“Excellent in every way”
Review of Rathmullan House

Rathmullan House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rathmullan
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed here for four days in April 2014 with a friend who was going to a wedding nearby. As two ladies travelling together we were given beautiful large rooms with four poster beds next to each other. These were on the ground floor which meant that we could meet on the terrace outside our rooms for drinks etc. which was very pleasant. We had some meals in the main dining room and the food was excellent and the portions huge and the food very hot and well cooked. One evening we ate in the Cellar Bar which just does pizzas and we enjoyed its informality and also tasting the local beers which are a speciality here. The young men serving there were friendly and helpful.
Breakfasts were again excellent - cooked fresh to order - not having been stood on a hot plate buffet style going cold as is so common in hotels these days. The portions were huge. In addition there was a plentiful supply of fruit, yoghurt, bread, jams, cheese etc. on a side table.
The surrounding scenery is exquisite and the gardens and beech very pleasant. We particularly liked sitting by the open fires in the evening with a pre or post prandial.
A very enjoyable stay and we would gladly return there.

Room Tip: Did not see the upstairs rooms but the ground floor ones are very pleasant especially with access to...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Travelled from Northern Ireland for day trip as weather good. Stopping here for lunch - had booked but probably wasn't necessary although we were told the Easter weekend had been busy. Couldn't have had better attention and service for an excellent lunch in the dining room. Had walk around beautiful grounds down to beach which is close by. We had medley of fish selection fresh and perfectly cooked. Good wine list and reasonably priced by glass, carafe or bottle. Did not stay so cannot comment on rooms but definitely worth a visit

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Went to rathmullan house for bar food recently. We had heard many good reports of rathmull an house and the food. We arrived in a near empty bar and were told we would have to wait while the waiter checked to see if it was ok for us to eat as we weren't residents. We were told we could stay, but could only order from the lunch menu. This was at 6.30 pm. I found this very strange, and though the food we had was good, it would not encourage me to visit again in any capacity.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank kath97
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed April 4-11 and I have to say it was one of the best travel experiences I have experienced. The Inn and the grounds are beautiful with many places to cozy up to a fire or sit in the garden depending on the weather. The friendly staff are consistently taking care of every detail to make you comfortable, yet are not intrusive. The rooms are large, but also cozy and nicely furnished with comfortable beds and pillows. The bay wraps around the Inn so every room has Views of the gardens and water, with balconies or patios. The food was excellent and beyond expectations. We had breakfast every day, several lunches and dinners. Through the week I ordered beef (very tasty, tender and perfectly done), seafood and fish with wonderful sauces, tender flavorful chicken, and tasty lamb. The soups were delicious. Also there were always very tasty gluten-free and dairy-free options available. During the week there was only one thing I was served that did not live up to excellence. I had a "mini" creme brulee that was soupy, but other desserts were very good. I am so very impressed with every aspect of this lovely Inn.

Room Tip: All the rooms were lovely and all are different.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2014

A few weeks ago we booked a Table for 4 Adults for dinner for the 16th March 2014.We arrived about 6.45pm and the House looked amazing and beautiful with lovely open fires. Dinner very disappointing Starters were ok, Steaks were tough vegetables very poor. It is the first Place we have visited that there was a 10% Service Charge. No Dress Code. My husband and I travel all over Ireland on breaks but for food this would not be top of the list. Very disappointing.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 461Anne
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

Having heard great reviews about Rathmullen I was a little disappointed. I felt that the chorizo salad was a little costly for what I got. The fillet was warm but not hot. The cappuccino dessert was lovely. But it's the little things that I was more disappointed with. No back ground music in the restaurant, nearly drove past it as the sign was not lit up at the entrance, a bit dark outside, no uniform for the staff, chips were over cooked. All in all it was ok and my party felt the same.

Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank LovinService1
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We have been back to this hotel on many occasions and I can honestly say it gets better every time we go.
From the moment you go through the door it's like going home. The staff make you feel so welcome and special no matter how busy they are or nothing is ever a bother.
The rooms are spacious with plenty of character. Both standard rooms and superior rooms have plenty of comfort.
As for the food, delicious, simple as that. The Cellar Bar has simple but tasty dishes at reasonable prices. The main restaurant serves locally sourced produce all year round, some so locally that they take it from their own walled garden. Breakfast is my favourite time, and I can say very happily that I don't think I have every had better.
Anyone considering this hotel, don't bother just book it, I don't think you would be disappointed.

Room Tip: Room 23 or 25 gives a nice Veiw across the gardens and over Lough Swilly.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pbjap
Rathmullan4, Receptionist at Rathmullan House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Thank you for your review.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stayed with us. It is lovely to see our efforts to source food locally has not gone unnoticed. We hope to see you back again soon

Kind regards

Michael

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rathmullan
Castle Grove Country House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Portnablagh
Downings Bay Hotel
Downings Bay Hotel
#3 of 3 in Downings

Been to Rathmullan House? Share your experiences!