“Excellent food and friendly staff.”

Castle Grove Country House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Letterkenny
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We had an excellent stay at the Castle Grove and would highly recommend it. The owner Mary was so friendly and very interesting when talking about the house. The room was slightly cold but lovely. We also really appreciated the complimentary coffee and fruit bread that we got whilst sitting beside the roaring fire! We ate in the hotel restaurant and the food was outstanding, we couldn't fault it! The setting is lovely and we intend to return later in the spring.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Eirene S, Manager at Castle Grove Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Hi Louise,

Firstly let me thank you for taking the time to write this review and of course your kind words re the friendly service and the food.
We do work hard to provide friendly attentive service at all times and we are very pleased you enjoyed the food so much.
We are very proud of our restaurant's achievements and awards and we continue to use customer feedback to grow and improve on a daily basis.
I will be sure to tell mum, Mary, that you enjoyed hearing about the history of the house, she will be delighted!!
I and all the team here very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

We had our wedding reception at Castle Grove in February 2014. Right from the first time we enquired, we were treated as royalty. The staff could not have done any more for us to make our wedding and our stay there any more perfect. The setting is beautiful in the grounds and the guest rooms are spectacular - the whole hotel is furnished with antiques and period décor. It's such a beautiful environment in which to relax and enjoy.

Our meal was sensational - Filet of Irish Beef for everyone, which was cooked beautifully.

Breakfast was lovely too!

The staff are so fantastic. Everyone makes each and every guest feel so welcomed.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mary L

Hi Mary,

Thank you very much for your your kind words, I am delighted the Castle Grove team was able to help in this very special day and it is so rewarding for us to know that you, your groom, family and friends all enjoyed the day!
We do work effortlessly to make sure all our guests enjoy their stay and in particular wedding parties as this really is their big day and we want everything to be just perfect.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Castle Grove soon!!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed here one night with my husband, wonderful experience.I booked the suite as a treat,this was a great choice. We had a lovely sitting room and a bedroom with a huge four poster bed. Everything about this place is so peaceful and tranquil, exactly what we needed. The house is beautiful with some amazing pieces of furniture, staff are always on hand, genuinely friendly, without being intrusive. It has an old fashioned charm, with tea offered on arrival by the fire and the delightful Mrs Sweeny visiting her guests in he dining room, good old fashioned hosting!We will definitely return ASAP! ....and the food!...amazing!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us so much.
I will be sure to show my mother, Mrs Sweeney, and the staff your kind review and very much look forward to welcoming you to Castle Grove in the near future.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

In December my husband and I took a short break in Co Donegal and went went for dinner to Grove House. So impressed were we of the quality of the food and the hospitality of the owner and staff that my husband booked for us to actually stay for the Valentine weekend. We were not dissapointed. The food was incredible with some amazing flavours, we had a 5 course meal on Friday night and planned to eat out on Saturday but we couldnt resist going back and sampling the dishes we didnt have the night before.
In addition to the food the hospitality and service was first class, from the owner Mary B Sweeney and her daughter to all the staff . Their friendliness was genuine and we were made to feel more like friends than Patrons. The house is fascinating and full of antiques. A real peice of history.

We plan to go back again in the summer and visit the house and the beautiful area to see it in a different light. The nearest large town is Letterkenny a couple of miles away.

Room Tip: There is no pool or fitness facilities.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ann B

Hi Ann,
Thank you so much for your review, I am delighted you decided to visit us again and am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us so much.
I will be sure to let the chefs know how much you enjoyed your meals.
I am so happy you felt so welcome , we work hard at making sure all our guests are made feel welcome and comfortable. As a family business we truly care about all of our guests and very much appreciate their business, so your review is very rewarding to us.
I hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

My husband took me here on 19th December for my birthday. We had not eaten here in a few years. It was simply wonderful the food was absolutely delicious and such good value. We had a delicious goats cheese salad starter followed by a gorgeous sorbet then turkey and ham simply divine and loads of it and a chocolate parfait for dessert gorgeous. We also had delicious homemade breads, a chefs appetiser and lovely tea and mince pies to finish all in all brillant. I would highly recommend and cannot wait to return. I was even serenaded by one of the waiters when told of my birthday. What a perfect birthday thank you to all.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

I would like to thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and of course I am thrilled our team was able to make you felt so special and welcome on your birthday.
I will be sure to let the chefs know how much you enjoyed the meal , we do work effortlessly to maintain high standards in the restaurant and throughout the hotel.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

We visited this country house hotel and restaurant in mid-December for my wife's birthday. The last time that we visited was around 2 years ago. The restaurant has certainly maintained its very high standards with regards to the quality food, ambience and service. We were not disappointed. We chose from the four-course festive menu and every course was extremely tasty with so much attention to detail. All in all, a great dining experience, not to mention the competitively priced menu which represented real value for money.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank george9009
Eirene S, Manager at Castle Grove Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2015

Hi Charlotte,
Happy New Year, hope 2015 will be kind to you.
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. We, as a team, are thrilled you enjoyed your stay so much, it's hard to top "best hotel stay ever" but we will continue to maintain and improve our services and always remain humble in doing so.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Thank you.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

I had fhe great pleasure of celebrating my wedding here on December 14th. From the mulled wine reception to the elegant christmas decor and open fires it was truely a dream winter wonderland themed wedding. Staff were extremely attentive to detail and made all my guests feel very welcome and well looked after.
Food was exceptional and all my guests said it was the best wedding food they ever had. We went for fillet steak and hake. Little extra touches like the sorbet after the started all added to the meal experience.
As the whole hotel is exclusively hired out when you book your wedding, it feels like "your" house for the day/night. All our guests also commented on this saying they felt so relaxed throughout the day as there was such a homely feel throughout in our intimate venue.
We had a guest list of 95 people and the function room was full with a great atmosphere as no table was too far away from the main one. The acoustics for the band and Dj are excellent and the dancefloor always seems packed compared to a larger venue with the same guest numbers. This all adds to the buzz. Some of our non dancing guests were still able to soak up the atmosphere from the adjoining bar or drawing room so you felt the whole group always stayed together.
I can highly recommend Castle Grove Hotel as a top class intimate wedding venue for it's attention to detail, superb Michelin Recommend restaurant food, fantastic acoustics and above all it's warm, friendly and relaxed feel. 10/10!!

• Stayed: December 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Letterkenny
Radisson Blu Hotel, Letterkenny
#6 of 12 in Letterkenny
Redcastle Hotel
Redcastle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Moville

Been to Castle Grove Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!