“Average hotel but beware of band noise from the ballroom”

Mount Errigal Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Letterkenny
Drogheda
“Average hotel but beware of band noise from the ballroom”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

The staff are lovely and friendly. The bar food is good. Good buffet breakfast.
We had a family room with two double beds in a large room it was great.
The problem with this hotel is the noise in the corridors and from the band if there is a wedding on.
Bring ear plugs.
The hotel is out of the town so if you plan to go to town and have a few drinks you need to take a taxi.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
ErrigalSales, Sales & Marketing Manager at Mount Errigal Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
Thank you for taking time out to review your recent stay. I'm sorry you experienced noise during your stay, I will certainly look into this.

I'm delighted you were happy with the remainder of your stay.

Carolynne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
belfast
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Stayed in january for a weekend celebrating a birthday party, never again, rooms with no heat, mildew on windows and smelling strongly of smoke, hair drier not working. The meal saw a few getting tin foil and hairs...... 6 didnt get any dessert despite asking two waitresses- a total waste of money and very disappointing.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank floss102
Lurgan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Well, firstly let me say that our experience of a family break at the Mount Errigal Hotel has left us flat and disappointed with the experience. It was such a game changer for us, that it has prompted me to sign up to Trip Advisor and post my first ever review. Firstly, though, I do have to say that all credit given to the staff of the hotel, as they are without doubt amongst the nicest and friendliest that we have encountered and for us, were the saving grace.
We booked a two night Family Package which was dinner and B&B for all the family. We also decided to take the Parents as well and booked the Dinner B&B for them. Having seen the reviews, we had high hopes.
We arrived early and to their credit, the reception staff arranged for our rooms to be prepped first so that we could check in earlier than usual and again, a credit to the staff. We went to the bar area and had sandwiches, tea etc and was pleasant enough. My Father in law is a keen hurling fan and despite the six or so tv's in the bar all with the same soccer match, the best they could do for him and half dozen others was a screen at the very back with no sound. One thing we did enquire about was music in the bar than night, which was bank holiday Sunday night. We were told that there was and we looked forward to it, as we like to enjoy the whole "hotel experience" and whilst we aren't big drinkers, our kids are adaptable, sociable and when on holidays, like to stay up a bit later and enjoy the atmosphere. We came down for dinner that night and that's when the wheels started to come off the wagon, so to speak. Before travelling I always give the hotel a buzz to check a few things, as when on these family deals, very often you're limited as to where you eat in the hotel. We went to the bar for dinner and were given these separate menus, which we were told, were the family menus. Wherever we've been before, we've always eaten from the same menus as everyone else, it's just included in the price, however we nevertheless looked forward to dinner and ordered from this menu. The food was delivered quickly enough but the standard was below average. In particular I had the burrito which had a filling strangely similar to my sons bolognese sauce?.... Two had steak and only after we had it delivered were we told of the 'steak supplement' payable. One ordered the fish and they had to pick around it as the batter was inedible. We're simple enough in our tastes and like wholesome food, well cooked, but this was below standard. All in all, very disappointing. We stayed on in the bar for a while, waiting for the music and there wasn't any. Not great for a bank holiday Sunday night and not what the customers were expecting judging by the number of enquiries I overheard every time I went to the bar. Also, not once and I do mean not once, did anyone come to our table to clear away the empties and in the end my mother in law had to clear the glassed on to an adjoining table to make some room. We went to bed a bit flat and disappointed and I enquired about the absence of music and was told by the manager that there would be music next night. It's not that we're music mad, but when you have a family break in a hotel, the hotel atmosphere is crucial and a very important element and this was sadly lacking.
