Our room was a classic room ( Gleninagh) Unlike the description on the hotel website we did not have either spectacular views or a view of the garden. The view was of trees and the rooftops of the laundry and some other low rise buildings below. The room was clean and plainly furnished with a large comfortable bed( two beds pushed together),a dressing table and a small settee. The bathroom was off the bedroom and contained a very large bath with a shower over the bath and big fluffy towels. There was a curtained off wardrobe and storage area at the entrance to the room.
The bar area and sitting room were very restful with log fires, comfortable armchairs and settees and many interesting books and magazines for guests to read .This is definitely a place to wind down and relax. Breakfast was quite good with the usual choice of cold items from the buffet or hot meals made to order and the dining room has lovely views of the garden from the tables near the windows.Everyone including the hotel cat was very pleasant and friendly and made us feel welcome and we enjoyed our stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With breathtaking views across Galway Bay and idyllically situated overlooking the unique Burren landscape, this is the ultimate luxury and gourmet hideaway. Simon and Frederieke together with their staff manage this oasis of comfort and offer genuine Irish hospitality, award winning innovative cooking and elegant bedrooms free from the intrusion of televisions. Antiques, an eclectic art collection, open fires, candles, jugs of flowers and Shelley the cat add to the indulgently relaxing atmosphere. The hotel while strictly not a "castle" in the usual sense of the word has been named "Gregans Castle" since it was built in 1750 as a more comfortable residence for the O'Loughlen and Martyn families from the nearby 16th century towerhouse. Located on the Wild Atlantic Way and the Burren Food Trail. The ideal location from which to enjoy the Burren, Cliffs of Moher, Walking, Cycling, the Aran Islands, Horse Riding, Surfing, Sea Angling, Golf. Members of The Burren Ecotourism Network. Awards include: Georgina Campbell’s Hotel of the Year 2016, RAI Best Hotel Restaurant 2016, Gold Medal Awards Ireland’s Chef of the Year 2015, Supreme Winner & Best Country House 2014; Food & Wine Magazine Best Restaurant & Best Chef Munster 2014; AA 3 Rosettes for Culinary Excellence. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Gregans Castle Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gregans Castle Ballyvaughan
- Hotel Gregans Castle
- Gregans Castle Hotel Ballyvaughan, Ireland - The Burren