“Wedding guest- won't be back” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Barberstown Castle

Barberstown Castle
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Straffan
Dublin, Ireland
“Wedding guest- won't be back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed recently as a wedding guest. Our room was pleasant but on a noisy main corridor, shower disappointing, toiletries very average, no after hours food on offer, staff out on floor serving wedding meal were pleasant but seemed stressed, the two ladies behind this bar were rather rude & incompetent. Poorly stocked bar. €178 wedding rate- steep

• Stayed December 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Irisheyes20162016

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

I stayed here for one night in early December for a friend's wedding. It is a charming hotel/castle which gives it the best of both worlds. I checked into my room and was thrilled to have a four poster bed - just made it all the more magical. The wedding was taking place in the chapel on site followed by a meal in the banqueting hall. Everything was flawless, food was stunning and the open log fires everywhere were just so homely and welcoming. One thing I did find but I blame the weather is that it was a little bit chilly in the banqueting hall itself and in the breakfast room in the morning. However, I was probably underdressed for the temperatures.

Otherwise, the stay was just incredible. I loved coming back to my room to see the curtains pulled, bedside lamps on and a chocolate on my pillow - it is definitely the little things. I also ordered a pot of tea to my room and whether it was just because it was tea or because the waiter felt sorry for me in my Bruce Springsteen t-shirt and pink with blue polka dot PJs, it was complimentary which I wasn't expecting.

Fabulous experience and beautiful location - definitely will be returning in the near future.

Ger in Dublin

Room Tip: Choose a 4 poster bed room - seriously, it's worth it.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Kildare Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

We arrived and were greeted by very friendly staff who showed us to our room. Lovely big room with four poster bed. Old worlde in decor but very modern for everything else. Rooms were very clean and warm. Bed really comfy. Bathroom was very high standard. Very clean and lots of towels. We had a meal which was lovely . Delicious in fact. We were greeted by the "Ghost" of Barberstown Castle who told us of the history of the place. Very interesting and enteraining. Only negative I would have that the bar prices are very high indeed. 2 glasses of white wine and one small bottle of soda water over €18. Otherwise excellent

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Kildare, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

Tried to book an event in this hotel and it was the worst experience of my life! Staff made us feels like they were doing us a favour by letting us spend out money there…. The staff were rude and when we did go for lunch we were told they don’t cater for children that they would have to eat from the menu and pay full prise! Never again will I or any of my extended family set food inside this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank mikey2006377
Kildare, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Myself, my husband and our baby daughter had the pleasure of staying a night in the castle a week ago. From arrival it was just a joy, the peace and tranquillity is just wonderful as you park and head to reception where the nicest staff greet you - you instantly feel welcome. We had a beautiful four poster suite that was to say Perfect would be an understatement; it’s the little details and touches that make it. They had kindly left a cot for us and I have contacted them previously and they helped to arrange a local girl to baby sit while we went to dinner. The dinner was super and it was a medieval night so there was entertainment and we learned all about the castle while was really interesting to be honest.
Breakfast was run to perfection and the food delicious, felt very relaxed and at home
In my option it’s the perfect stay - its relaxed, great food, unstated not pretentious luxury, excellent staff and service and I will be back in the next few weeks -
I feel its a trip where I can really relax and enjoy and believe me plently to enjoy especially the wonderful wine list :)

Room Tip: Its worth the extra - upgrade to a suite - fab , spacious and perfect if you need the room for a cot...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

I booked here for a one night short break. The room was EUR180, including breakfast which is a lot. However, we felt we got value for that. We arrived on a Sunday evening and were upgraded. The room was enormous, four poster bed, everything in excellent condition. Yes, it is dated but that, for us, was part of its charm. We had afternoon tea and dinner in the tearooms. The food was nicely done and we were very happy to sit quietly by the fire. As others have noted, there are no tea facilities in the rooms but we felt this was an improvement: you just ring reception and the tea and coffee are complementary and are deliver to your room. Proper tea in a proper cup with proper milk was, for me, far better than struggling with tiny packets!

As such, not cheap, but it gave us what we wanted. We felt welcome - the staff were not as well-trained as they might be but were attentive and friendly. Would return.

Room Tip: I had 65, on the first floor and it was lovely and spacious. Use the staircase instead of the lift...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dublin2010-16
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a family room with my wife and two kids. It has been a long time since We experienced such old fashioned hospitality and staff who were all willing to go the extra mile to make our stay a sucess.

Food in Fine Dining Rooms was absolutely mouth watering. Breakfast sausages and bacon were tasty, ny wife and daughter had perfectly cooked poached eggs.

It has been a long time since we enjoyed being spoiled and welcomed so warmly.

I was worried the kuds woukd be bored but they loved the log fires and thought the automatic lawnmowers were like daleks turning up unexpextedly.

We will absolutely be back and cant recommend it enough.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Straffan
The K Club
Clontarf Castle Hotel
Clontarf Castle Hotel
#4 of 153 in Dublin
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,569 reviews

Been to Barberstown Castle? Share your experiences!