Mcgettigan's Hotel Letterkenny
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Letterkenny
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I feel like I'm sitting on rocks here as I type this. The chairs need to be replaced or redone. I requested a non smoking room on the upper floor. The room is not on an upper floor.It is right off an alley with a lot of noise. I checked in and rather then tell me at the time how to use the wifi I had to go back to the reception and get instructions for bit buzz. I don't think I'll come back. No pool or fitness centre.

Room Tip: Go some where else!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
JonathanTopping, General Manager at Mcgettigan's Hotel Letterkenny, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear Boccigallupo,

Thank you for your review of your stay. I'm sorry you didn't like the feel of our seats. You were accommodated in an upper floor of the hotel, however as the hotel is built on the side of a hill, the rooms at the rear are nearer the ground. I'm sorry you were disappointed that we don't have a pool or fitness centre however we do not advertise that we have these facilities anywhere! I hope you will be back in Letterkenny soon and will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in August with my family for three nights. First impressions were good but that quickly changed after meeting the staff at the front desk. the girl at reception did not welcome us at all and seemed quite eager to push us along. we have two small children aged 4 and 6..the youngest said hello to the receptionist who in turn totally blanked her! Friendliness scored a zero right there and then! we were happy with the rooms spacious wise but were disappointed in the lack of towels and toiletries supplied for a family. Cleaners never left new toilet rolls either. Location is good as in its central but our room overlooked a side street where young clubbers decided to start fighting and swearing outside our room waking our children up. My husband rang down to the night porter but he said they were not guests so if we had a problem we should ring the guards ourselves. I will definately not return to this hotel and would warn all parents with families to avoid this place.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank holly824

Dear holly824,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay in Gallaghers Hotel. I'm really disappointed that you didn't enjoy your stay, particularly that you felt my team were not friendly as this is something for which we are renowned. I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you and show you the genuine hospitality and warm welcome that is highlighted in so many other reviews on this site.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Stayed for two nights with my twin for my birthday celebration upgrading to their suite. The hotel was very clean and the room was lovely. There are however many negatives to my time staying here. As a surprise my brother's girlfriend and mine came down to visit us on Monday night..we went out to a bar that night and when returning to the hotel the night porter told us the gfs were not allowed as it was residents only. The girls were wanting to stay as they had driven a long distance so they asked how much it was for a room, the night porter told us 89 euro. My brother and I booked through hotels.com cheaper at 49 euro so my girlfriend rang them instead to get a room. Hotels.com asked to speak to whoever was on duty so my girlfriend handed the phone to the night porter. He then responded to her saying ''its ok go on ahead''. My gf asked are you sure and his reponse was yes. Upon leaving the hotel, the two girls were charged 100 euro!!!! absolutely ridiculous...especially when the girls were more than willing to pay!! Secondly, we were accused of smoking in the room when none of us even smoke...strange?! This was probably caused by residents before us as there was strangely plastic or something over the smoke alarm...something which we did not remove. Thirdly, we accidently broke a glass bottle of the complimentary room water and admitted to it. My gf tried to pick the glass up and clean but cut her hand so I insisted she left it until the cleaners could lift it safely with a brush and pan. We got charged for this broken glass...and for the water spillage on the carpet which was obviously wet!!! A wake up call was asked for in order to be up on time for breakfast...we woke at 10.50 and rang down for breakfast to be told it stopped serving at 10.30...we received no call. Reception said they rang however when we asked for proof they said it was on the system but they would not show it to us...! The manageress was extremely rude to us all, including hanging up the phone when we rang after. The reason we upgraded to the suite was for the jacuzzi but upon arrival we were told it was not available for health and safety reasons?! stupid! We will never be back to this hotel as the service and customer care was ridiculous. We contacted hotels.com to share our awful experience and they very kindly compensated us with vouchers but honestly nothing would make this hotel experience any better!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank JAYHEANEY

Dear Jay Heaney,

Thank you for your review of you stay in Gallaghers Hotel. Since reading your review I have investigated your issues and I believe that a number of your issues result in a breakdown in communication between members of my team and for that I apologise. As you can read from the numerous other reviews on this and other sites we take pride in the levels of service and hospitality that we provide and it appears that on this occasion we have failed to meet out own high standards. I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you and I look forward to welcoming you back to Gallaghers Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 20th -22nd September for our anniversary. We where checked in very quickly and staff where very friendly. Room was very clean and done the job. Only negatives were having to take 2 lifts to get to the room & 2 to get back out as our room was on 3rd floor. Also car parking was a bit of a nightmare as it was full but not a lot the hotel could do on that front.

Location is great and yes we would return!

• Stayed: September 2013
JonathanTopping, General Manager at Mcgettigan's Hotel Letterkenny, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Dear Shiv2010,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay in Gallaghers Hotel. I'm really pleased you enjoyed your stay. I understand your feedback regarding the lifts, however as the hotel is situated on a steep hill, the building was designed this way. Free carparking in a city centre hotel will always be limited due to space, however we do try to ensure that our 40 spaces are utilised as efficiently as possible. I hope you will be back in Ireland and more specifically Letterkenny soon and will give us another opportunity to serve you in Gallaghers Hotel.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Stayed 1 night in this hotel September 2013. Location was great. Reasonably priced. Staff was very welcoming at front desk. Rooms were spacious and clean. Didn't get to eat in restaurant. Small thing....parking and elevators are a bit confusing in hotel.
Would forsure stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Heidi0329

Dear Heidi0329,

Thank you for your recent kind comments regarding your stay in Gallaghers Hotel. I'm really delighted you enjoyed your stay and I'm pleased you recognised the warm welcome and genuine hospitality that our front desk, indeed all our staff, deliver. I hope you will be back in Ireland soon and I can welcome you back to Gallaghers Hotel.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Stayed with my sister for 1 night to blow off some steam in a great location and reasonably priced!
Rooms were spacious & clean totally loved it.
Checked out the menu for dinner and other than the fact we had dinner plans would have loved to have eaten here as the menu looked amazing!
I had a full breakfast the next day and I have to say it was very good.
Staff were brilliant, cheerful and just generally nice and friendly. Not a thing more that I can say about this great hotel tho the parking facilities not great!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank AileenP

Dear AileenP,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay in Gallaghers Hotel. I, and the team, really appreciate receiving such positive feedback and I hope I will see you back in Letterkenny and at Gallaghers Hotel soon,

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Stayed 7 days this September on a Golfing trip, 12 Americans and 12 irish.
Breakfast great, staff very attentive, came back after a wet day and manager
Brought up heaters to room for us to dry out. Could not do enough for us!
Excellent bar, great location. Will be back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Antoinette C, General Manager at Mcgettigan's Hotel Letterkenny, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Dear Dublin Harry70,

It was a such a pleasure to welcome both yourself and your group to Gallagher's Hotel, the team and I are delighted to read you lovely comments regarding your recent stay with us and I am so pleased you enjoyed everything we had to offer. Indeed that was an extremely wet day and it was my pleasure that I was able to help you in any way I was only too delighted to be able to assist . Looking forward to your next trip to Letterkenny and Gallagher's Hotel.
Many thanks &