“nothing beats home cooking !!!”

The Poppyseed Bakery
Ranked #1 of 2 Bakeries in Letterkenny
Cuisines: French, Indian, Italian, Thai
Reviewed 31 August 2013

On holiday in donegal for our family 'gathering', we stopped off at the poppyseed bakery letterkenny on our way to glenveagh national park. Arriving in at 1pm, the restaurant was buzzing. We managed to get a table in the center of the room & ordered our meael from their well varied menu.
Everything is prepared on the premises and when you see the portions & taste the dishes, theres no mistake - its quality home cooking.
Special mention for the quiches, the seafood chowder, the original guinness bread...and the friendly staff.
A definite stop off point when in the area !

6  Thank TheCitrus C
Poppyseedbakery S, Owner at The Poppyseed Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

So glad you enjoyed your visit, hopefully we will see you again.maybe someday we will visit your restaurant in south of France too.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

We have ate here at least 3 times a week and not one complaint. Food is lovely, large portions and very reasonably priced! Desserts are beautiful also. Has everything on the menu nothing is a bother. Defo be back! !

5  Thank Leona D
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Called into the Poppyseed for lunch. Formerly the Vestry this restaurant is situated in a former church. Decor is fine and we found a seat and we ordered from the reasonably extensive menu. I opted for quiche and salad whilst my wife settled on the open prawn sandwich. Soon after I noticed a breakfast being served (it was about 1.30pm) and had no problems when I asked to change to that. The Poppyseed is also a bakery and does a fine range of homemade breads. Our food arrived very promptly and we were not disappointed. My wife's sandwich was literally LOADED with prawns, served on their own homemade wheaten bread with a salad. My breakfast was of the large variety with coffee and 2 slices of toast. One thing I really liked was being offered the choice of white or brown bread toast without having to ask for it. All the staff were very nice but I must mention in particular our server Carrie, who was friendly, chatty and more than helpful. While food is obviously very important I feel that a big strength of the Poppyseed is it's staff and I would give them 100% for friendliness and efficiency.
Overall I would rate the Poppyseed very high and prices are very reasonable. Close to Letterkenny town centre, I hope this restaurant goes from strength to strength and I look forward to my next visit.

8  Thank skeffderry
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Ive had a few lovely lunches now in the poppyseed bakery at the Old Vesty in Letterkenny. Its location is convenient if you are visiting the town park or the hospital and it has some customer parking tot the front so you dont have to pay the hospital carpark prices on the upper road. I had a chilli chicken panini and the ingrediants were all fresh with a very tasty sauce on the chicken. It had an accompanying side salad with a beautiful dressing which i must ask for the receipe for next time i visit. There are also lots of fresh buns and cakes which my son really enjoys as a treat and i have to say i love the banana bread myself and just wish it came in a no calorie version. The staff are extremely friendly and you can tell its a family run business

5  Thank clare c