“Shocking poor food” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Oranmore
Galway
“Shocking poor food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

I ate with my parents in the restaurant of this hotel for lunch last week and I have to say it was the worst food experience we've had for some time. The seafood chowder tasted and looked like it was a sauce from a packet or tin with some seafood inserted on the top for effect. The burger dish comprised two thin supermarket frozen burgers with luke warm wedges. We were really disappointed by the quality of the food and will not be returning. We have eaten there previously and thought the food was of a high standard - not on this occasion however.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Nick O, Owner at The Coach House Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Thanks for Your Feedbabck,
We strongly feel that your comments are not fair, and not True also:
In Fact our Seafood Chowder is cooked to order every time using only Killary Rope Mussels and Connemara Natural smoked haddock (local and fresh seafood) with homemade prawns bisque, cream and chunky vegetables
In Regards of our Double Beef Burger is homemade in House from Chuck and Flank Steak of Brady's Superior Beef from Athenry Farm in County Galway.
To speed the service with make it flat, so we can always cook it fresh to order and not from the Bainmarie like in many other pubs.
We hope that you will give another chance to us and try our food again, we also make Beautiful Italian Style Homemade Pizzas and Focaccia for under 7€ at lunch and many pasta dishes.

Regards
The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Finnish first
USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

Well, where do I start. The pros: the staff was very nice; the food in the bistro was excellent. The off-street parking is great as it was very busy and we would've other wise had to park far away. Also, our room had heated floors -- which was pretty awesome.

That ends my praise.

The bed was not comfortable; the room was not clean. There were scraps, cracks, marks, etc all over the floors, walls, and doors. It looked very worn... The bedding/sheets were not soft; the most uncomfortable of our entire trip.

All of this I can live with - but the noise I could not! It was terrible! there were random, unexplained noises all night - I could not identify where it was coming from. We were in the back of the hotel, the farthest from the street possible, on the 1st floor (that's the 2nd floor to us in the States). It was the loudest night of our entire stay in Ireland. The noises varied, coming from various sources, but I couldn't identify where any of them came from. We just lived with it - we're not complainers - so we did not alert/bother the staff with it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

We booked this hotel on the strength of its reviews. The hotel is ideally located and has its own parking. The hotel staff are wonderful and nothing is too much for them. The restaurant is fabulous as is the breakfast. We stayed in room 113 and although spacious it need a damn good clean, there was an awful lot of dust under the bed which was very obvious as the bed was on legs. The bathroom again was spacious but the water wouldn't drain away from the shower so you had to stand in dirty water and which after two days left the bath in a disgusting state... Not helped by the fact that the room/ bathroom wasn't cleaned during our stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Taffy76
limerick
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

What is it that i want from a hotel? Somewhere to put my head down and breakfast in the morning oh also no stress. It was my first time staying here and i would probably think twice about it again. Dont get me wrong it was not all bad. I got a call as i was arriving late to inform me that my key would be at the bar as there is no one on the desk. That is fair enough and nice to be told, but any time i passed the desk there was no one there, even when i went to pay on leaving.
Parking is thru an arch way and there is not a lot of spaces and as i was arriving late on a busy night . I was to be unlucky not to avail of one. I must have driven back and forth 5 times around the area until i found a spot close enough.
I collected my key at the bar and went to my room. Small but grand for me on my own. Room lovely and clean.
following morning i went down to breakfast and into the bar for it. I was standing there not knowing what to do. Finally a waitress came over and told me anywhere was ok. so i sat at a table and waited. There was no buffet service, and no menu to look at as i still waited. finally she came down and realised i had no menu and gave me one. I now had been waiting ten min. This is too long when you are on your own and twiggling your fingers. If you are into the big irish breakfast you are grand. If you want healthy options not so good.
I would have loved another coffee but i did not see the server again. I could see her working away behind the bar but was been distracted by the front desk staff who was chatting away to her as she had a bite to eat.
As i ws leaving i waited at the front desk. pressed the bell and still waited. I had to go into the bar to get the eye of the staff.
so really for me the room was ok. Service dire. Breakfast so so.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank clevercat123
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

Stayed here numerous times for business and I must say it's a real gem.THe food is always great and good value - especially on the themed nights.
Great hotel,great food,great prices...what more does one need!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

Would not recommend. I booked a lovely valentines package for me and my partner was looking forward to a nice night away but i got the opposite to say the least.
So noisy was kept up at 3am by noise underneath room from the bar and from main road and drunk couples in the corridoor. No one at reception numerous times i went down.
WIFI does not work basic rooms only upside was the lovely italian restaurant.
But if u want to get some sleep i would not advise this hotel.
Was waiting next morning for breakfast in bar for over 35 mins. Was so dissapointed in the service.

• Stayed February 2013
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

My wife and I had the pleasure of a weekend stay at the above hotel (on jan 18th to 20th) and i cannot recommend it highly enough. The staff at reception & throughout the house were exceptional Nothing was too much trouble and carried out with with a smile Food was excellent and I can highly recommemd the Bascilico Italian restaurant which is part of the hotel. The bed rooms are neat and clean with comfortable beds

Room Tip: any room will do