“Great Hotel… Very homely and friendly!”

Oranmore Lodge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Oranmore
Reviewed 31 August 2010

I have just returned from a lovely weekend in Galway…. Is Galway always this busy??? It seems to be the place to go !

We stayed in the Oranmore Lodge Hotel which is about ten minutes drive from the city centre. We parked our car for the weekend and availed of the local bus service in and out of the city… only €3… very good value! We found this little gem of a hotel on the internet and booked in for a deal of 2 nights B&B and 1 dinner – it was great value! We checked in on Friday and was met by a lovely receptionist – Nicole … she welcomed us and showed us where our room was and offered us an upgrade to a suite for only €20… so of course we availed of it!! When we were showed to our room she explained to us what we could do in the area etc and informed us of the bus route for the city centre which we were unaware of… but found her a great help.

The room was fabulous… leather sofa, huge TV and aircon.. .which we didn’t use of course!!! We even got bath robes – what a treat when your away!

We dined in the hotel on Friday night and had a wonderful meal in the restaurant.. the restaurant is small and intimate but really lovely… its so in keeping with an old hotel.. beautiful big fireplace in it. Our food was delicious – I had the pork belly which is the best I’ve had yet and my partner availed of a steak which was cooked beautifully - however we got so much food we were hardly able to move after it….

Breakfast next morning was busy – but again very good and plenty of choice. The girls serving us for dinner were working the next morning and I have to say they are great.. they nearly know everybody by name and they really make you feel at home!

We checked out on Sunday - the hotel was crazy busy Sunday morning and we ended up chatting with the wedding guests from the night before and they were full of praise for the hotel also.. apparently it had been a very late night .. but luckily we never heard a sound!

So in my opinion – this is a great hotel – well worth a visit to and I will definitely return again. I hope this review helps some of you travelers out there .

Thanks again to all the staff… you all made our weekend!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
BrianOhiggins, Front Office Manager at Oranmore Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2010

Dear Stacey,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Not many people make this effort but I can assure you it is really appreciated.

Its great to hear feedback and I will ensure the staff get to read your review so they are aware of the great professional job they do!

Once again.. Thank you for your comments.

Shirley Kilduff
Sales Reservations Manager

Reviewed 25 August 2010

Comfortable but dated. Small but adequate pool and fitness club. OK for a stay in Galway area if price is right but better modern alternatives.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2010

My husband and I booked a last minute break to Galway to this hotel. We just booked a bed and breakfast rate as we knew we would be eating in the city centre. I could not believe the room it was so tiny and the stale smell once you entered the room was just awful, The bed was also tiny and pushed up against a wall!!!! I looked into the bathroom and the taps were just filthy. I went down to the desk and asked to be moved but was told that we could pay €50 extra to be moved. I did not take this up as it was a last minute break and did not want to pay extra. We decided just to spend as much time as possible in thecity. We asked for a Iron and that was just filthy and we had to clean it ourselves before we used it. The towels that are provided are grey not white and just so small you could not call them bath towels. I found out to my horror later that the girl I spoke to at the desk was actually the Reservation Manager and she selects the rooms you are allocated. The room that was given to us was usually used as a single room. We thought that we would have used the swimming pool while we were there but again we were dissapointed as it was so small and could do with a good clean, Over all the hotel needs to be renovated. I would never advise anyone to stay in this old hotel that is stuck in a time warp.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DonegalTraveller
BrianOhiggins, Owner at Oranmore Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2010

Dear alias Donegal Traveller,

I refer to your comments in relation to your stay at this hotel. You booked a last minute weekend deal at a rate of €37.50 B/B per person sharing, per night. You were allocated a standard bedroom measuring 18 sq. meters that was built 12 years ago ! The reservations manager offered to upgrade you to a superior room measuring 24 sq. meters for an extra €12.50 per person per night. You were adamant that you were not going to pay this rate and demanded a free upgrade. When this was not forthcoming, you have now set about to criticse the hotel in a defamatory manner. We are amazed as to how you could comment on the swimming pool when you state that you did not use the leisure centre ??
For your information the swimming pool is 17m and is maintained to the highest hygienic standards.