Day two and we enjoyed the lovely leisure facilities, nice pool area etc and again the staff so friendly and helpful. We arranged for some friends to travel from Derry to meet us that afternoon for a catch up. We went to the bar again for some snacks, tea etc. Once again, not a single glass was lifted from our table for some strange reason. Our friend who came to visit us was a senior figure in the Irish Tourist Board and she couldn't believe it. Only when we started to again clear the empties on to an empty table was one of the bar staff prompted to come and clear them away.
That night we came down for dinner and the waiter told us that although not on the family menu, we could also avail of the car very style dinner of turkey and ham. He also told us up front about the steak supplement. If the car very had been an option the previous night we certainly weren't told. Food was just ok, nothing better. Oh and no music yet again. Another evening without any atmosphere and judging by the number of entertainment enquiries again, a surprise to a lot of people. This was a bank holiday weekend after all.
The rooms were spacious enough but the decor was very worn and shabby in places. Our bathroom woodwork had suffered water damage and was past its best. Our window safety mechanism was broken and allowed the window to be fully opened. We caught our 3 year old with her head out the window at one point, not realising the safety feature wasn't working. The rooms were so warm and we couldn't crack the window open as the room looked out onto a flat roof area and would have presented a security issue. When we did close the window, we found that the locks were worn and a push had the window open again. I'm sure that they would have changed the room for us if we had asked, to their credit, but we had all our stuff out and by this time were flat and disappointed, that we just trudged on. The beds are standard double which are quite small and one bed springs were so badly worn that it was shaped like a banana. Again, to the credit of the hotel, they allowed us to check out later so we could enjoy the leisure facilities and we appreciated that.
We don't often complain but when we do feel that service has fallen short, we feel its only fair to give feedback at checkout but in this instance, we were so very disappointed and flat after the experience that we reasoned perhaps the gap between our expectations and the Errigals product was just too large to bridge and had a brief discussion with the staff when asked as to how our stay went.
There were functions on both nights with coach parties, large delegations/ parties etc and I can't help but conclude that perhaps the hotel is best suited to these type of events. For family breaks I think you need to sell the whole hotel experience and ambience, certainly on a bank holiday weekend a little more effort would be reasonable to expect, especially if you're selling these family packages. I'm genuinely confused and bewildered as having read the reviews we expected much better. Maybe it was a one off? Coincidence? Had a bad weekend? I don't know. One thing that we did motive was that there were very few other young families evident in and around the hotel and again, perhaps we were unlucky with our timing but we would take a number of breaks like this throughout the year, staying in all kinds of hotels and have never had a break like this. How the hotel sets the atmosphere and environment is key to enhancing the enjoyment for families and when we've stayed in some hotels rated below this one, they've made up for in spades by having an entertainment experience that leaves you wanting to return and many happy memories. This was not the case here, we usually stay at another Leterkenny hotel a stones throw from this one and they really know how to cater for families.
I think that this hotel is best suited to coach parties, delegations, conferences, weddings etc or people interested in being in bed by nine, looking for a base while you go out and about, but if you're a sociable, outgoing family looking for the complete hotel experience, I'm really not sure that this is the hotel for you, as there are many others that are far more family friendly in so far as they put the effort into creating the whole family package and experience and not just accommodation and food. Lovely, lovely staff though and in my opinion, the hotels biggest asset, just perhaps poorly managed in the bar.
However, this is just our opinion and people are different. We're not hard to please nor fussy and quite easy going. This is just our tuppence worth.

