask Reception to send someone up to reclean the room for us! Not acceptable when their rates are rather high! The balcony also could do with some attention - dirty and rusty. We are staying again next weekend so hopefully our bedroom will be gleaming!!! Overall though the hotel is lovely and really enjoyed lounging on the lawn having a cool beverage from the Lawn Bar - great concept!:) and looking forward to it again next weekend - weather permitting.
All in all would recommend this hotel, just review bedroom cleanliness please!

3 Thank deborah g
Mark S, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel Dublin, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear deborah g,

Thank you for taking the time to review us.

I must apologise for the dust in your room. This should never be an issue and I will be addressing this with our Accommodation Manager to ensure this does not happen again.

We look forward to welcoming you back this weekend and if there is anything I can do for you in advance of your stay please don't hesitate to contact me on mark.sl@fitzpatricks.com

Oceanside, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was undoubtedly one fine place in its day and still shows a lot of elegance in it's decor and furnishings. It was cleaned regularly and the staff were attentive while we were there. I agree with a previous poster however when he asks if the place is going downhill. It's an old place and could do with some major remodeling - particularly plumbing. We were there for two weeks and SAW THE RED FOX!

2 Thank David H
Dear David H,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and choosing the Castle for your stay.

As you may have read in the reviews below we are currently investing heavily in bedrooms, bathrooms and public areas and we will continue to do so in the next year.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay overall and thank you for your kind words about our team here.

Hopefully we will get the chance to welcome you back again.

General Manager & Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Killiney
Royal Marine Hotel
The Merrion Hotel
The Merrion Hotel
#1 of 153 in Dublin
5.0 of 5 bubbles 3,099 reviews

Been to Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel Dublin? Share your experiences!