“Not impressed at paying extra”
Review of Clanree Hotel

Clanree Hotel
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Letterkenny
ireland
“Not impressed at paying extra”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed in Clanree from Easter Tuesday until the Thursday with my husband and 3 kids (9,3 and 11 months) we booked the Easter deal through their website for 2 adults 2 kids and one evening meal. I assumed it would be like all hotels and kids under one stay free. So was shocked when we got to reception to check in and the lady at the desk looked at said 'u have 3 children with you that is £15 extra per night' , I said but he is only 11 months, she said no but the deal is for 2 children and I will put the 2 youngest down as the kids staying free with u and the eldest will have to pay, me and my husband looked at each other confused as what she was doing. I thought I'm not going to stand here and argue but it did not make sense what she just done! My 9 year old and 3 year old should have had the free accommodation which was part of the Easter deal and my 11 month old should have been able to stay free as well..... Right? So later that evening when I seen a diff girl on reception I asked her, does children under a certain age get to stay free in this hotel, she said yes under 5's stay free.......I explained my situation and she said no but your deal is only for 2 children!!! I walked away even more confused as I went up!!!! Doesn't make sense! Mite I add that my sister her husband and 3 children were staying too and had got a different girl on reception just after us and there was no questions about their 3rd child and their kids are 8,4 and 2. Really not impressed with this, £30 paid extra!! So when we were checking out the same lady that had checked us in said to me you have additional charges to your room here, I said no couldn't be, she said yes the meal on the first night u overspent and have to pay the extra, I said no that was paid all already after our meal and I went to car to get receipt of my husband! She apologised for this. Confusing and embarrassing as there were people in queue behind me. Also when my sister and her family were checking out they had a mix up too as they said they hadn't pay yet for their stay but they had done on arrival. Disappointed too that jacuzzi wasn't working either on our stay. Would return to this hotel again as lovely food and don't never complain about hotels but didn't like having to pay this. I have booked a deal through treat ticket for hotel in Dublin last week for 2 adults for 2 nights, in small print it says 2 children stay free, great! I emailed them to ask about my 11 month old staying too and it wasn't a problem at all. Thank you Bracken Court. No silly £30 extra charges.

8 Thank yummymummy1985
Clanree, Guest Relations Manager at Clanree Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear yummymummy 1985,

Thank you for choosing the Clanree Hotel & Leisure Centre for your recent family break The family packages are based on 2 children being free of charge with 2 adults staying in a family room which includes full Bed & Breakfast for the 2 children, the children 's evening meals are not included and would be an extra cost, I do apologize for any confusion at time of check-in in explaining the charge for the 3rd child, as we do have to record the number of all guests in each room for H&S purposes. I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and if you could contact us directly we will assure you of our best attention and delver you and your family a truly enjoyable Clanree experience,
Many thanks &
Sincere Regards,
Antoinette Coyle,
0749124369.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

The Clanree reception staff were friendly, polite and efficient, as you would expect from any hotel. We checked in and were directed to our room on the second floor, we had read previous reviews that the hotel rooms were a bit dated so the room had met our expectations on first entering, I didn't however expect to see holes in the net curtains and mould around the bath and sink. Time for the bar! McGettigans was a decent bar serving decent food, football was on, no complaints. But, why on Gods earth is there a baby changing station in open plan right in the middle of the gents toilet beside the hand dryers?? Can somebody explain that please? Back to the hotel, the water temperature from the shower alternated between hot and cold, and it didn't solve the problem when I shouted 'turn that bloody sink tap off' either like it does when I'm at home. Don't go for the black or white pudding at breakfast, mine was cold and like cardboard. Overall fairly disappointing, everything above in my opinion should not be experienced in a 4* hotel, but unfortunately this hotel doesn't meet the grade, definitely not 4*.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JourneysEdge
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit to The Clanree Hotel & Leisure Centre, it was pleasing to read that you had a warm friendly welcome from our front office team and that you enjoyed your experience in the new McGettigan's bar, naturally we are disappointed to learn of your disappointment with other aspects of your stay. The hotel do indeed have a baby changing unit in both the male and female toilets as we feel it was necessary and forward thinking to provide the facilities for the dads who are out with their children who may need to use a changing station.
We are presently upgrading all our bedrooms and this work will be completed within the next few months as you can appreciate we can only do a number of bedrooms at any one time as we are into high season and do not want to disrupt our guests in any way. The Clanree management and staff are very focused on delivering a high quality product and service to all guests which I do hope you will experience on a return visit in the near future, We are currently registered as a 3 star hotel but we are striving to upgrade with the major investment and refurbishment which is currently taking place.
I do hope you will get the opportunity to visit us again and if we can assist in any way please do not hesitate to contact us at any time.
Kind Regards,
074 9124369
County Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my son on a rugby weekend away with his club and 51 other kids.
We had a great time, the decor bar is fantastic and so is the food.
Pool was lovely and warm and the only problem was the hotel rooms were to hot.
No biggy.

• Stayed April 2014
Clanree, Guest Relations Manager at Clanree Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Deane 2013,
Thank you so much for your fabulous review we were delighted to welcome and have your group stay with us it was our pleasure. We are delighted you were impressed with all the facilities and everything we have to offer our guests.
I do hope if you ever get the opportunity to visit Donegal and Lettekenny in the future that we would be given the opportunity to give you another warm welcome to The Clanree Hotel.
Many thanks again for sharing your valuable feedback.
Antoinette Coyle.
0749124369.
Letterkenny
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Staff were very helpful and pleasant. Room was clean and a good size. Was a little bit too far out of Letterkenny to walk into the town itself. Nice bar area, pleasant bar staff. Breakfast was included and was adequate. Best was the friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Frank,

Thank you so much for your lovely review we really are grateful for your kind comments and I will certainly pass on your wonderful feedback to the team.
I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back under different circumstances for you and I would like to offer our sincere condolences on you recent family bereavement.

