“great food fantastic service ”

Maldron Hotel Galway
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Oranmore
Galway
“great food fantastic service ”
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

I attended a confirmation meal on the 24th of march and just had to let people know that they should look no further than the maldron for a memorable day.We arrived to a warm welcome from each and every member of staff. The foyer was so comfortable that we decided to wait there until all the guests had arrived.The restaurant was equally as comfortable and clean.The food was piping hot and well seasoned.The service was excellent .I will be back again and so will all the party .Congratulations to all the well mannered friendly staff .

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dermot31, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Galway, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Grancool,
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review following your recent meal at the Hotel. I am please to learn you enjoyed the service and the meal and everything went well on the day. Thank you for your support and we do hope to see you back again soon.
Dermot Comerford,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Polish first
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I recently had my 12 year old daughters birthday party here and it was a resounding success! The children had access to the playroom as they arrived and when they were all there we were seated in a separate room from the dining room which was all set up for us. There was a plentiful supply of pizza, chips and onion rings which more than satisfied very fussy 12 year old girls. We had jugs of water and miwadi also and all the kids were delighted with the food. After eating it was a very short walk across the road to the movie, at €12.95 a head I thought it was great value, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of having a kids party. They do pool partys also which we might try next time!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Aisling F,
Thank you for your kind comments following your daughter's recent Birthday Party with us at the Maldron Hotel. We really appreciate your kind comments and as we are a local business we value your support.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 30 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here for st patricks weekend for 3 nights and we could honestly not stay in the hotel bar on any of the nights and it was so bad they had no glasses staff had no manner very long delay to get a drink and not any way pleasant at all.
Check in was fine a friendly girl on reception got a bedroom that was quiet good and comfortable.
We usually stay in some of the hotels in salthill and will definately be heading back there as this was dissapointing and there is no other bars or restaurants close by . It is what it is a 3 star cheaper than others and not very good.

Room Tip: rooms on first floor have a lot of outside noise
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dermot31, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Galway, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Happyhols511,
Thank you for completing a review following your stay with us over St Patrick’s weekend. I am disappointed to learn of your experience with service in the Bar, I do apologise for this. We will certainly take your feedback on board and have the issues addressed through further Training and review of resources. Normally the feedback we receive is very positive, we will renew our efforts to ensure all Guests are pleased with the service offered.
We do hope you will visit us again in the future.
ireland
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I stayed for a weekend while working in Galway City.

The room was clean, comfortable, and large. The bed was excellent and I got two very good nights' sleep. (With the exception of a short break thanks to an idiot boy racer zooming around the main road at 3am Sunday - not the hotel's fault.)

The hotel in general was clean and comfortable. It was well managed on the whole. However, I was quite surprised to find no staff at reception several times. Once was late Saturday evening when several children (Some VERY young) were using the lobby as a playground. An accident waiting to happen,

If I have one gripe it is the food. I ordered a steak burger thinking it would be a filling option after a long drive. The burger arrived with the chips.

The description on the menu ran:
6oz steak burger
Served in a toasted flour bap, bacon and cheese, Topped with saute onions, tomato slices and lettuce. (served with chips)

The reality was:
Chips were of the frozen variety and not cooked through.
The burger was DREADFUL. Without a doubt the worst I have had in twenty years (or perhaps ever).

It was a thin greasy frozen beef burger and utterly tasteless. If it was 6oz it was pre-defrost weight. The bap must have just bumped into the toaster as it was leaving the kitchen. The rest was edible, just.

Given the price tag of €12+ I would have expected the 'chef' to know the difference between a steak burger described in the menu and the frozen beef burger that was served.

I would normally hand a meal like this back and eat elsewhere. However, the hotel is not within walking distance of another eatery and I had an early start after a long drive.... so I gritted my teeth and ate.

At best I would have to say the description was written to impress. At worst it is a totally misleading advert and should either be rewritten to reflect the truth; or better still, the steak burger put on the plate as well as the menu.

One note here: I realised afterwards that none of the beef served appears to be Irish and I could find no statement of origin on the menu. Given the horse meat controversy (And no, I don't mind horse meat) I would have thought the hotel would at least let people know where their meat is from.

Just to make certain I asked a waitress what sort of steak the burger was made from. She went away and returned with the answer :'beef burger'. I pointed out the menu and asked if she could check why it said what it did. I heard no more.

Needless to say I ate elsewhere for the remainder of my stay. Inconvenient but a lot cheaper and better quality food.

I eat at a similar hotel near Dublin and a 'REAL' burger meal (Irish beef) costs just €9.50. How can a hotel such as the Maldron justify charging this much for frozen gunk?

It really is a pity as the cost for two nights was competetive but the food would put me off using this hotel for future business trips to Galway.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Seanaway,
Thank you for posting a review following your recent stay with us. I am disappointed to learn about the issues you had with your meal in the Bar during your stay. We will certainly do a full review of the dish from supplier, to preparation, to service. Our aim is always to meet and exceed guest expectations and I do apologise that we fell short of these goals on this occasion.
I can reassure you that all beef and beef products used in the kitchen are 100% Irish and fully traceable. There is a list of our suppliers on the back of our Bar Menu and the certificate of origin is displayed in the Restaurant and Bar, we will look at the location to ensure it is visible to all diners.
We do hope you will stay with us on your next trip to Galway and assure you of our prompt attention at all times.
Dermot Comerfrod
Cork
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Have eaten in the bar here a few times. Have to say both the food and the service were fantastic. Good choice and value. Very pleasant and accommodating staff. A good pit stop if you travelling further on

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Kerry, Ireland
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here recently with our 3 year old son, the room was spacious and modern good 3 star standarď, however the sheet on my son's bed had old stains on it. The hotel serves no food whatsoever after 9pm, the real highlight for all of us was the pool which we spent a lot of time at, the receptionist who checked us in was brilliant really friendly and helpful however the one in the evening knew less about the buses than I did. Be careful ifyou go into Galway as the last bus back leaves at 8.30pm.,

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nigel O
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed 13 March 2014

My wife and I picked this for a relaxing stay and enjoy their leisure club. I'm not sure if we just picked the wrong days or if it's a regular thing, but it seems that they do swimming lessons for the elderly. They also had karaoke going on. The room itself was nice and it was a decent location.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dermot31, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Galway, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Randall O,

Thank you very much for completing a review following your recent stay with us during your Trip to Ireland. I do hope you enjoyed the Break and that it lived up to your expectation. I am please to learn you found the Hotel to be comfortable and in a convenient location. We are fortunate to have a large Leisure Club in the Hotel where we run a wide range of classes both for Hotel Guest and Members of the club, included in this line up is Aqua Aerobics. This was probably the group you encountered in the pool.
We do hope you returned home safely and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.
Dermot Comerford
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranmore
Flannery's Hotel Galway
Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway
Nox Hotel
Nox Hotel
#7 of 45 in Galway

Been to Maldron Hotel Galway? Share your experiences!