“Great short stop over” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clanree Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Clanree Hotel
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Letterkenny
County Wexford, Ireland
“Great short stop over”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my son on a rugby weekend away with his club and 51 other kids.
We had a great time, the decor bar is fantastic and so is the food.
Pool was lovely and warm and the only problem was the hotel rooms were to hot.
No biggy.

• Stayed April 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Clanree, Guest Relations Manager at Clanree Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Deane 2013,
Thank you so much for your fabulous review we were delighted to welcome and have your group stay with us it was our pleasure. We are delighted you were impressed with all the facilities and everything we have to offer our guests.
I do hope if you ever get the opportunity to visit Donegal and Lettekenny in the future that we would be given the opportunity to give you another warm welcome to The Clanree Hotel.
Many thanks again for sharing your valuable feedback.
Antoinette Coyle.
0749124369.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Letterkenny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Staff were very helpful and pleasant. Room was clean and a good size. Was a little bit too far out of Letterkenny to walk into the town itself. Nice bar area, pleasant bar staff. Breakfast was included and was adequate. Best was the friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Frank,

Thank you so much for your lovely review we really are grateful for your kind comments and I will certainly pass on your wonderful feedback to the team.
I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back under different circumstances for you and I would like to offer our sincere condolences on you recent family bereavement.

Hope to welcome you again soon to the Clanree Hotel if we can assist in any way at all please contact us at any time.
Antoinette Coyle.
00353 74 9124369
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Myself my wife and too children stayed here for 3 nights as a last minute getaway break as we love donegal. We got off to a very bad start as we had to wait 50 minutes for bar food and the people staying in the room opposite took noise to a whole new level!!!!It turned out to be one very large family using their room as a party zone. I phoned down to reception to complain and they sent the porter up to the room which calmed the situation down temporarily. After a night of very little sleep we were realy looking forward to breakfast which was good but the staff were very rude not even saying good morning!!!!and served the breakfast without saying one word so much for a warm Irish welcome!!! However this is where the story improved because as soon as I complained to Antoinette the reception manager she could have not been more helpful instantly upgrading us to a larger room in a lovely quiet area of the hotel and she also gave us a voucher towards the cost of food. She arranged all of this while we were out on a day trip and checked on us several times over the next few days her customer care was excellent.I would recommend this hotel but do not go to the bar if like me you hate soccer as there are about 12 flat screen tvs on at full volume every evening showing every possible match which makes it very unpleasant to dine in!!!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for choosing the Clanree Hotel & Leisure Centre for your Easter break with your family, we really value your feedback and to thank you for your kind words I was delighted I was given the opportunity to assist you during your stay it was my pleasure to make your experience with us an enjoyable and memorable one and I sincerely apologise for the disturbance you experienced on your first night. I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to visit in the near future and If I can assist in any way please do not hesitate to contact us directly.
Many thanks &
Kind Regards,
003533 749124369
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

We spent 3 nights at this Hotel over the Easter break. We arrived a little early to check-in which presented us with an opportunity to sample the much hyped McGettigan's Pub. The interior was modern and contemporary which we hoped was a prelude to what else the Hotel had to offer.

We decided that due to the time spent travelling beforehand, we wouldn't venture from the hotel on our first day, so proceeded to have lunch. My girlfriend who's vegetarian, ordered the Penne Marinara which was the only item from the main menu to accommodate vegetarians. I had the Steak Sandwich which was tough to the point of almost inedible. However, maybe the chef was having an off-day so I wasn't going to let this detract from the remainder of our stay but sadly, this was only the beginning of things to come.

Don't be fooled by the "Grande" staircase. This Hotel has the feel of one of those cheap and cheerful hotels situated on Blackpool's promenade which are aimed at the budget traveller, except this was neither cheap or cheerful. The breakfast area represents a throwback to the 1970's complete with seating that wouldn't look out of place in a pre-smoking ban working men's club.

The sealant around the bath of our room was fifty shades of black and the view from our window overlooked a dilapidated roof patched together with corrugated metal. When I requested assistance from reception as to why the air-conditioning wasn't working, their response however did make me chuckle when they replied, "it doesn't work in any of our rooms". Despite being a proclaimed premier Hotel, the Wi-Fi didn't work once during our stay.

Nevertheless, we made our way to the Hotel restaurant and as per the menu, asked about the vegetarian options and yes you guessed it, it was Penne Marinara, the same item from the bar menu my girlfriend had had earlier in the day. Afterwards we retired to McGettigan's to take advantage of the live band. What should have been an enjoyable evening was compounded by the bar staff not once but twice trying to overcharge for drinks. Let me be clear, this WASN'T deliberate but just sheer incompetence.

Our stay was not about savouring the aesthetics of the hotel but we just got the feeling that whilst the staff were attentive, the culture is built upon a "that'll do" attitude.

On a plus, the shower pressure was good.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank GPS1976
Dear GPS1976,
Thank you for choosing The Clanree Hotel & Leisure Centre for your recent visit to Letterkenny
We sincerely value your opinion and we apologise that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion as we strive to provide our guests with the best possible hospitality and service and this has always been our mission. We are at the moment upgrading all our bedrooms these works have just begun and should be completed within the next few months and I am confident you will be impressed by the new bedrooms when they are finished.

