“Good value for money. Friendly staff.” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Mount Errigal Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Letterkenny
Irish couple in Paris
“Good value for money. Friendly staff.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

My husband and I enjoyed a long Easter weekend in Mount Errigal. We got an excellent B&B rate from Expedia and upgraded to a superior room once we arrived having noted other trip advisor reviews regarding this.
For our extra 15 euros a night we got a cooler fridge ( perfect for our snacks and prosecco & champagne!) a king size bed and large room.
The hotel was fairly quiet on Good Friday but appeared to be at full capacity the rest of the weekend. Breakfast has a reasonable choice- nothing overly fancy but a variety of cereals and the usual Irish fry with fried eggs or scrambled egg option. It was sufficient but by the 3rd day a bit more variety would have been nice. That said, we got good value for money.
We had brought our gym gear and swimming costumes. The pool was very busy with families so we decided not to bother on this occasion. As we walked alot over the course of the weekend we didn't bother going to the gym.
The hotel is well situated. Very easily accessed on arriving into Letterkenny. Free parking. Within 2 mins by car or 10 minute walk is Arena 7 which has bowling, laserquest, pools tables, arcade games and karting. My husband and I walked up after breakfast on Saturday morning and had a game of pool and bowls when it had just opened and was quiet. I suspect later that day it would have been extremely busy.
We also walked into the town centre and shopping centre. The main street has a limited number of shops but the shopping centre seemed very popular and was very busy.
On Sunday we drove to Glenveagh national park which is 20-30 mins drive away and well worth a visit.
We also went to Century cinema during our visit- 3 mins away by car.
All in all we had an enjoyable weekend and would definitely consider going back.
The only minor issue was having to ring reception on 2 occasions to remind them to replenish our cooler fridge but once telephoned this was arranged very quickly. Staff were at all times very courteous and helpful.

Room Tip: Superior upgrade of 15 euros per night provides king size bed, larger room and cooler fridge with so...
1 Thank Siobhan2010
ErrigalSales, Manager at Mount Errigal Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you for taking time out to review your recent stay with us. I'm delighted that we impressed you. I apologise as regards your mini cooler not being restocked without request, this should not have happened.

We hope you will give us another chance to impress you in the future, on your return, please be sure to contact us directly, we like to upgrade our repeat guests for free if we have availability.

Carolynne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
Belfast, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

We travelled to the Mount Errigal as a family group, we had 4 rooms. Rooms were nice, clean and spacious. We ate in the bar the first night it was really nice and everyone enjoyed their meal. Breakfast was very poor, long queues, terrible food, didn't bother going down second morning.

After breakfast the first morning the cleaners were in our room, I noticed our iPad had been lifted off the floor and placed on the bedside table. About 10 minutes later I went on the iPad and noticed there was a few cracks in the screen at the corner and the cover was cracked in that corner. I immediately reported this to reception. The manager came to the room, then got the cleaner who denied it!!!! I then told the manager I would double check with my sister if she had been back in the room. We all went out for the day I was determined that this would not ruin our break away, but I was upset as it was a Santa present for my daughter.

On check out I asked to speak to the manager but she was off, so I left my details. The manager phoned me the next day saying it was my word against the cleaners !!!! I told her I had no reason to lie and she said she would get back to me, it took 2 weeks for an email to say there was no proof. Be aware of they bad management!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank berniemck
Northern Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

I booked the 'lovers date night' package for my Husband for his birthday and we had a fabulous time in the Mount Errigal Hotel. You could not fault the value of this package. The girls on the reception were welcoming and friendly so first impressions were good which I always feel is important. The room we had was large and spotlessly clean and a small fridge in the room had chocolate and soft drinks which was a really nice touch - i'm not sure if this is because I had booked a superior room. We ate in the Strawberry Garden Restaurant and the food was nice - for the money we paid we can't complain - the staff in the restaurant were pleasant enough but there was 1 girl that stood out due to her excellent customer service skills and warm manner - her name was Brona and she was one of those girls that just has a very natural genuine warmth - she engaged in conversation and made sure my husband & I had everything we needed - I wish we had got her when we were giving our food order when we first arrived because 3 times(as I REALLY don't like this veg!!!) I asked another waitress for a certain veg not to be on my plate - 3 times I asked because she said i'l try to make sure there is only small amount to which I again politely asked to have none - and guess what, the said veg was there (I ate round it but thats not really the point!) - this member of staff could be trained by Brona on listening skills - its always a shame when because of other's poor service it brings the rating down for the rest of the team!!! Thank you for standing out Brona! We had drinks in the evening in the hotel's bar which had a great atmosphere and a wee fiddly dee 2 man band playing Irish songs!
Breakfast was buffet style and again for what we paid we couldn't fault it.
My husband and I took full advantage of the late check out included with our package - this was another nice wee touch as we didn't have to rush ourselves, we didn't need to leave the hotel until 1pm - the girl (like the last one) on reception was warm, pleasant & friendly.
All in all Mount Errigal is a fabulous 3 star Hotel and was a pleasure to stay in, my husband & I will certainly return. Thank you!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your positive feedback, Brona is indeed a fantastic member of staff, she will be delighted by your comments. I'm sorry you had an issue with ordering your preferred vegetables, I will certainly speak to the staff involved and ensure that this is improved for the future.

