“Wi-Fi in rooms???”

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Letterkenny
Sligo, Ireland
“Wi-Fi in rooms???”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Stayed here with my husband on a Saturday and Sunday night. We got up early on Sunday morning for breakfast to avoid the "rush" from 10 - 10.30. Breakfast was nice, good choice and the place was quiet. It didn't seem to get any busier when we were passing later! Room was adequate. Very cold when we returned to the room Saturday night, so turned on the air-conditioning and it warmed up nicely, but it can be quiet noisy. Definitely need to do something with them shower curtains...my husband had a shower and flooded the bathroom as the curtain was either stuck to you or over the edge and hence floods the place. Breakfast on Monday morning was a little disappointing. We went down for breakfast later and felt like we were keeping the staff from doing something else. When I asked for rashers with my breakfast...I got ONE!! Its not like there wasn't anymore there, talk about stingy!! Went to make a second slice of toast for myself....the toaster was gone.

We tried to get the internet on our laptop as it's on the hotels website that wi-fi is available in all rooms. No luck! Contacted reception who said we should have no problem accessing it where our room was located, but recommended going out to the corridor to see if we could pick up the wi-fi signal and then going back to our room. Yep, it worked out on the corridor but as soon as we went back to our room, we lost the signal...not impressed!!

The walls must be paper thin, as I was woke up one morning by the guests in the next room just talking.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Polish first
Donegal
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I eat here often and have to say that in 4 years, I have never been disappointed by their food. The service is warm, the produce used is top quality and tastes amazing. A great place for a business lunch when you are looking for something for more than tea/coffee and a sandwich. The menu changes daily, but always has hearty Irish fare.

Superb

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Robert78
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 13 November 2011

I am just back from a flying visit to letterkenny, while on a road trip around Donegal. This hotel is in a perfect location right in the town centre. I stayed with a friend and our twin room was spacious and very clean with one queen and one single bed. Great value at €59 Advance purchase on a room only basis. Parking was no problem, with lots of spaces and it was easily found. The staff at the hotel are fantastic! Paul the night porter was very friendly, helpful and genuinely a nice person.
The general vibe from the hotel is a mod, sleek one. When I visit letterkenny again I will definately be staying in Gallaghers.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank BeanIreland
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Extremely rude receptionist who seemed to be on a power trip. She would not let me up to the room to my partner who had booked in earlier and basically accussed me of being a '[---]'.The receptionist also accessed my partners laser card WITHOUT permission. I WOULD in NO way recommended this hotel due to the treated I received.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Annie_8924
gallaghers1, Front Office Manager at Mcgettigan's Hotel Letterkenny, responded to this review, 17 November 2011
Gallagher’s Hotel is open and welcome to all comments and constructive criticisms; however the comments above are completely unjustifiable.

Your partner had rang Gallagher’s Hotel, and booked a Single room (1 person) at the rate of €50.00. Your partner checked in confirmed all his details with the receptionist, signed the registration form and paid for a single room at no time was the receptionist asked to make any changes to the booking. You arrived to the Hotel shortly after and informed the member of Reception that you were checking into the room. At this point the receptionist informed you that the room was only booked as a single room and if you were staying you would be required to sign in the Hotel and pay the extra as the room would now change from a single room to a double room.
At this point you became rude and aggressive and accused the receptionist of “looking down on you”, which was certainly not the case. Gallagher’s Hotel sell rooms on a per person sharing basis, we do not allow rooms to be sold on a single room basis then have other people arrive and stay for FREE!!!

Gallagher’s Hotel has been in business for the last 6 years and employs well trained experienced staff, The receptionist was merely doing her job, checking in guests and taking payment for rooms, also knowing that had you not signed into the Hotel and returned to the Hotel late in the evening you would have been denied access into the Hotel as the night manager’s report would have shown that only one person was booked into the room.

The receptionist rang your partner to the room and explained the situation to him, she had apologised for any inconvenience caused to both of you as she was so taken back by your attitude towards her. At this point you demanded to speak to the Manager on Duty, which again you became rude and aggressive towards him raising your voice in the foyer of the Hotel and basically causing a scene over something which was totally avoidable and totally uncalled for. Your partner’s card was used for the extra payment which he was aware of. Had the extra payment not have been taken you would have been asked to leave the Hotel.
Your partner booked a single room knowing that the room was to be used as a double room. I find your comments and your behaviour within the Hotel completely unacceptable, deceiving and disrespectful.
Reviewed 7 November 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights for our anniversary. Gallaghers is in great location in leterkenny town 5min walk from local bars and clubs... Reception and bar and restaurant area looks good but the corridors need work as the carpet is looks like it's not put down correctly, also the bathroom in our room was very small especially the bath as it was difficult to have a shower without the curtain sticking to you and my boyfriend had to stand sideways when taking a shower... On the plus side room was cleaned every day and was spotless every day.. Barstaff and receptionist were friendly.. We had a meal in restaurant on the first night and we had to wait nearly an hour for just a main course which was a bit pricey too... Overall it was an average hotel to stay in. Not as good as we had hoped.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Burkery25
Ballinasloe, Ireland
Reviewed 3 November 2011

My fiancee and I stayed here while holidaying around Donegal. We got a cracking deal of 4nights B&B and 4 4-course dinners for €260 total! We hadn't stayed here before and knew little about the hotel and considering the price we paid, we were a little apprehensive!

However, we were not to be dissapointed. The staff were so nice and very helpful and our room was lovely. Because we were on the 'package deal', the dinner menu was limited, but this was to be expected. The food on it was very nice, if perhaps a little 'quirky' (one dish I had was chicken stuffed with salmon ....with prawns.... sounds weird, but it tasted nice!) Also my fiancee is vegetarian, and even though the menu only had one vegetarian option, the waiter ensured the chief cooked up something different for her every night. This really meant a lot, as you can imagine.

If I had one critcism it would be the hotel layout and lifts. For some reason (perhaps the hotel being built on a slope?) it is not possible to access the reception directly from the lift servicing the underground carpark. You have to take the lift to one floor, then follow a long winding corridor to take another lift to the reception.

This aside, I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Letterkenny. Clean, tastful and excellent value for money. We will most certainly be back!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
ballymoney
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We booked 2 rooms for Saturday 29th October. This was our second time staying at the hotel. The staff were much more friendly this time however the hotel building has not improved. We stayed in the bridal suite and the other couple stayed in a standard double room. The carpets in the corridors do not fit. On arrival in our room the door to the ourside hottub area was broken. The walls were covered in green algae and in general could do with a tidy up. The Bathroom in the bridal suite was clean however the water was a strange shade of yellow. The Bathroom in the standard bedroom was a little tired and grubby.

Room Tip: I would recommend the bridal suite but make sure that the hotel staff are aware you will want the ho...