“Beautiful hotel, pity about the lack of service and thoughtlessness for guests.”

Oranmore Lodge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Oranmore
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I recently stayed in this beautiful hotel I had actually never heard of it until I saw a voucher for it on a website. I purchased one as a gift for Christmas. I was aware of the blackout dates and took some time off work to stay mid-week. I rang to make a reservation the week before and after looking at Oranmore lodge hotels website was hoping to upgrade to one of the executive suites.
The lady who took my call was very nice until I mentioned I had a voucher but I wanted to upgrade. I don't think she heard beyond the word voucher. Her whole tone of voice changed, as she informed me she had no rooms available. I asked was this because I had a voucher and still in a very dismissive and rude tone she explained they only had a certain amount of rooms for voucher holders. I asked again would I be able to upgrade and if so how much it would cost to which she told me she had no executive suites available on the dates I required. As these were the only dates I could go I asked how much extra would I need to pay to upgrade to a non voucher room. She asked me to hold but assured me that I probably couldn't be accommodated. A second lady came to the phone then and she was absolutely lovely, told me she had an executive suite available and how much extra it would cost and took my reservation immediately.

When I arrived I very impressed with the beauty of the hotel, my excitement dissipated somewhat as I waited nearly 15 minutes for the receptionist to acknowledge me. A little nod or smile as she talked on the phone would have been much more preferable to the surly glare she briefly gave as I stood waiting.

I was finally given the keys to a suite which was lovely. Although the snack packs and bath robes the website promised never materialised. On the first night at 11.30pm I was treated to the noise of furniture being dragged through the suite next door, by staff. This wasn't nearly as unsettling as the clashing Delph that woke me at 7.30am or the loud voice of some man at 9.30am who sounded like he was in my room not the suite next door, excitedly talking about his plans for his company's future and treating me to a long lecture on statistics.

On the other hand breakfast was lovely, the food delicious and the girl who served us delightful.
Our second night was a lot more relaxed thank goodness
I did leave a filled in comment card and sent an email to the hotel but surprise surprise it's all been ignored.

I ended up paying full price for my room as I upgraded but even with the voucher this hotel is not worth the price they charge, and certainly not the level of customer care you would expect from a four star hotel especially one that seems to pride itself on being a family run hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Laura M
ShirleyKilduff, Front Office Manager at Oranmore Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Laura M,

I am sure you have received my email with regards to your feedback.

As explained the receptionist that initially answered your call was on her first day and was unaware of the way the vouchers worked, however she did hand the call to the senior receptionist who took your booking immediately without hesitation.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel to show you that the issues you came across are not the norm and we most certainly would like to put it right.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Had a lovely stay over the Paddy's day long weekend, found the hotel to be clean and very, very friendly! Always a nice smile from the front desk, and very helpful for local tips etc.. Has to be said we barely heard a single noise from any of the other rooms while in our own, and the hotel was pretty busy from what we saw, so your guaranteed a quiet night's sleep! Beds, very comfy, room was spacious, and the leisure centre was really great with hot tubs, steam rooms and a cool pool- felt fantastic after our late night outs! Breakfast and bar staff very friendly too... all in all, thanks for the relaxed weekend!

Room Tip: We were 2nd floor, no issues, facing over the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Yann C,

Many thanks for your recent review.

We were thrilled to read your review and are so happy that we met your expectations.

Once again a great big thank you and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to stay with us in the near future.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

stayed here with a group of 20, march 7/8 2night dbd and dinner. excellent rates and was very easy to organise thanks to sherley at reception. we had our own private section of the hotel so all rooms were beside eachother. dinner was of hightest quality large portions and prompt. rooms were 2double beds in each very spacious. never got time to try the leasure centre. bar was big and all the staff were so nice especially one male waiter whos had a great since of humour and made our night on Friday ( donnacha) I think his name was. on the second day we wanted to swap our dinner for lunch and this was arrange with no complaints and to top it off the brought out a glass of bubbally to everyone free of charge. on check out day I had asked cound we get a little longer lie in and this was also complementary for every room relay couldn't rave enough about this place thanks to all the staff who helped make this such a pleasant for all 20 of us

Room Tip: only 10mins by bus to galway city bus only charged €4.00pp the village is walking distance or 2min b...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Olivia H,

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your weekend with us.

You were a great bunch of girls from what I hear so thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to post a superb review online for us - we really appreciate it - it was a pleasure dealing with you arranging the booking!

Once again , thank you and I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back at some stage - next time you are visiting Galway, give me a call personally and I will upgrade your room to one of the executive suites.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

On the plus side, lovely and warm room and bed was truly comfortable. Breakfast was fairly terrible and hard to understand how the whole serving of breakfast could be so chaotic with 5 staff flitting around. Basic 3 star hotel. Wouldn't be rushing back....but top marks for heat.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MissMeIreland
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Just back from a girls weekend away with 6 others. Rooms were well equipped with fridge and microwave. We had the inter-connecting family room and a twin just across the corridor. We had so much room, it was fantastic. Staff were quick to respond to any requests and very friendly. The hotel could do with a little more bar staff, they seemed to be run off their feet and this has been a criticism of a few reviewers and I would agree. Breakfast was lovely and plentiful and the food in the restaurant was not exceptional but it was plentiful. I didn't use the leisure facilities so I can't comment. I would definitely return, we had a super weekend.

Room Tip: Family room is big and spacious and has fridge and microwave. And also very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

We went here for our 5th wedding anniversary , at first I thought hmmm is this it but the staff were friendly , the food lovely and we had a suite with huge tv big bed and even rose petals on it : ) , it was an amazing two nights and it looks dated but in my opinion was beautiful its a mix of old , class and modern .

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
ShirleyKilduff, Front Office Manager at Oranmore Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear Laurakiv,

Thank you for your review and of course choosing to stay with us to celebrate your wedding anniversary.

We have a super team of staff which go above and beyond for all our guests and it is lovely to hear back that our guests find them very friendly.

We are and 1840 manor house hotel and appreciate your lovely comment of it being beautiful with a mix of old, class and modern as it is exactly what we aim to achieve.

Once again, thank you so much for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Starting with a keen price, we opted for the executive suite with breakfast. The room was very homely; a bit cold to start, but it soon warmed up with very good heating and an electric fire. View out the back, nothing to recommend. Reception friendly enough. Breakfast perfectly fine, but room for improvement in their coffee. Internet an asset as is the location and the leisure suite (not used on this occasion). Would happily stay here again, and ask for the same room, which we really liked

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear BT Traveler,

Many thanks for choosing to stay with us and for posting your review.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate the feedback.

Next time you visit we will ensure you get a front executive room so give me a call to arrange this.

Once again, many thanks.

Sales Reservations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranmore
Maldron Hotel Galway
#7 of 46 in Galway
Clybaun Hotel
Clybaun Hotel
#6 of 46 in Galway

Been to Oranmore Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!