“What arrived was different to what was described on the menu”
Review of The Boathouse - CLOSED

The Boathouse
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Unforgivable for any restaurant to serve a dish which is not described correctly on the menu. I had seabass and the menu did not mention it was wrapped in cooked ham, which there is no way I would ever order it. The sides were good.
Mussels starter was good.
Other than that, it was fine, didn't excel but all ok and it is too expensive.
WIne list is too short.

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

The food is very nice but the service wasn't up to standard. We waited far too long and the dishes didn't all arrive together. Too pricy for a mediocre dining experience. They did apologize and we got something off the bill. But not going back.

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Visited The Boathouse with my girlfriend on the 30th of May 2014 and couldn't recommend it highly enough. The lunch menu was very reasonably priced considering the quality of the dishes on offer. There were several tables occupied during our visit, and despite there being only one waiter on duty, he was the height of professionalism and left nobody waiting, no table unwiped and didn't have to compromise the service he provided in any way. I ordered a starter while my girlfriend opted only for a main course, and when my starter arrived the waiter gave her a small bowl of soup as he took pity on her! The mains were both delicious, very authentic and of great quality. A true gem of a restaurant in beautiful Oranmore.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

One of the nicest restaurants with beautiful menu and food I have visited in a while. Would recommend to anyone. I will definitely be back.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Food in Ireland has improved significantly in the last decade or so to the point where it's rare that you get a bad meal. However there are still only a few restaurants operating at level where you can recognize true skill and craftsmanship elevating everyday dishes to something worth taking the time to remark on in an online review. It's even more remarkable that a small village like Oranmore can boast somewhere of the quality of the Boathouse. I've eaten here several times for lunch and a couple of times for dinner in the last 6 months and have never been disappointed. The service is excellent - not that I care about that sort if thing. If your food is good enough you can treat me like something you scraped off your shoe and I won't complain but the staff are incredibly friendly and attentive in an unobtrusive way. The lunch menu is compact but that merely allows them to get it all right and there isn't a bad dish on it. I think the restaurant's qualities are best exemplified by their fish and chips for lunch. It's a very simple dish and I've had it thousand times but they do very simple subtle things to elevate it to something that leaves an impression. The chips are home made of course as is the ketchup and the tartare sauce and infinitely tastier than something from a wholesale gallon jar. The fish itself is delicious and fresh and crisp and you taste the fish not the oil. They serve it up in a unique presentation with a fry basket and wooden platter that sets it apart from those who don't care quite this much about their product.
Dinner is also equally as good and the atmosphere improves significantly. I hate to rave but ever since they finally put the burger on the lunch menu (another brilliant break from the mundane) I've had little to complain about. Ok the music is awful but bring your iPod.