We chose this hotel as a good base for exploring the Burren which is a fascinating area of Ireland near Galway City. We like comfort, good food and wine and a quiet relaxing place to return to after a day roughing it outdoors. Good quality hotels in the UK and Ireland are never cheap and often the price / value equation leaves us disappointed. Gregans is not cheap but having stayed in many country house hotels in Scotland and Ireland on our hill walking weekends I can say that Gregans met our expectations. The housekeeping was excellent -- both in terms of cleanliness and being unobtrusive. The staff are professional and again unobtrusive -- but if you want to chat they are friendly. The food was excellent - as good as some starred Michelins I have eaten at -- the local beef and lamb especially. The wine list had no big names - apart from a half bottle of d'Yquem on the dessert list! - (I was tempted but resisted!) -but a decent selection at not unreasonable prices. This is a great part of the world and Gregans is a good experience. We also hired a guide from heartofburrenwalks -we dont usually do that! but we wanted to get as much from our time in the Burren as we could and would recommend them. It was wothwhile doing that.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With breathtaking views across Galway Bay and idyllically situated overlooking the unique Burren landscape, this is the ultimate luxury and gourmet hideaway. Simon and Frederieke together with their staff manage this oasis of comfort and offer genuine Irish hospitality, award winning innovative cooking and elegant bedrooms free from the intrusion of televisions. Antiques, an eclectic art collection, open fires, candles, jugs of flowers and Shelley the cat add to the indulgently relaxing atmosphere. The hotel while strictly not a "castle" in the usual sense of the word has been named "Gregans Castle" since it was built in 1750 as a more comfortable residence for the O'Loughlen and Martyn families from the nearby 16th century towerhouse. Located on the Wild Atlantic Way and the Burren Food Trail. The ideal location from which to enjoy the Burren, Cliffs of Moher, Walking, Cycling, the Aran Islands, Horse Riding, Surfing, Sea Angling, Golf. Members of The Burren Ecotourism Network. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Gregans Castle Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gregans Castle Ballyvaughan
- Hotel Gregans Castle
- Gregans Castle Hotel Ballyvaughan, Ireland - The Burren