“Perfect end to a fantastic holiday”
Review of Sargasso - CLOSED

Sargasso
Cuisines: Irish, Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: At Sargasso we only source the best quality local produce from local farms and butchers in our surrounding area and fresh seafood from the pier in Killybegs.Head Chef Martin Hernandez cooks everything from scratch in house from stocks for sauces to our fresh breads and delicious desserts.
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Myself and my partner ate at Sargasso last Friday (23rd August) on our last night in Donegal after 10 fantastic days in Ireland's most beautiful county. We took our hosts out for dinner and as my partner's cousin knows Head Chef Martin Hernandez through his work in the school on Arranmore Island, him and his food came highly recommended. We have eaten at other restaurants in Letterkenny (Chilli Shaker and The Yellow Pepper) and been really impressed so Sargasso had a lot to live up to and it achieved that and so much more. As there was 6 of us and our 17 month old baby in our party we were seated on the large round table in the centre of the restaurant which was the perfect "people watching" spot and made for a lovely atmosphere. The waitresses were friendly and attentive and were quick to find answers to any queries that they didn't already know. We skipped the starters and decided en masse to opt for a main course and dessert combination but shortly after our orders were taken we were presented with a delightful amuse bouche of homemade vegetable soup which was the perfect accompaniment to the fresh pesto and wheaten bread that had been brought previously. 4 of us opted for the 12oz Sirloin served with spinach puree, onions and mushrooms and a pepper sauce, while 2 of us went with chips as the chosen accompaniment, myself and my partner ordered Champ. I have a very big "When in Rome..." philosophy when I eat out on holiday so have had Champ in a number of restaurants in Ireland and this was the best I have ever tasted. A generous quantity of both spring onion and white onion in a superb creamy mash potato was the perfect accompaniment to the sublime sirloin steak which had been cooked to perfection. Our 9 year old loved his fish and chips from the varied children's menu and my partners cousin thoroughly enjoyed her chicken pasta. Our 16 month old son was not forgotten though and his "Baby Bowl" of homemade mashed potato and gravy was gorgeous enough to silence him completely, which is a rare feat! I ordered the Nut Cluster dessert which was 3 generous scoops of delightful vanilla ice cream rolled in 3 different types of nuts, and served with chocolate and caramel sauces. I could have done with a touch more sauce but on the whole it was a really good dessert. My partner's Eton Mess was an ingenious twist on a classic and was very well received. Our 9 year old has eyes bigger than his belly and ordered the chocolate brownie from the childrens menu which, to my delight, was too much for him so I had the pleasure of finishing it! The bill was more than reasonable and as with most restaurants we have visited in Donegal, represented fantastic value for money for the food we had.
Martin Hernandez paid us a visit at the end of the meal to chat to us and see how we had enjoyed the meal and it was really good to chat to him and tell him how pleased we were. I hope he was as well received at the Taste Of Donegal Festival over the weekend as he was by us, we will definately be back!

2  Thank Matt L

Reviewed 20 August 2013

The entire meal was amazing, and the potato gratin was like heaven. Could have asked for a second helping for dessert. I had the Fillet steak and it was so tender. This was a special dinner out with family and we went to the right place. The wine was a perfect pairing with the dinner, and all of the timing of the meal was perfect. Coming from California, it was nice to be able to sit and enjoy a meal without having plates cleared the moment you finish a course. You could tell the chef loved what he does and he came out to check on us at the end of the meal. He talked about sourcing local ingredients to ensure the best quality food comes into his kitchen and arrives on the table. I really appreciate any restaurant who gets to know their vendors, focuses on taste and quality over how many tables they can turn in a night. Will definitely go back and would recommend it to anyone in the area. The restaurant itself is beautifully decorated and a relaxing, classy atmosphere.

2  Thank HeidiAK
Reviewed 18 August 2013

The food and service was excellent, the timeliness of the courses was spot on, and the food was cooked to perfection. Could not of asked for more.
Can wait until I return to Ireland to taste the food of the excellent chef Martin Hernandez again.

2  Thank mzbi0
Reviewed 2 August 2013

the best irish dinner during my honeymoon was here!!! amazing food, high quality, professional service, good price. i'm italian...i like good food, and this restaurant was a very good surprise for me and my wife!

2  Thank max_belluzzi
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The food and service is very good ,I had the tiger prawns while himself had the risotto for starters it was mouthwatering ,the hake for mains was delicious as was the salmon. Didn't have pudding but will come back another time . a really enjoyable meal .

2  Thank janette7Armagh