Room Tip: Fifth floor has no lift access, stairs only.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Machbuffet
Thank you for taking time out to review your stay. I'm sorry to hear that the lack of music in the bar impacted on your enjoyment of our family package. Music in the bar is arranged when we are busy, however, on the weekend you stayed, we had no demand because the majority of guests staying here where in private functions.
Live Music in the bar begins at 9.30pm when it is arranged and this is not something that we advertise as part of the family package.

If we had known that music was so important to you, we certainly would have made arrangements for it. I can only apologise at this stage.

I'm delighted you enjoyed the rest of your stay.

Warmest Regards
Coleraine, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We stayed one night in The Mount Errigal Hotel, Letterkenny. It was very good. Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice & plenty to eat. We stayed on a Friday night & dined in the bar where the food was good & there was entertainment/music on. The netertainment was a guy with a guitar & various backing tracks, etc. He was great. He played all the old, traditional favourites & many of the patrons were singing along, obviously enjoying themselves.

We've stayed here before & we certainly would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Xandalree
ErrigalSales, Sales & Marketing Manager at Mount Errigal Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Thanks a million for your very positive review! We are delighted by your comments on food & entertainment & we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 6 May 2013

I intend this review to be constructive in its criticism - I stayed at the Mount Errigal this holiday weekend with my partner. The hotel staff are very nice and our room in the basement was satisfactory however it did have an overpowering smell of stale cigarette smoke which prevailed for the duration of our stay. I didn't ask to be moved as the receptionist told us, on checking in, that the hotel was fully booked. Our room severely lacked accessible power points - it took me nearly 5 minutes to find one and this was awkwardly located and was only a single outlet!!!! where is one supposed to charge camera, phone and other items used on a leisure trip - really guys this is not acceptable at all!!
Entertainment for a holiday weekend was very poor indeed (Saturday night one guy playing country music stuck in a dim corner of the elongated bar) and for Sunday night the place had the feel of a retirement home - no fires lit no music or entertainment of any sort and the lobby was empty and cold. The bar area too was empty and atmosphere less with football playing on a large screen TV. Finally to the food - our meal on Saturday night was in the "intimate" strawberry garden restaurant (intimate being the hotels choice of wording, not mine) the food quality was very good, however the restaurant was drowned out by a raucous group of diners who were allowed to behave as they wished, unchecked by staff, so our meal was far from intimate or quiet. The breakfast food was not so good - while the choice of cereals and fruit were to a good standard the cooked breakfast selection was appalling - deep fried everything!! - rashers and sausages and the black/white pudding was deep fried to the point of being unrecognisable - this is a disgusting practice and really contrary to good food standards and a healthy eating ethos.
Overall this hotel is worthy of praise for its friendly staff and location. It needs a lot of work on the entrance (the large entrance doors are more worthy of a church than a hotel) and the cold austere foyer - other areas of the hotel are a little jaded also and the placing of non smoking guests into rooms which stink of stale smoke is unacceptable.

Room Tip: If you are a non smoker insist on getting a NON smoking room.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mceochaidh
ErrigalSales, Sales & Marekting Manager at Mount Errigal Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Thank you for taking time out to provide some constructive feedback. I'm very sorry to hear that some elements of your stay did not impress you, I will certainly take on board your comments and address them with each department accordingly.

Donegal Town, Ireland
Reviewed 1 May 2013

A group of 16 had a most enjoyable residential weekend in the Mount Errigal Hotel. We got absolutely fantastic value for money, accommodation, restaurant, bar and Leisure staff were so helpful and catered to our every need. As I arranged the weekend, I was a bit nervous, as 8 of our group were from the Derry area, and I really hoped everything would be suitable, but I need not have worried. From the moment we checked in, the service was excellent. We used a conference room throughout the weekend, and they even allowed us to use an adjoining conference room which suited our needs perfectly. All in all, a great place for a large group of individuals with differing tastes. Well done to all the Staff, and just to add, the food was really good.
Pen2Paper writers group and Here We Go theatre group

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Thanks a million for taking time out to review your recent weekend residential. I'm delighted your conference was a great success and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing us! We wish 'Pen 2 Paper' & 'Here We Go' the very best of luck for the future.

Warmest Regards
Craigavon
Reviewed 1 May 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a 2 night break in the Mount Errigal in Letterkenny. We've stayed in this hotel before and so have come to expect a high standard of accommodation. Once again, we were not disappointed. While the room was slightly smaller than the previous ones we have stayed in, this was to be expected with the deal that was on offer. The pool and spa were put to good use and both the breakfast and the evening meals were perfect. We look forward to our next trip. While the Mount Errigal is slightly out of the town, the facilities more than make up for the short stroll, however, a few days could easily be passed in the hotel without travelling anywhere.

Room Tip: Advise the staff at reception of your needs and they will do their best to accommodate you.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking time out to review your recent stay. I'm delighted by your positive comments on our hotel. From your review, I can only assume you previously stayed in an executive and the most recent time you stayed in a standard. as a valued repeat guest, please do not hesitate in requesting an executive on your next stay and we will try our best to provide that for you.