“Great quiz night”

Beachcomber Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 8 Restaurants in Rathmullan
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, Pub, European, British
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Kids, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Great quiz night”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We were travelling in our campervan around Ireland and stumbled apon the lovely seaside village of Rathmullan. After getting organised we called into The Beachcomber for a quick bite. The staff were friendly and helpful and they served food until 9pm which was great. After our delicious meal we noticed a crowd gathering and the staff informed us there was a charity quiz about to start so we decided to stay on for a while. We were never as glad we did so because we had the most entertaining fun night of our trip. The questions did not wholely suit our American general knowledge but the quizmaster should have his own television show. We laughed from the first to last round and it became obvious why the large crowd had gathered. Bravo to Cor Mick and I would advise anyone to attend. We even won a prize in the draw!

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank EvieMendez

N Ireland
“Great view, shame about the food & staff”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Having previously stopped by here for a drink on a busy summer's day, we made a repeat visit & decided to order food. The view is beautiful & you can eat outdoors also. During summer, they can be very busy, especially at weekends or during the regatta.

I opted for simple cod & chips, my mother ordered chicken & chips. It was a really long wait for the food. While the chips were ok, the fish was inedible. The batter coating was over done in most parts & difficult to eat because it was so hard, but once I got beyond the very corner of the batter, I realised the fish wasn't even cooked properly. It was hard & totally cold (probably had been frozen). I couldn't get the attention of any of the waiting staff for the duration of the meal & had to content myself with a small side order of chips. By the end of the meal, we still couldn't get any of the waiting staff & had to go to the cashier till. When I explained the fish was uncooked & inedible, the girl gave me a surly look & tried to charge me the full amount for both meals! There wasn't even an apology offered. She didn't seem to understand that it was unacceptable to charge a customer full price for a meal that was raw and inedible, never mind the inconvenience of sitting all that time & not being able to have my meal changed. I had to ask her to call a supervisor. Reluctantly, she did so, because she realised I wasn't going to pay for something that couldn't be eaten. Her supervisor was also surly & said "What was wrong with it?" and acted like she didn't believe me. I asked her to check the plate herself. Before she did so, she argued that the fish would have been cooked at the correct temperature in the fryer. The customer service was woeful! Again, I told her the fish was raw. Perhaps she cooked it herself & was offended, but it took some polite arguing and they reluctantly discounted the cost of only the fish, but made no apology or any other offer, while I had to go somewhere else to buy food because I was still hungry. Will maybe call for a drink in future, but will never eat there again. The prices were also higher than you'd normally pay anywhere else.

• Visited July 2012
4 Thank BachataGirl
Dublin, Ireland
“They put up with us!”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We were celebrating the end of a long project and had a great night of singing and banter with the staff and locals, the even let us choose our own concoctions and mixed strange and wonderful cocktails just for us! We returned a year later during the day devastated that the pub across the road had closed and the barman who remembered us made us a cup of tea free of charge to console us! We have never eaten here so I can't comment on anything but the friendly service and great craic.

• Visited July 2012
Donegal
“Fantastic food whilst enjoying a fabulous view”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

If ever in Rathmullan be sure to check out this little gem of a bar/restaurant. We have eaten there quite a few times now and each time we were not disappointed. It has a limited menu but the food is really beautiful and the portions are very generous. The staff are lovely and welcoming and the view looking over the bay is fabulous.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Chick74
Auckland
“GREAT WEE SPOT”
Reviewed 21 November 2012

I came across this lil gem when I was doing a bit of driving around Donegal. Rathmullan is a gorgeous wee village and the Beachcomber a friendly wee pub. Great spot overlooking the bay on a nice sunny day.. I was on my own and some super friendly local Irishmen made me feel very welcome ;-)
Food was OK - pub food - but good, did the trick.
Go check this place out and enjoy a pint or 2.

• Visited September 2012