“Go no further ....”

The Lemon Tree
Ranked #1 of 112 Restaurants in Letterkenny
Price range: US$30 - US$48
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Lemon tree has recently moved MAY 2017 to a NEW location in Letterkenny at the Courtyard Shopping Centre to the rare of the building at the carpark. This is a Letterkenny owned family run restaurant opened in 1999. The three brothers in the kitchen have a unique style with a mixture of traditional Irish and French classic, influenced by country house cooking which was collected by their many years experience all over Irleand. All meats are Irish sourced and fresh fish is a special feature. Everthing is made freshly on site including all breads, pastries, pastas and desserts. The Wine list is ever growing and includes something for all tastes with over 90 different wines. The restaurant offers a Early bird menu 7 days available from 5 - 7 pm and a full A la carte menu from 5 - 10 PM. Lunch is available from 1 - 2:30 PM on Sunday.
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We had 3 nights in Letterkenny in July. My husband asked the advice of our hotel bartender, "if you were to take your sweetheart somewhere special to dine, where would you go?" His eyes lit up and said, "The Lemon Tree." The Lemon Tree it was .... and only a five minute walk away. I'm going to assume the restaurant was small as I never got farther than 20 feet from the front door (on 2 visits). The staff treated us as if we were old friends returning home. The menu was equally as pleasing as the dishes sounded delightful, but for me... I was more intrigued to discover the names of the farms and fisheries providing the meats and local produce. I like to know where my food comes from ... right down to the farm name and location. I guess that makes me somewhat of a food junkie. Even the beer selection, in the' Land of Guinness', was enticing as they were Donegal crafted beers. And were equally as pleasing. Spending 2 of our 3 nights at the Lemon Tree, I dined on the seafood - sea bass and salmon, my husband chose to go terrestrial with local beef one night and chicken the next. Then came dessert .... if you admire good chocolate, go no further; they have something like a mousse with home-made ice cream that I returned to the second night and it was completely different but just as satisfying. My hubby had an apple tartlet and wanted to swap taste for taste, but this was one of the first that I said nothing doing. Kudos to this family owned and run restaurant. Seriously if you're in Letterkenny, enjoy the best of Donegal under one roof.

4  Thank MacD-NC

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Good food , local ingredients, well prepared , good advice on a new wine,friendly service,a very good experience. We were at the rear of the restaurant and at the end of the evening,we were a little warm. This wouldn`t put us off recommending this fine restaurant, the next time we will be near the front door.

2  Thank Salmonfisher2014
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This was my first visit to The Lemon Tree but it most certainly won't be my last. The food was so good. We went for the early bird menu, and what a choice! The service was great, food was piping hot which is a biggie for me and it was a good speedy service but not too speedy like you felt they were trying to get you out the door again asap. I couldn't fault anything with the food or the service. I know some people don't like to see into the kitchen but that wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I will most definitely be recommending it to my friends, the early bird menu is such great value. I'm looking forward to my next visit already ;)

3  Thank jodiejojo
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The Lemon Tree is simply the best restaurant I have ever visited. My previous review from last year said it was simply the best, and one year one, I am happy to repeat that. The quality of the food is absolutely top drawer; it's not tremendously fancy and I'm not a pretentious foodie. What shines through is the quality of the raw ingredients and the fact that they are cooked to absolute perfection.
It's not the most striking of establishments either externally or internally, but I think that's sort of the point; forget the pretension and just strap on the nosebag in this place - it is truly excellent!

2  Thank Philip A
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Although we have visited Letterkenny many times , this was our first trip (and not our last ) to the Lemon Tree. The pre 6.45pm menu was great and I loved my starter of crab on a bed of crushed potato salad with smoked salmon and salmon mousse !
I think previously we give it a miss as thought the children too young, and now as 12 and 14 thought they would enjoy it and they did. But at next table was a small girl of around 6 and staff very helpful and she was enjoying fish goujons and chips so don't be put off if you have children.
Thanks for a lovely meal

2  Thank suzanne c