Hope to welcome you again soon to the Clanree Hotel if we can assist in any way at all please contact us at any time.
Antoinette Coyle.
00353 74 9124369
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Myself my wife and too children stayed here for 3 nights as a last minute getaway break as we love donegal. We got off to a very bad start as we had to wait 50 minutes for bar food and the people staying in the room opposite took noise to a whole new level!!!!It turned out to be one very large family using their room as a party zone. I phoned down to reception to complain and they sent the porter up to the room which calmed the situation down temporarily. After a night of very little sleep we were realy looking forward to breakfast which was good but the staff were very rude not even saying good morning!!!!and served the breakfast without saying one word so much for a warm Irish welcome!!! However this is where the story improved because as soon as I complained to Antoinette the reception manager she could have not been more helpful instantly upgrading us to a larger room in a lovely quiet area of the hotel and she also gave us a voucher towards the cost of food. She arranged all of this while we were out on a day trip and checked on us several times over the next few days her customer care was excellent.I would recommend this hotel but do not go to the bar if like me you hate soccer as there are about 12 flat screen tvs on at full volume every evening showing every possible match which makes it very unpleasant to dine in!!!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for choosing the Clanree Hotel & Leisure Centre for your Easter break with your family, we really value your feedback and to thank you for your kind words I was delighted I was given the opportunity to assist you during your stay it was my pleasure to make your experience with us an enjoyable and memorable one and I sincerely apologise for the disturbance you experienced on your first night. I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to visit in the near future and If I can assist in any way please do not hesitate to contact us directly.
Many thanks &
Kind Regards,
003533 749124369
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We spent 3 nights at this Hotel over the Easter break. We arrived a little early to check-in which presented us with an opportunity to sample the much hyped McGettigan's Pub. The interior was modern and contemporary which we hoped was a prelude to what else the Hotel had to offer.

We decided that due to the time spent travelling beforehand, we wouldn't venture from the hotel on our first day, so proceeded to have lunch. My girlfriend who's vegetarian, ordered the Penne Marinara which was the only item from the main menu to accommodate vegetarians. I had the Steak Sandwich which was tough to the point of almost inedible. However, maybe the chef was having an off-day so I wasn't going to let this detract from the remainder of our stay but sadly, this was only the beginning of things to come.

Don't be fooled by the "Grande" staircase. This Hotel has the feel of one of those cheap and cheerful hotels situated on Blackpool's promenade which are aimed at the budget traveller, except this was neither cheap or cheerful. The breakfast area represents a throwback to the 1970's complete with seating that wouldn't look out of place in a pre-smoking ban working men's club.

The sealant around the bath of our room was fifty shades of black and the view from our window overlooked a dilapidated roof patched together with corrugated metal. When I requested assistance from reception as to why the air-conditioning wasn't working, their response however did make me chuckle when they replied, "it doesn't work in any of our rooms". Despite being a proclaimed premier Hotel, the Wi-Fi didn't work once during our stay.

Nevertheless, we made our way to the Hotel restaurant and as per the menu, asked about the vegetarian options and yes you guessed it, it was Penne Marinara, the same item from the bar menu my girlfriend had had earlier in the day. Afterwards we retired to McGettigan's to take advantage of the live band. What should have been an enjoyable evening was compounded by the bar staff not once but twice trying to overcharge for drinks. Let me be clear, this WASN'T deliberate but just sheer incompetence.

Our stay was not about savouring the aesthetics of the hotel but we just got the feeling that whilst the staff were attentive, the culture is built upon a "that'll do" attitude.

On a plus, the shower pressure was good.

2 Thank GPS1976
Dear GPS1976,
Thank you for choosing The Clanree Hotel & Leisure Centre for your recent visit to Letterkenny
We sincerely value your opinion and we apologise that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion as we strive to provide our guests with the best possible hospitality and service and this has always been our mission. We are at the moment upgrading all our bedrooms these works have just begun and should be completed within the next few months and I am confident you will be impressed by the new bedrooms when they are finished.

We have addressed the issues mentioned in your review regarding the vegetarian options and spoken with our Head Chef Keith who is working on a selection of options .
If you would like to discuss any of the points raised in your review I will be glad to speak to you. We would love to get the opportunity to welcome you back to experience the changes and of course to redeem your faith in the Clanree Hotel & Leisure Centre in the near future.
Please do not hesitate to contact me If I can be of any assistance with anything I would be delighted to assist.
0035374 9124369.
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Spend easter weekend in hotel from good Friday to easter Monday. Hotel is beautiful and breakfast was great. Had dinner in hotel twice and also was very good. Only reason giving it 2 out of 5 was because wifi only worked on the Friday and Saturday morning. It then was unavailable for the rest of out stay. This did not help with our planning what to do each day as well as having two children who had smart phones and tablets with them expecting to be able to keep connected with friends etc. Could not use 3G on phones as from northern Ireland.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Alan M
Dear Alan M,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Clanree Hotel & Leisure Centre and for your positive and kind comments regarding the food and the hotel in general which we really appreciate and value all customer feedback but we were very disappointed to learn you were unable to use our WiFi which is available we have had this issue investigated thoroughly and I can assure the WiFi is available complimentary throughout the hotel for all our guests,as it is a secure site the security password is available from the team at the front desk upon check-in or any team member throughout the Hotel.
I hope we get the chance again to welcome you back in the near future where a warm welcome awaits if I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me or any of the team.
Warmest Regards,