Brian J. O'Higgins,
Managing Director

Reviewed 13 August 2010

well this is my 2nd time to stay in this hotel... myself and 3 friends decided to holiday at home this year and do the galway races..... we didnt stay in the city as it was a bit too pricey!! however we stayed in Oranmore... what a lively place to stay. we checked in on the wednesday and stayed until saturday before moving on to our next hotel... which I will also review! We had a lovely room.. plenty of space for us .. 1 double and 2 single beds... we had dinner on one night which was included in our package..... food was amazing.. again.. but way too much of it. If you are looking for a family run hotel.... this has to be the best.. you can tell simply by the friendlieness of all the staff... even the breakfast staff... Im Celiac myself but brought my own bread as I didnt want to be a nuisance... once they noted this they had everything ready for me each morning and made sure they had special bread bought in for me.. by the time we checked out we knew every member of staff and we are already organising our next girlie trip away for October... So thanks again to all the staff and the owners... they all know how to do their job! Well done!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank larkinclan

Thank you for your great review of our hotel.

We are delighted you enjoyed both the hotel and the Galway Races and its great to see repeat guests coming back to us....

I hope everything was even better than the last time you stayed and we look forward having the opportunity of welcoming you back to us again.

Shirley Kilduff
Sales Reservations Manager

Reviewed 30 July 2010

The reviews I read of the Oranmore Lodge Hotel were very good so I was quite disappointed when we got there. The location is right next to the highway so not very "Lodge" like. The hallways smelled intensely like baby powder and the rooms were very dated looking. The breakfast was just edible.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank runnermom_10
Reviewed 27 July 2010

We arrived at the hotel at about 2pm in the afternoon. Checked in and sent down to room 6GL. Firstly you went down 8 steps of stairs ending up on the lower ground floor. The hallway was really narrow with doors on both sides. Got into our room to find the most drab bedroom . 2 double beds, dark curtains, no wardrobe only a rail. A closet with a small fridge and tea making facilities. A table with a small mirror over it. That was our 4 **** bedroom. The bathroom was clean but nothing fancy. Called reception and asked for a better room. Told €20.00 extra to move upstairs but room would be the same. Also asked did I want to move out. We put up with this as it was only for 2 nights but extremely dissapointed. Next went to see the Leisure centre that was equally as dissapointing. The pool is only 16metres and not very clean. Could do with a face lift. The exercise room was tiny. Machines on top of one another. Went for breakfast next morning and restaurant was tiny for the amount of people for breakfast. Food nothing to write home about. Very basic. Waiting about 15mts to geta table for 3.
As for the bar that is the pits. It is so gaunt and drab. The curtains are dating back 30 years. Old tables and chairs nothing exciting about this at all.
All I can say is it was a very dissapointing few days in a 4 star hotel. Don't know how it could be a 4 star.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank deborah0103
Reviewed 30 May 2010

We booked 2 nights B&B with 2 dinners and got a good deal. Hotel had some charm but was somewhat tired and dated. Staff overall were friendly and the food in the restaurant was tasty and provided good size portions. They were child friendly and a lot of families were small children were also staying for the weekend, also had good size bedrooms which were comfortable. On the downside there were a lot so surcharges and for internet access/ Wi-Fi they charged €7 an hour while most other hotels provide it free. I was also looking forward to watching the Magners league final but discovered to late they do not have Satanta Sports which I took for given in a hotel. Also leisure centre did not open until 9am at weekends. My sister had a problem with a smell in her room and they did little to try and sort it. Small things would have made a big difference

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranmore
Maldron Hotel Galway
6 mi away
Westwood House Hotel
Westwood House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Dangan

Been to Oranmore Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!