“what a perfect undiscovered gem!!”

Hylands Burren Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ballyvaughan
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I happened into this hotel while exploring the Burren. The weather had turned wet as it often does in Ireland, and I walked inside to escape it and grab a bite to eat. a cosy sitting area with a real peat/turf fire in the fireplace lured me in, and then there were delicious smells wafting from the kitchen. I looked at the dining room then longingly back at the comfy sofa by the fire, and Jennifer who was at the desk graciously suggested that I could have my dinner there if I liked. Just what I wanted, but hadn't thought I could! After having what truly was the best stew and mashed potatoes I have ever eaten, I decided to spend the night instead of pressing on to Galway. The room was huge, warm quiet and spotlessly clean. There was an atrium outside my room and a nice airy feeling about the place, and yet everything about the hotel was comfy and traditional looking. I stopped into the pub which as it happened was the only one in town playing traditional music that night, and was delighted to see some of the locals dancing or joining in for a tune or two. It just was overall a warm friendly relaxed place but much more posh then I would have expected to find in a small town. The bed was exceptionally comfortable. The breakfast in the morning was wonderful with a full Irish breakfast and fruit, yogurt, pastries, juices and cereals while you were waiting for it. I was not hungry again until supper time! I have to mention that I was very impressed by how incredibly busy, cheerful, accommodating, and competent Jennifer was, it seemed like she had endless energy and never made me feel like my requests were any trouble at all. I will definitely stay there again and would recommend it to family and friends!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank bold_adventuress

Reviewed 29 April 2012

We enjoyed excellent hospitality in the Hylands Hotel. The staff we most helpful and friendly providing a homely atmosphere , hearty breakfasts and delicious evening meals. We would highly recommend this hotel as the perfect base to explore this beautiful area around Ballyvaughan. It was lovely to return to the welcoming turf fire and relax after our walks. Bedrooms were clean and spacious. We hope to return again in the future. Thank you for a welcoming visit. The Northerners.

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I stayed in the West for 6 nights and ate out in many different restaurants all around the Burren and Galway. I had Seafood chowder every evening. I had Seafood chowder in Hylands last Saturday, just before departing the West; I have to say, it was the very best; loads of fresh fish and plenty of brown bread. I asked to speak to the chef when leaving, very nice man, and he told me his chowder has won 2 gold awards. Well done.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank 180mullingar
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Stayed for three nights. The manager Jennifer was amazing, friendly and always went one step further! Even when we meet Jennifer in the pub and she wasn't working she asks if we getting on ok. The hotel is warm, relaxed and nice holiday pace. Breakfast is what and when you want. Really felt like we were home with friends. Again the staff were so warm especially Jennifer the manager. We'll be back soon )))))

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Room was clean and spacious.
It's slap bang in the centre of town with loads of parking out the back.

Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We had dinner booked at a restaurant 2 km down the road and they gave us a lift down, which was above and beyond the call of duty.

As an added bonus, we got back fully intending to go straight to bed when we heard music from the bar and were treated to three musicians playing "real" trad.

P.S. Hotel is extremely welcoming for walkers in groups so it would be a good spot to base in for Burren walking.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank C B
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I just want to say what a wonderful weekend I have just spent at Hylands Hotel, in Ballyvaughan,Co Clare.
The rooms were spotless, and really warm and really comfortable. The staff, from the reception,to bar and restaurant were all equally amazing, and could not do enough for everyone. Nothing was too much trouble for any of them. We had a 3 night stay which included an evening meal. I have no hesitation in saying that the evening meal was one of the highlights of the weekend. The food was marvellous, fresh, tasty and cooked to perfection. Hats off to the chef. Would I recommend it, would I what !!. I WILL BE BACK. in fact I have already booked – WELL DONE HYLANDS

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank marymiom
Reviewed 12 October 2011

We were there one night and were very pleased with the stay. The room was very homey, the breakfast was good, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The location was excellent and quiet. I love staying in small towns, and this is one of the best.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tracey U
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballyvaughan
Gregans Castle Hotel
#2 of 7 in Lisdoonvarna
Hotel Doolin
Hotel Doolin
#2 of 4 in Doolin

Been to Hylands Burren Hotel? Share your experiences!