“Amazing Tour Advice”
Review of Cappabhaile House

Cappabhaile House
Ranked #1 of 16 Ballyvaughan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Cappabhaile House is located a mile north of Ballyvaughan, with a gorgeous view of the Burren out the front and a lovey view of a local castle out the back. It has large and comfortable common areas including a pool room with a fireplace and a spacious breakfast room. The rooms are large and well appointed.

But the best part about Cappabhaile House is Conor Fahy, the proprietor. He knows every rock, every photographic site, every pull-off in the Burren, and gave us supurb advice when helping us design a circle tour of the area. From a secret parking place for the Cliffs of Moher (worth its weight in gold!) to just the right place to eat, Connor knows his territory well and takes good care that his guests spend their time wisely.

And then there is the way he chased us when our granddaughter left her jacket in her room - an immensely spacious room, I might add. We felt like family. You could pay more, but you probably won't do much better than staying at Cappabhaile House.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back have a great view of the castle.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mpoppendieck

Reviewed 24 April 2014

We had a wonderful stay here. The location was central to what we wanted to see and an easy drive from Shanno after an overnight flight. Conor was very responsive to all my questions before our arrival and gave us great tips about what to see. Breakfast was the best we had during our week in Ireland.

Room Tip: Our family room was very large!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I stayed with a friend, in Cappabhaile House for three nights and could not have been more pleased with the room, the ambiance, the food and most of all Conor and Margaret's hospitality.

Each morning, Conor would help us chart our explorations which was very helpful and he had resources and advice galore. His own background from living in the region and his love for the history and "story" of the region made for an absolutely amazing experience. I could have stayed for two weeks.

Thanks for a great trip. I will be back!

Melinda

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank melpsu
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We arrived here late (8pm) and Collin was very nice and understanding. He told us he would share some excellent tips of the Burren with us. And he did!! We discovered a wonderful hike to see a fort that wasn't on the map and we also found an abbey that did not have a single person there. We were also able to see the cliffs by paying €2 to park our car at someone's house and from there we hiked up to the hags head side of the cliffs. The breakfast is plentiful! I ordered the cheese and fruit plate and I was able to eat that for breakfast and lunch. The next day my husband got the cheese and I got the fruit and we took most of it on the road with us to eat later that day at Clonmacnoise. Ballyvaughn is a quiet town and we enjoyed the peaceful setting of the B&B. It was a great location for the Burren,

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We only stayed one night but I’d love to return to the Burren and I would stay here again. The location is very convenient to the Ailwee Caves/Birds of Prey, close to the Poulnabrane Portal Dolmen and scenic stopping areas in the Burren. It is also very close to Ballyvaughan and a selection of good restaurants and pubs.

We were referred here by another B&B owner who could not honor our reservation. The hosts at Cappabhaile kindly honored the pricing from the original B&B even though they would normally charge a bit more. Furthermore, we when arrived and were shown to our room, the host upgraded us to a nicer room that was larger and had a great view. Both husband and wife were friendly yet professional. Check in and out was efficient and the WiFi worked very well.

Our family room was very clean and quiet, with large comfortable beds, nice chairs near the window and a good size wardrobe. The bathroom was functional, a decent size and had a good shower. Our view looked out back looked at a hillside pasture. In the morning I heard mooing and looked out to see a farmer and his dogs leading cows out to the pasture in the mist.

Adjacent to the entryway, there is a lounge with a pool table for the use of the guests. That room was a bit worn looking but my daughter really enjoyed playing pool. There is also a sitting area near the entryway so your children could play in the lounge while you sit nearby. I like having a public area so that each person can have some privacy in the room or to accommodate early risers.
Regarding the comment by another poster about the odor in the entry way, when I first entered, I did notice a slight musty smell odor and was concerned about our room. However, no other area had the musty odor including the lounge, hallways, room or breakfast area. I really regard this as a non-issue.

The breakfast room was large and bright with lots of house plants. The portions at breakfast were incredibly generous. I think that hikers or backpackers (or growing teenaged boys!) would be thrilled with the selection and amount of food. If I had known how large the portions were I would have ordered less. The evening before you fill out your breakfast sheet. It includes cereal or porridge/oatmeal or yogurt AND a choice of entrée such as eggs, fruit plate. I ordered the porridge and eggs. If I had stayed another night I would have just ordered the oatmeal. It was plenty for me for breakfast. All the food was good and it came with toast, juice and hot beverages as well.

We stayed in 3 B&B’s, 2 hotels and 1 guesthouse while in Ireland and this was my husband’s favorite lodging.

Room Tip: The king room at the rear had a nice view and was very quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We were delighted with our stay here, the location was wonderful for exploring the Burren, our room was lovely, with a nice modern bathroom, and the surroundings were beautiful. Our hosts were great, friendly and full of good suggestions about where to go and where to eat. Breakfast was delicious, with cooked-to-order omelettes, breads and jams, etc. We had the good fortune to be staying there the night Clare won the national hurling championship, so we got to share in the general excitement. All in all, I would highly recommend this excellent place!

Room Tip: I suspect they are all good!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2013

There is at least one nice family room (for four) with en suite - spacious. The hosts lent us a book about local attractions and were able to accommodate our children's breakfast wishes. Big breakfasts!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballyvaughan
Hylands Burren Hotel
#4 of 16 in Ballyvaughan
Hazelwood Lodge
Hazelwood Lodge
#3 of 16 in Ballyvaughan

Been to Cappabhaile House? Share your experiences!