We are delighted that you were overall, very impressed with your recent stay with us. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

We went for a relaxing weekend and the poor service and associated management Kent that it was ruined and we packed and left to find another hotel.
Our first concerns were felt on the Saturday when the bar service was poor and the tv service was constantly disrupted by a poor signal as it was clear they were streaming sports. On the Sunday the breakfast area was mayhem and there was no personal service given. We then recieved a letter under our door just as we were preparing to use the carvery for lunch, the letter said: we had to move due to maintenance. So we undertook the move which firstly took over an hour of our holiday and disrupted our plans for Sunday, secondly the new room was smaller and we gained no offer of assistance from reception in this move, and third Made us last into the carvery where we endured a very poor serviceable and were even told to 'hurry up' by staff as the chefs were clearing the food away, they even forced us to take our main meals into the bar area to clear us from the restaurant (no chance for dessert).
When i raised these concerns I was astounded by the rude stance by the staff and the claim that the move was my own fault and I should have complained before moving - an utterly bizarre situation then played out in front of other customers were I was constantly being told that it was all my own fault. When I asked to move away from this public embarrassment the manager simply moved me into another communial area so I was forced to ask to use their private office. I immediately left the hotel even though the manager was refusing me a refund, and was unmoved by the fact that this was our first weekend away (holiday) in over a year. Their service and management get the lowest score possible.

5 Thank MikeM61_12
Firstly, I would like to apologise whole heartedly for how your room move was requested, this certainly could have been dealt with in a much better way. We were in fact upgrading your room to an executive; they are all larger than the standard rooms.
You should have been offered assistance and I apologise about that, you were also well within your rights to stay where you were originally, so I apologise that this was not made clear to you.
As regards your lunch, I'm sorry you were disappointed, however, it is not true that you were asked to take your meal to the bar, nonetheless, I apologise for how you were made to feel rushed, this should not have happened at all.
I understand that you were quite frustrated by the time you spoke to management in the evening and perhaps, you came across a little aggressive because of that. Our management team tried their very best to appease you by offering you whatever they could to rectify your disappointment at that stage, however, you were not prepared to stay.
Following your departure, our General Manager immediately contacted you the very next morning to apologise again and offer you compensation, however, this was refused by you.
It's very unfortunate that you did not give us the chance to rectify this with you directly. I hope you can accept my apology on this occasion. It is not often that we get complaints of this nature, we are very sorry that you did not enjoy our usual high standard of customer service.

Coleraine, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed at the Mount Errigal for 3 nights recently and were delighted with our stay.
The leisure facitlites were fantastic with state of the art gym equipment. We have stayed in many hotels in Letterkenny but this is by far the best.

Our room was large and spacious and towels changed everyday and room tidied.
The food was delicious, the first night we stayed we ate in the bar and the food was really well presented and tasted as good as it looked. Within our package we had a dinner included and we had this in the main restaurant which had a really relaxing setting sitting by the open fire. It was a 3 course meal and my husband and I were delighted with the whole thing.

We had a lovely romantic weekend away and enjoyed every minute so thank you to the Mount Errigal for such a fabulous hotel.

I really couldn't have faulted anything about our stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your fabulous review, we are delighted that you were impressed and we hope we will have another opportunity to impress you in the near future.

Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Our rooms were spacious clean and comfortable, staff were friendly, polite helpful esp Keith. the only disappointment was the Larger and the Guinness was poor. Our overall stay was brilliant but we dined in the yellow pepper restaurant in Letterkenny which was excellent. Well worth a visit

Room Tip: Standard rooms are excellent
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks a million for your positive feedback. I apologise about the Guinness, I will certainly speak to our bar manager to ensure the quality is consistent in future.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Naas, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

I have just returned from a 4 day trip with McGinley travel to Donegal ,our hotel was the Mount Errigal in Letterkenny.My room was great, good size and spotlessly clean. From the time we arrived the friendliness of the hotel staff and their attention to guests was full of Irish warmth and hospitality .The food was plentiful and good quality however if you are looking for foreign cuisine this is not available ,it was good Irish food and plenty of it .
The hotel was quiet and peaceful at night and easy to get a good sleep.
My only minor complaint would be the poor lighting for reading in bed .Perhaps its a symptom of the kindle era ,but some of us oldies still read books !!!! It would be nice to have a reading lamp.
This hotel is great value for money and a great base for touring Donegal and Derry.
Imelda Browne

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I'm delighted to hear that you were very happy with most aspects of your stay.
I'm sorry to hear that reading was difficult with the lighting provided.. you have a valid point as regards the 'kindle era' because we very rarely get complaints about the lighting, however, I will certainly look into this and make improvements where possible.

Thanks again so much for your very encouraging review, it makes all our hard work & best efforts worthwhile.