The best part about this place is by far the beauty that surrounds the hotel. The gardens are well kept, will short little paths that weave in and out of the trees. I agree with other reviews that the smell in the house/hotel is pretty strong. It's a very damp/musty smell and it just felt like the entire place just needed to be aired out really well. Our room was beautiful, clean and had everything we needed. When we arrived, it was one of the hottest days Ireland has had and no one bothered to open the windows before we arrived or even think of putting a fan in there to cool it off. We even left the windows open the next day to make sure there was some fresh air when we came back and ALL the windows were shut! It was hot and stuffy and the smells made it worse, so as to why they thought closing the windows would be the best thing for their guests is beyond me.
The breakfasts were excellent!! By far, the best eggs Benedict I've ever had! Dinner was good, but definitely on the pricey side. Was nice to be able to grab a drink at the bar and stroll around the property in the evenings.
Overall, the stay was completely enjoyable, besides the smell and the warm rooms. Just keep in mind if you come in the summer and it's warm, most places do not have A/C nor ceiling fans to keep you cool.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With breathtaking views across Galway Bay and idyllically situated overlooking the unique Burren landscape, this is the ultimate luxury and gourmet hideaway. Simon and Frederieke together with their staff manage this oasis of comfort and offer genuine Irish hospitality, award winning innovative cooking and elegant bedrooms free from the intrusion of televisions. Antiques, an eclectic art collection, open fires, candles, jugs of flowers and Shelley the cat add to the indulgently relaxing atmosphere. The hotel while strictly not a "castle" in the usual sense of the word has been named "Gregans Castle" since it was built in 1750 as a more comfortable residence for the O'Loughlen and Martyn families from the nearby 16th century towerhouse. Located on the Wild Atlantic Way and the Burren Food Trail. The ideal location from which to enjoy the Burren, Cliffs of Moher, Walking, Cycling, the Aran Islands, Horse Riding, Surfing, Sea Angling, Golf. Members of The Burren Ecotourism Network. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Gregans Castle Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gregans Castle Ballyvaughan
- Hotel Gregans Castle
- Gregans Castle Hotel Ballyvaughan, Ireland - The Burren