Not your typical Irish castle, but a cross between a small castle and a New England country inn. (Sorry, teens, no internet and no television, so bring your books, a deck of cards or a game of chess and your cameras!)
Beautifully appointed inside and out, magnficent gardens, views of rolling farmlands and the Burren, minutes from the caves and the profumerie. This was one of the highlights of our trip, with excellent staff, warm and inviting rooms, all first class accomodations with wonderful views. A fine collection of art and books for your perusal and an extraordinary chef in the kitchen. Wonderful selection of wines and champagnes to accompany your sublime meals. ~First class cuisine in a first class hotel in a magical setting.
We will be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With breathtaking views across Galway Bay and idyllically situated overlooking the unique Burren landscape, this is the ultimate luxury and gourmet hideaway. Simon and Frederieke together with their staff manage this oasis of comfort and offer genuine Irish hospitality, award winning innovative cooking and elegant bedrooms free from the intrusion of televisions. Antiques, an eclectic art collection, open fires, candles, jugs of flowers and Shelley the cat add to the indulgently relaxing atmosphere. The hotel while strictly not a "castle" in the usual sense of the word has been named "Gregans Castle" since it was built in 1750 as a more comfortable residence for the O'Loughlen and Martyn families from the nearby 16th century towerhouse. Located on the Wild Atlantic Way and the Burren Food Trail. The ideal location from which to enjoy the Burren, Cliffs of Moher, Walking, Cycling, the Aran Islands, Horse Riding, Surfing, Sea Angling, Golf. Members of The Burren Ecotourism Network. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Gregans Castle Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gregans Castle Ballyvaughan
- Hotel Gregans Castle
- Gregans Castle Hotel Ballyvaughan, Ireland - The Burren