“Understated brilliance!”

Gregans Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ballyvaughan
Reviewed 29 August 2013

My wife and I recently stayed in this magical place. We upgraded to the Martyn suite, which has to be the most beautiful room I have ever stayed in. We had our own private garden! Everything was so easy and relaxed – the hotel itself is a study in subtle luxury, and while nobody is chasing around after you, there is always someone on hand when you need it.
The Burren countryside is breathtaking and this is the ideal base from which to explore it. The first night of our stay we ate out – at the Pier Inn in Kinvara. The hotel organised for Tom, a local taxi driver, to take us there and he is full of amusing anecdotes. I would say the food was very average fare, but again, the setting and the village is so lovely! After a couple of pints we called Tom and were back at the hotel in no time.
It was just like getting home, if home is a luxury hotel with a relaxing bar!

After a full day exploring the countryside the next day we settled down for our 8 course tasting menu in the restaurant. I ran out of superlatives after the first two courses! Every morsel was bursting with flavour and the service was fantastic. One of the most enjoyable dining experiences of my life. And the service was superb.

A fabulous breakfast on both mornings set us up for the day. Honestly, I can’t say enough about our stay at Gregan’s castle – it was perfection, truly.

It is very expensive, but for a special occasion, so worth it.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

We only stayed at Gregans Castle 1 night but it was wonderful. Finding it on our GPS was not good and we arrived by a very off-the-beaten path route. Call ahead and ask directions if you aren’t familiar or are relaying on GPS so you get the scenic route. The staff was exceptionally professional and prepared for the level of expectations the clientele are accustomed to. Our room was beautiful and comfortable. I emailed in advance to be sure they could accommodate our family of 4 (two teenage children and my fiancée and myself). They did so wonderfully with a king bed, a sleeper sofa in the sitting room of the suite, and a roll away bed. My only complaint was a strong mildew smell in the room but in fairness to the hotel, I did not mention it to them. The grounds were amazingly beautiful and there is a very loving grounds kitty to great you if you are lucky enough to encounter him. We had dinner at the 7:30 sitting and exquisite is the only word I can use. It was formal and delightful without being so stuffy that I couldn’t ask for suggestions or request information about the food (which was perfect). Definitely do the cheese course !! Breakfast was also beyond our expectations as well – with all local produce and meats, and wonderful Muesli. Don’t miss the quiet, beautiful bar with some well stocked, top-shelf whiskeys. Quiet luxury.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Margaret B
Reviewed 22 August 2013

From the time you arrive in Gregan's you know you are someplace unique. The gardens are lush amidst the seemingly barren rocks. The light is amazing and life just slows down. Inside the hotel every detail is carefully chosen and complementary of the unique landscape. The colours are calm and inspiring. Our room- Cappanawalla Suite- was a delight. We meant to have a short nap but whether it was the air or the quiet, we both crashed out for the best sleep I have had in a long time. As we were staying Sunday night, dinner was in the bar. The food- we both had fish- was perfectly cooked and delicious. Breakfast the following morning was amazing. Best bacon and sausages I have ever tasted. In a world of non-stop interruption and stimulation, running a top class hotel with no TVs is a brave but inspired move. Your experience of staying here is totally unique and honestly after just one night you will feel like a different person.

3  Thank Darien_CTIrishgirl
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We stayed at Gregan's Castle for my very special birthday a couple of weeks ago and the two reasons we chose the hotel was (1) they say they are dog friendly so we could bring our little cocker and (2) the food. On arrival we were told that the dog was only allowed in the room (the more expensive one which we had to choose as that's the only one which accommodates dogs), and no where else in the hotel. So in fact, they are NOT dog friendly. There was a relaxed bar which could easily have accommodated dogs, but it didn't. This is not what a dog friendly hotel offers and had we known this, we would not have stayed at Gregans. The food was excellent and didn't disappoint but on the actual day of my birthday I had especially asked to see the restaurant so I could choose a nice table but was told categorically that the tables by the window were not available and they did not seem very cooperative at all. I had to plead with the girl to even get a decent table in the main room, and not in the side room they had originally allocated. We booked Gregan's castle back in January but there still seemed to be some sort of 'hierarchy' for the tables with a view, which appeared to be given to the wealthy Americans who I assume leave large tips.

We found the staff to be quite aloof and unfriendly which didn't match with their customer service award adorning the reception wall. They just didn't seem flexible or cooperative in any way regardless of what we asked (which wasn't much!). I have travelled the world and stayed in luxury accommodation of all types and when you are spending top dollar, which Gregan's is, it just didn't measure up.

Another negative is the bed clothes are old fashioned blankets, not duvets. They are warm enough but are so heavy that during the night you end up throwing them off! The pillows are equally old and heavy and not comfortable. I used the iron on one occasion and nearly ruined an expensive dress on account of the iron having that caked on black sticky stuff which glues to your clothes when heated up.

Definitely would not return.

Room Tip: Ask what view your room will have. Ours had one facing a hedge in the back of the hotel so not good!
9  Thank Sandy650
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Everything was perfect during our stay. The place is beautiful, in the middle of the burren with a spectacular view.
The castle is lovely, with large rooms overlooking the garden.
The breakfast is top notch, both for quantity, choice and quality.
It was a pity that the restaurant was closed.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2013

To my surprise, the restaurant at Greggan's castle was fantastic. I pride myself on being a restaurant snob. Prior to this experience I would've said that a dinner at le grenouille or del posto in NY would be on the top of my list. Nevertheless, my eyes are now open to a new wave of cooking that the chef at Greggan's inspires. Very impressed with the service. Even more impressed with the food. Please, if you love food, do yourself a favor and skip the cliffs of Mohr and have a two hour long dinner at Greggan's. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Walker M
Reviewed 1 August 2013

If you stay here bring a book. It is a luxury hotel with nice rooms and views. It is, however, very remote in the middle of the burren. You can hike but there isn't anything else to do. There are no pools or televisions and one station comes in on the radio. We did have a phenomenal breakfast buffet. This is more sutitable for older couples and not for families. We felt out of place here and we have been all over the world. Most of the nearby attractions are in Doolin or Galway. I found this in a travel book and it is more suited to locals or to Europeans looking to relax. It is off the beaten path.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank marienjnj
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballyvaughan
3 mi away
Aran View Country House
Armada Hotel
Armada Hotel
#1 of 4 in Spanish Point

Been to Gregans Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!