“Thumbs Up!”

Ranked #2 of 16 Restaurants in Ballyvaughan
Price range: US$6 - US$35
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: At Monks we have a special love for the sea and you can taste it in every delicious mouthful of our authentic, traditional food – lovingly prepared with only the freshest and finest, locally-produced ingredients. And it’s all paired with the picture-postcard prettiness, harbour charm and welcoming country comfort that is the beautiful old fishing port of Ballyvaughan – pearl of the Burren.
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stopped by Monk's Pub and Seafood Restaurant as we saw the signboard about 5 kms back. Decided to try it out. Service was friendly and above average. Seafood is really great! You have to try the Seafood Chowder. For both my wife and I this was the best seafood chowder we've tasted since we got to Ireland! My wife enjoyed her order of mussels...very good. The fish and chips I had were very good too. Totally enjoyed our lunch break here and if only this establishment was around where we stayed we would definitely be a regular for the duration!

On another note, the scenery is very pleasant. Outside sitting is available.

Highly recommended......for at least the Seafood Chowder!

1  Thank Skaramoosh

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Normally I am not a seafood lover but for me, Monks has the best seafood chowder ever. We first visited this restaurant in 2000, and on every trip to Ireland since we have visited Monks for the seafood chowder. This time we were a little unsure after reading recent reports but it was even better than before. I didn't think that was possible.

1  Thank Tymoshan
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Went to Monks on a cold day after hiking around the burren and found it to be warm and cozy. I ordered the fish cakes and there were three of them, very large, served with potato and veg. My husband had fish and chips and he was also pleased. Our table was in the window so we had a great view of the water. The only room for improvement was the service, not terrible, but not great either - since we were not in a hurry it didn't matter to us, but if you needed to be somewhere the waitress was very slow (in fact, I think she took her lunch break)

Reviewed 10 October 2013

It was very easy to find. There were literally large signs for Monks on the way. We had the clam chowder and fish and chips. Fish and chips were good. The chowder was the best I had in Ireland. There is a pier out front and there were a couple guys fishing for shrimp with nets. Was a nice photo op for me. For them, I'm sure I was a nuisance. Was very peaceful just sitting there soaking in the atmosphere.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

We spent a couple of days in this area and were looking for something not too fancy having spent the previous two nights in restaurants in Galway City. Monks was just the ticket with fresh ingredients combined together to great effect. There were plenty of Fish dishes to choose from and my wife and I were so impressed that we brought our Daughter who joined us on our Holiday the following week.