“Burnt,bland,tasteless food”

Money Tree Restaurant
Ranked #56 of 112 Restaurants in Letterkenny
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 13 June 2013

My wife and I visited yesterday evening as we were on a couple of days break in letterkenny .We were having a drink in the cellar pub beer garden(well recommended )and I checked out local Chinese restaurants in area and found money tree.When we arrived there was no body else in but after being seated my wife noticed the take away was busy,so I felt a bit more reassured thinking it must be good enough for locals.We decided to order set menu for 2,which was chicken sweet corn soup,2ribs,2spring rolls and2dim sum and 2wan tons,and prawn crackers.The mains were chicken cashew nuts and beef dish which we changed to duck BBQ pork in soy sauce and crispy chicken in chilli sauce for a surcharge of 2euro!!Soup arrived,fine.Starter plate arrived,wan ton like bullets,ribs burnt black ,spring rolls like something pre bought in a supermarket with a coloured red vinegar,which should have been BBQ sauce,totally rotten.We thought main course couldn't be worse than that,how wrong we were!Duck dish arrived looking black as coal and crispy chicken looked fine with a bowl of fried rice also.The rice was as bland as can be,but hey it's only rice but was worst ever.Chicken was on fire with chilli,way too hot even though we both love spicy foods.The duck was a disgrace indelible.After a few minutes the waiter came over and asked if everything was ok while staring and pointing at my wife's plate of burnt duck.She politely said it was burnt and couldn't eat it,whilst the chicken may be the way they always cook there chilli chicken so I declined to pass comment but my full plate of food told its own story.I said we did not want the banana fritter dessert so promptly asked for the bill.€46.00 I paid in full and left.A disgrace,we don't like getting ripped off for muck,I wouldn't have minded if it was even slightly edible but this was not the case.Definetly worst place ever,don't go.

3  Thank GOLFERS115

Reviewed 29 May 2013

Went there on a Saturday night. Their crispy duck is always a winner! The mains are massive (and I've a big appetite, but even this was too much for me!), so make sure you're not eaten for a week before-hand or else share a main between 2 people.

Reviewed 10 October 2012 via mobile

Excellent takeaway not somewhere to sit in for a meal. They frequently provide free prawn crackers. Would only recommend as a takeaway.

1  Thank Jackmacksir
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Ordered a take away from here so I can't comment on the service but felt totally ripped off paying over 10 euro for a vegetarian singapore noodles that was bland at best (and I've eaten Singapore noodles many times before at other places). There were hardly any vegetables and so much egg that it over powered the dish. I didn't enjoy it at all and won't be back as there was little else on the menu for vegetarians that sounded appealing. I was very disappointed that there was not a single tofu dish considering it was supposed to be Chinese!

Reviewed 14 March 2012

Very disappointing for a chinese. Restaurant is upstairs so not suitable for those with diffuculty with stairs