“So disappointed”

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Letterkenny
Mullingar, Ireland
“So disappointed”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The location and leisure centre is the only bonus for this hotel. I was so so disappointed with our stay. We checked in Saturday 31 May. When we arrived there was a wedding in the hotel so after working in the hospitality industry for over 11 years it would be reasonable to say that the lobby etc was busy. When booking the room I paid the extra money for an upgraded room and ensured that it was noted as a smoking room. When I got up to our room, the first thing that met me was the outdated décor and the navyblue and white bathroom suite that most Grandparents had in there houses at some stage. I was then met with a no smoking sign on the mirror. I straight away phoned reception and stated that I had booked a smoking room which she didn't seem to be aware of although stated on the reservation. The response I got was "Sorry we have only a limited number of smoking rooms available and they are all booked". My scenery consisted of the looking out at a dirty back yard whilst overlooking what can only be described as a white sheeted extended shed. We went for bar food in the bar MASSIVE MISTAKE!! All the wedding crowd had assembled in the ballroom for their dinner leaving 5 bar staff standing around behind the bar chatting although there was tables full of glasses both in the bar and out on the smoking terrace. I walked up to the bar & was met by a super unenthusiastic barman. I asked for a menu to order barfood, these were handed to us. After waiting for 15 minutes to get our order taken I went back up to the bar ordered two Diet cokes and asked could someone come down and take our order? (Bear in mind there was 5 behind the counter standing around). I was given two 150ml bottles of Diet Coke (not even the standard size) and charged €5.40 for them. Another 23 minutes passed before a girl came to take our order even though a table of four came in ten minutes after us & had their order placed before ours. The food was good. But the service was a disgrace. Over our two night stay only on one occasion did I see anything that resembled a manager and this was a curly haired woman who appeared for five minutes a breakfast time on Sunday morning, picked up a couple of trays gave us a half hearted smile and disappeared. The breakfast was even better (NOT), upon reading the information book in the bedroom I found that for Breakfast in bed there was a charge of €10 per person as " the hotel wanted us to join them for breakfast in order to appreciate the full extent of their continental breakfast etc.." Based on this I was expecting Breakfast to be amazing...(Wrong Again) As a vegetarian my breakfast on Monday morning consisted of a bowl of cereal and a glass of Apple Juice (orange juice undrinkable). I had to ask for Toast, tea and coffee for the two of us. The coffee was cold and the waiter gave us a basket with 1 slice of toast each in it. Up to 8.36 when we left the breakfast room on Monday morning not even the sign of a croissant never mind cheeses... Absolute Disgrace. The hotel is completely overstaffed with absolutely no organisation or leadership in any of there service departments. The leisure centre staff were extremely friendly, the facilities clean and the equipment state of the art. As a touring base for Nothern Ireland the location is ideal but if your looking for customer service Forget it.

Room Tip: A different Hotel- My bed sheet had what looked like purple ink stains on the bottom sheet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank nicki05

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
Newry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

we went for a break to chill out and were delighted to find out when we arrived that highland radio were putting on a big show that night we thoroughly enjoyed it. our stay was very pleasant and our evening meals were lovely sorry to say the breakfasts were not very good. the scrabbled egg was really bad. apart from that we had a very pleasant time. the room was very clean and comfortable. please let me know in future if there are country singers or bands playing i would definately go back.

CO. DOWN
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My husband, son and I had the pleasure of staying for one night in this hotel. Check-in was fast and reception staff were courteous and very friendly. We stayed in room 350 which was spotlessly clean. It had two doubles beds with fresh white linens, tea/coffee making facilities, TV and lovely bathroom. It was very quiet at night.
We used the leisure facilities- pool , jacuzzi etc and were very pleased. Breakfast was self-service and very enjoyable.
My only complaint is that we could not stay longer.
I highly recommend this lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Staff will do their best to accommodate your requests. Just ask at the time of booking
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PISCESCo_Down
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed 3 nights B&B with 1,3 course dinner.Staff very nice,both accommodation and bar very good.Very good vibe about the hotel,the meal we had was as good as you would find in any top class hotel,waiting staff were also very attentive.All in all a good experience.

Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We recently stayed as we were guests at a weeding. Room was clean and comfortable. Better than some European hotels we stayed in and paid more. As a Coeliac the Wedding meal and breakfast was as good as I have ever had anywhere in past 14 years. Really value for money

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is a bit dated, but still clean and comfortable. The food here is great so if you can get a deal that includes an evening meal, take it it will be worth your while.the leisure facilities are fit for purpose and the lounge is a great place to settle down with a drink and a newspaper. The town of Letterkenny is not exactly a Mecca for tourists, but the surrounding sights are well worth a visit. Worth paying a bit extra for the executive room if you are going to spend a lot of time in your room

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

This hotel is clean, the food is wonderful home cooking and fresh, there is a wonderful big bar serving great food too and a place to relax by a big fire, the staff are so nice, so helpful and nothing is a problem, towels all replaced each day and room cleaned well , a great place to base your stay, Letterkenny its self as a town is poor not a holiday location at all but the hotel is fantastic stay there and tour all the other areas of beauty near buy, I recommend this hotel 100%

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Letterkenny
Clanree Hotel
Station House Hotel Letterkenny
Shandon Hotel and Spa
Shandon Hotel and Spa
#1 of 1 in Portnablagh

Been to Mount Errigal Hotel? Share your experiences!