My wife and I recently stayed in this magical place. We upgraded to the Martyn suite, which has to be the most beautiful room I have ever stayed in. We had our own private garden! Everything was so easy and relaxed – the hotel itself is a study in subtle luxury, and while nobody is chasing around after you, there is always someone on hand when you need it.
The Burren countryside is breathtaking and this is the ideal base from which to explore it. The first night of our stay we ate out – at the Pier Inn in Kinvara. The hotel organised for Tom, a local taxi driver, to take us there and he is full of amusing anecdotes. I would say the food was very average fare, but again, the setting and the village is so lovely! After a couple of pints we called Tom and were back at the hotel in no time.
It was just like getting home, if home is a luxury hotel with a relaxing bar!
After a full day exploring the countryside the next day we settled down for our 8 course tasting menu in the restaurant. I ran out of superlatives after the first two courses! Every morsel was bursting with flavour and the service was fantastic. One of the most enjoyable dining experiences of my life. And the service was superb.
A fabulous breakfast on both mornings set us up for the day. Honestly, I can’t say enough about our stay at Gregan’s castle – it was perfection, truly.
It is very expensive, but for a special occasion, so worth it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With breathtaking views across Galway Bay and idyllically situated overlooking the unique Burren landscape, this is the ultimate luxury and gourmet hideaway. Simon and Frederieke together with their staff manage this oasis of comfort and offer genuine Irish hospitality, award winning innovative cooking and elegant bedrooms free from the intrusion of televisions. Antiques, an eclectic art collection, open fires, candles, jugs of flowers and Shelley the cat add to the indulgently relaxing atmosphere. The hotel while strictly not a "castle" in the usual sense of the word has been named "Gregans Castle" since it was built in 1750 as a more comfortable residence for the O'Loughlen and Martyn families from the nearby 16th century towerhouse. Located on the Wild Atlantic Way and the Burren Food Trail. The ideal location from which to enjoy the Burren, Cliffs of Moher, Walking, Cycling, the Aran Islands, Horse Riding, Surfing, Sea Angling, Golf. Members of The Burren Ecotourism Network. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Gregans Castle Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gregans Castle Ballyvaughan
- Hotel Gregans Castle
- Gregans Castle Hotel Ballyvaughan, Ireland - The Burren