We have addressed the issues mentioned in your review regarding the vegetarian options and spoken with our Head Chef Keith who is working on a selection of options .
If you would like to discuss any of the points raised in your review I will be glad to speak to you. We would love to get the opportunity to welcome you back to experience the changes and of course to redeem your faith in the Clanree Hotel & Leisure Centre in the near future.
Please do not hesitate to contact me If I can be of any assistance with anything I would be delighted to assist.
Many Thanks &
0035374 9124369.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Spend easter weekend in hotel from good Friday to easter Monday. Hotel is beautiful and breakfast was great. Had dinner in hotel twice and also was very good. Only reason giving it 2 out of 5 was because wifi only worked on the Friday and Saturday morning. It then was unavailable for the rest of out stay. This did not help with our planning what to do each day as well as having two children who had smart phones and tablets with them expecting to be able to keep connected with friends etc. Could not use 3G on phones as from northern Ireland.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Alan M
Dear Alan M,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Clanree Hotel & Leisure Centre and for your positive and kind comments regarding the food and the hotel in general which we really appreciate and value all customer feedback but we were very disappointed to learn you were unable to use our WiFi which is available we have had this issue investigated thoroughly and I can assure the WiFi is available complimentary throughout the hotel for all our guests,as it is a secure site the security password is available from the team at the front desk upon check-in or any team member throughout the Hotel.
I hope we get the chance again to welcome you back in the near future where a warm welcome awaits if I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me or any of the team.
Many Thanks &
Warmest Regards,
Antoinette Coyle,
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Just back from an Easter weekend break at the Clanree hotel.
The food in both the bar and restaurant were lovely and i would definitely recommend the open prawn sandwich.
Pool was quite cold so we couldn’t really stay in it too long and there were too many chemicals in both the Jacuzzi and pool. We both needed an antihistamine having broken out in a reaction and the chemist we went too said we were the third people to come in, in the space of a week, with the same complaint from the same hotel pool.
The bedroom was a little disappointing. I had paid extra for an upgrade to the executive room to make the stay a little more plush for my partners birthday. The description of "Executive Rooms: Enjoy the extra space and comfort of your own mini-suite with sitting area" sold it too me...when we got to the room, yes it was clean but there was nothing special about it. The "sitting area" consisted of one seat so rather than toss a coin or take it in turns to avail of the "sitting area" we went old -school standard double room and watched TV sitting on the bed.
I had brought Champagne with me for the birthday celebrations and was very disappointed to find, the mini fridge was not working. When I questioned it with reception i was told i was in a "re-decorated room" and they had been disconnected but she would ask someone from housekeeping to contact me. No one did so it was back to the trusted way of "old school standard double room" techniques and fill the sink with ice and wait for the bottle to get cold.
As for the room being one of the re-decorated ones, the wallpaper was dated and stained.
The aircon in the room was terrible and we had to sleep with the window open and even though I had requested the room to be away from the main room and double checked when i checked in, it wasnt. It was to the side of the hotel and the noise from the busy road added to my list of what wasnt going to plan.

After the let down of the not so executive bedroom, we went to the bar to avail of the good Friday drinks. I had double checked the bar would be serving alcohol on Good Friday and was told, yes for residents only. When i went to order drink, after displaying our key card, the barman roughly informed us we had to order food before we could order a drink. I explained to him what had been confirmed to me when i was booking and was responded with a "tough, take it or leave it attitude"....so admitting defeat i said, well we have dinner booked for 8pm so we'll have a bowl of chips. No dice....was told, it has to be a main course.
So, out to reception i went, copy of email confirmation in hand where i explained the situation to the lady behind the desk and was told "well, it is good Friday and that it is general practice on Good Friday that while the bar will serve drink it must be with food".
I reminded the girl behind the desk that, i had not been told this was a stipulation when booking and also, that she had reserved a table for us to eat dinner for 8pm - why would we eat two dinners!?
It was after pointing this out that the girl then went for the manager who quickly resolved the situation for us :-) and we were greeted with an apology from the barman.
It was irritating to have to go through so much hassle on what was meant to be the start of a nice, relaxing, chilled out weekend and instead have far too many conversations about something that should have been rectified much quicker and never been an issue in the first place.
We had a lovely time because we made our own fun and let the frustraing things slilde rather than dweel on them but i dont think i would go back.

Room Tip: I have no idea what the normal rooms are like, but dont be fooled by the exectuive rooms thinking th...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Gemgem1583,

Many thanks for choosing the Clanree Hotel & Leisure Centre for your recent visit to Letterkenny. Firstly we would to thank you for your lovely comments on the food in both McGettigan's Bar and the restaurant, we really appreciate your comments.

We truly value your opinion and we apologise that we did not meet your expectations.
We strive to provide our guests with the best possible hospitality and service and this has always been our mission.
I can assure you that we have addressed the issues mentioned in your review and spoke with the team. We are at the moment upgrading the facilities throughout the hotel
If you would like to discuss any of the points raised in your review I will be glad to speak to you. We would love to get the opportunity to welcome you back to experience the changes and to redeem your faith in the Clanree Hotel & Leisure Centre in the near future.
Please do not hesitate to contact me If I can be of any assistance.
Many thanks &
Sincere Regards,
Antoinette Coyle,
Derry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Just back from a lovely and relaxing weekend with my husband ,staff and food was amazing ,staff very friendly and helpful ,rooms were very warm and spacious McGettigans bar very inviting and again staff very friendly would highly recommend the Clanree Hotel to everyone .

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Clanree, Guest Relations Manager at Clanree Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear McgSarah,
Thank you so much for the fantastic review following your recent stay with us in the Clanree Hotel & Leisure which we were all so pleased to read.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. Your words speak for themselves really and have given the entire team a big boost.
We look forward to welcoming you back for another visit in the not too distant future and if we can assist in any way please do not hesitate to contact me.
Many thanks again &